Alternatives to Apple's BlueTooth wireless mouse?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've ordered an iMac G5 with the Bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard. According to the FedEx page it should arrive tomorrow. Although this is my first Mac, I already know I won't like the mouse. As a PC user, I am pretty used to using multiple mouse buttons and the scroll wheel on my mouse. I use these extensively in applications and when browsing the web.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the Apple bundled Bluetooth wireless mouse which has multiple buttons and a scroll wheel? (I'm primarily interested in another bluetooth mouse at this point.)

Thanks,

-- Mehdi --

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    If you're going for wireless, the best on the market right now is the Logitech MX 1000 which sells for about $67 . It's the first mouse to use Laser technology and the most accurate on the market.

If you wanna save a few bucks, the MX 700 is the same design but uses a convential optical sensor (though its currently one of the best). Both MX 700 and 1000 use a lithium battery recharged by a dock.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mehdimehdi Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

If you're going for wireless, the best on the market right now is the Logitech MX 1000 which sells for about $67

I wasn't clear in my message, I guess. I would like to replace the original Apple Bluetooth wireless mouse, with anothe Bluetooth wireless mouse... one that offers multiple buttons and a scroll wheel.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    hmm bt mice are a touch laggy for my liking
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ripkord

hmm bt mice are a touch laggy for my liking

no delays here. i'm very happy with the apple wireless mouse. its funny too, because when i have a multi button mouse, i use right-click all the time, but i dont even notice that its gone when i go back to my apple bt mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    azazaazaza Posts: 19member
    Check out the Bluetake BT500 - 2 button and scroll wheel, takes 2 x AAA non rechargeable batteries. Smaller than any other mouse, fits my large, male hand perfectly under the fingers rather than under the palm.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mehdi

I wasn't clear in my message, I guess. I would like to replace the original Apple Bluetooth wireless mouse, with anothe Bluetooth wireless mouse... one that offers multiple buttons and a scroll wheel.

why must it be bluetooth? BT kinda sucks..

Logitech has the highest refresh rate right now at exactly USB speeds--giving it as much power as a corded mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    OK I've finally found out why you don't want to use bluetooth for your mouse:

1. they refresh 80x a second

2. USB refreshes 125x a second

3. Logitech's MX900 + MX1000 refresh 125x a second

Bluetooth is for low-power data devices like cell phones and PDAs, 802.11* is for high-bandwidth computers, Logitech's proprietary tech is for mice and keyboards.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Try using Microsoft's BT mouse; it works OK except that it guzzles batteries (around once every month and a half).

Quote:

I've ordered an iMac G5 with the Bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard. According to the FedEx page it should arrive tomorrow. Although this is my first Mac, I already know I won't like the mouse. As a PC user, I am pretty used to using multiple mouse buttons and the scroll wheel on my mouse. I use these extensively in applications and when browsing the web.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the Apple bundled Bluetooth wireless mouse which has multiple buttons and a scroll wheel? (I'm primarily interested in another bluetooth mouse at this point.)

Thanks,

-- Mehdi --

• Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

why must it be bluetooth? BT kinda sucks..

Logitech has the highest refresh rate right now at exactly USB speeds--giving it as much power as a corded mouse.

It's very nice not having any wires and/or dongles hanging from the machine. I rather not add anything else to the machine and keep it clean.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

OK I've finally found out why you don't want to use bluetooth for your mouse:

1. they refresh 80x a second

2. USB refreshes 125x a second

3. Logitech's MX900 + MX1000 refresh 125x a second

Bluetooth is for low-power data devices like cell phones and PDAs, 802.11* is for high-bandwidth computers, Logitech's proprietary tech is for mice and keyboards.

I have not noticed any lag with the Apple Bluetooth Wireless keyboard and mouse. Now, I'm not a game player, and have not used these extensively yet (I just received the machine on Firday, 11/5), but so far they don't seem to be any different than my wired KB & mouse.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Try using Microsoft's BT mouse; it works OK except that it guzzles batteries (around once every month and a half).

