Keyspan Express Remote for Airtunes :(

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Um, what's wrong with this picture?

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/urm17a/

Sure, it provides a stab at what a lot of people have been asking for (remote for Airtunes that's cheap and easy!), but it's INFRARED!

Duh? If I have line of site to my Mac I hardly need a remote. I need one to control the Mac in the other room (Bluetooth, RF?). Sure, I can do it via Salling Clicker and my BT phone, but I don't usually leave my phone at home so that my wife can listen to music.

This is just silly. I wonder how many people will be tricked into buying this without realizing that it's line of sight only.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Duh? If I have line of site to my Mac I hardly need a remote. I need one to control the Mac in the other room (Bluetooth, RF?).

According to what I read, it also can be plugged into the Airport Express itself, which apparently has a USB port... so check that out and see if it's true before you get your panties in a bunch.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Some people can just never be satisfied!!!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Some people can just never be satisfied!!!

OK, I see it can be plugged into Airport Express (this was not posted with the initial announcement).

I'll shut up now. Good product. Love it. Ignore me.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

OK, I see it can be plugged into Airport Express (this was not posted with the initial announcement).

I'll shut up now. Good product. Love it. Ignore me.

yes it was.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hasn't anyone found the ATI Remote Wonder. I have one and it works great controlling iTunes from almost everywhere in my house. Then again I have a stupid PC so maybe they are not compatible with Macs. Nonetheless its a great product. Also, I found a Forum devoted specifically for this remote and a lot of people have done some really cool stuff with it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Sounds like a very cool remote concept, but I have been having very good luck with my WiFi enabled pocketPC running remoteamp. No line of sight issues, and more importantly I can view a list of songs and the playlists on the pocketPC's screen. Too bad that this Keyspan remote does not include a video out to display the iTunes screen or some approximation of it on a TV screen or other monitor. I feel this limits the usability of this remote as I have to somehow remember all the songs in my library to make full use of it. Other media bridges have this feature and it makes it so useful. Perhaps this functionality is coming. After all, the Keyspan remote interacts with firmware in the Airport Express that was not made public at the time of its release... who knows what else may be hidden in there!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Similar thing, I use sailing clicker on either my palm or my SE phone works great can see the playlists on the palm! But my mac still has a cable running from it to my stereo, how old fashioned huh? I seriously want a Airport express for the living room - next purchase I guess.