Some dumb questions now that I have the new G5.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thanks in advance - you guys (and gals) are quick and helpful. I appreciate your responses to my dumb questions. I am fairly mac savvy just dont want to screw anything up...

My new 1.6 gig G5 (imac) just arrived from the apple store. It came with the lousy 256ram and I want to max out the memory and install it myself (hopefully the apple support site will show me how).

My question:

1-Where is the best place to get a deal on memory? Prices I should be lookin for?

2-How much memory can I add to this G5? 512MB DDR PC3200

for $100 @ all4memory the best deal? I figure I could add a gig right?

3-Is it easy to install? Where the heck does it go?

4-Is it safe to keep my external drive connected to my computer (turned on with the xdrive icon on my new G5 desktop) all the time until I get this memory thing squared away?

5-2ndly, when I transferred over my stuff from a laptop that I recently purchased from a friend, I transferred her home folder name "Robin" I was able to change the admin to me with my own password, but the home folder has her name. How do I ger rid of that w/ out doing a clean install?

6 - 3rdly, my friend keeps telling me that it's not good to have folders and documents that I access from the desktop, verusus the hardrive. That the files can get corrupted. I have been doing this for 5 years and nothing bad has happened. Should I keep things on the HD and create folders on the doc (aliases?)

Are there any cool things to look out for with the new G5 that I may be unaware of besides the fact that this thing barely makes a sound!?

Thanks. I may come up with more dumb questions and I hope you will bare with me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    The manual that came with your iMac G5 shows you how to install memory yourself, you don't need need to consult any web site. It's very easy to do (took me about 5 minutes). The maximum it will take is 2 GB (this isn't a limitation of the G5, but a limitation of the iMac because it only has 2 slots). As far as RAM prices, I paid $69 each for two 512 modules (so it cost me $138 to bring it up to 1 GB).

As far as the desktop, well it can get kind of messy, but it will not cause any of your files to become corrupted. It's up to you really where you put your files. I prefer to keep my documents in the Documents folder, but that's just because I don't like my desktop to become cluttered. It's up to you.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    1/2/3:

Memory specs:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86814

Crucial's a good place to start for memory.

www.crucial.com

Installation should be discussed in the product manual... but anyway here's the link:

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/p.../B033-2496.pdf

Other DIY part installations:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300205
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ah thank you. you guys rock.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craftymacgirl

4-Is it safe to keep my external drive connected to my computer (turned on with the xdrive icon on my new G5 desktop) all the time until I get this memory thing squared away?

5-2ndly, when I transferred over my stuff from a laptop that I recently purchased from a friend, I transferred her home folder name "Robin" I was able to change the admin to me with my own password, but the home folder has her name. How do I ger rid of that w/ out doing a clean install?

4) I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I keep an external drive connected to my machine all the time.

5) Personally I would set up a brand new account and give it administrative access. Then, move the pieces of the "Robin" home folder into your own. If you have specific things from the folder you want to have work in the new account, I'm sure some of us here can give you more specific instructions.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Answer for #5

-------------

Select the directory "Robin" and hit CMD-I to bring up the Get Info window. Expand all the triangles under "Ownership & Permissions" and unlock the lock icon by clicking on it. Change the owner to your account and you will be able to edit the name of the folder, drag it to the trash or whatever...

Answer for #6

-------------

It makes no difference whether you store files on the Desktop or visually under the HDD icon. The Desktop is just another folder that is actually located at :Users:your-nameesktop . In general you want to keep all your files organized inside your own folder (somewhere behind :Users:your-name) since OS X is really set-up as a multi-user environment.