Thanks for the suggestion... Battery life shouldn't be a problem for me. Thanks to Costco pricing, I've converted all my devices to rechargable batteries.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion... Battery life shouldn't be a problem for me. Thanks to Costco pricing, I've converted all my devices to rechargable batteries.

The Logitech Bluetooth MX 900 mouse is the way to go for BT mice! Works great with a BT capable mac (just dont connect the cradle's USB cable to your mac, use the macs BT module instead...). Its ergonomic and has enough buttons to configure

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

The Logitech Bluetooth MX 900 mouse is the way to go for BT mice! Works great with a BT capable mac (just dont connect the cradle's USB cable to your mac, use the macs BT module instead...). Its ergonomic and has enough buttons to configure

This sounds like an excellent idea. I do like Logitech's products. I will call them tomorrow to see if the MX900 mouse itself (without the cradle) is capable of communicating with the iMac's built-in Bluetooth module.

Thanks,

-- Mehdi --
  • Reply 14 of 19
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

This sounds like an excellent idea. I do like Logitech's products. I will call them tomorrow to see if the MX900 mouse itself (without the cradle) is capable of communicating with the iMac's built-in Bluetooth module.

Thanks,

-- Mehdi --

I have tried the MX900 mouse without the cradle connected with my BT enabled PowerBook, and it works fine. You cannot install and use the software that comes with it to configure the buttons, but I am pretty sure you can use a third party application. I know there is one application that does this, but I can't rememeber the name for it. They even sell the MX900 at my local apple store (non-apple operate).

• Reply 15 of 19
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

I have tried the MX900 mouse without the cradle connected with my BT enabled PowerBook, and it works fine. You cannot install and use the software that comes with it to configure the buttons, but I am pretty sure you can use a third party application. I know there is one application that does this, but I can't rememeber the name for it. They even sell the MX900 at my local apple store (non-apple operate).

USB Overdrive
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I just got a MX 1000.. ridiculous buttons - and what I have them set to:

Left Click - left click

RIght Click - right (control) click

scroll button - option click

mousewheel up - scroll up

Mousewheel down - scroll down

mousewheel LEFT - scroll left

mousewheel RIGHT - scroll right

cruise up (right above wheel) - page up

cruise down (right below wheel) - page down

thumb up button (A thumb button) - F11 expose

thumb middle button (A thumb button) - F9 expose

thumb down button (A thumb button) - command click

I trained myself to use them in less than a day, but it's been a week and I'm not to the "can't live without them stage"... aside from the various clicks, which I had with my mouseman dual optical before.

I'd recommend this mouse to everyone. I use it for games, photoshop, and (as you can see from my buttons), everything else.

I just wish the drivers had profiles, cuz I'm sure as hell not buying a copy of USB overdrive after paying $70 for a freakin mouse!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I thought I wouldn't be able to live without right clicking and a scroll wheel.. But after getting the apple bt wireless mouse, I don't notice anymore. I especially like how you can adjust the tension of the click, no more accidental clickings like with the old mice. As for right clicking, just hold down Control while clicking, and for scrolling down a page, the up down left right keys are your friend. I pretty much have one hand on the mouse and the other on the up down left right buttons, kinda spreads out the work (reverse reasoning). But I think any bt wireless mouse is compatible basically.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I had a very early MS BT mouse and hated it, the batteries lasted a few weeks at best and it went to sleep too quickly, meaning it took a second or so to restart. Drove me nuts so gave it to a mate. I expect they are better these days but I don't know for sure.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

I had a very early MS BT mouse and hated it, the batteries lasted a few weeks at best and it went to sleep too quickly, meaning it took a second or so to restart. Drove me nuts so gave it to a mate. I expect they are better these days but I don't know for sure.

Yeah, the mx1000 goes to sleep but wakes up so fast I don't even notice, that's probably why they shortened the sleep time to 8 seconds.

Again, I play games with this thing and I had a mouseman dual optical before (which is the best corded mouse out there IMO). I can honestly say this is the best mouse EVAR

PS. The reports of it turning off when you lift it and taking a long time to reset were isolated to the beta releases.