HTML email creation

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anybody recommend an app for creating cool HTML emails?

Similar in concept to the Apple .Mac or Quicktime email list messages.

I need to create an e-newsletter for a non-profit organization I work with.

It's a membership based organization.

I absolutely, positively promise that this is not for use for the creation of unsolicited emails or spamming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Can anybody recommend an app for creating cool HTML emails?

Similar in concept to the Apple .Mac or Quicktime email list messages.

I need to create an e-newsletter for a non-profit organization I work with.

It's a membership based organization.

I absolutely, positively promise that this is not for use for the creation of unsolicited emails or spamming.

you can use any html authoring application such as dreamweaver, golive, and bbedit.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Ok, I've created a mockup in GoLive.

But I can't figure out how to get the html message into Mail.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

On that question we just use Mozilla Mail. Work out the code in BBEdit, then create a new message in Mozilla Mail and the option is up there somewhere. Insert HTML, or something similar. A sheet will drop where you can paste your code into.

Our news letter is archaic though, and I'd like to design a new one. At the same time I'm a standards-whore and love my stylesheets but, from what I observe, old-skool HTML is best for these "pages". I've also heard software exists for companies to make great looking (and cross-client friendly) pages but cost money big money.

I'm not sure I want to be running a dozen different email clients just to check out my newsletters will look to others. Then again I recently "discovered" RSS.

/me shudders at the thought of multiple versions of Outlook Express running
  • Reply 4 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Mail just won't send HTML emails. Well, it sends them but it sends them as plain text. Someone here was experimenting with it a while back. You might try a different email app. While you're thinking, though, is there really anything in your newsletter that you can't get across with formatted text and a link to a web page? I know HTML emails can look cool, but it still annoys me every time I get one. At the very least, make sure you include a plain-text alternative for people who either can't or don't render HTML in their email app.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Mail just won't send HTML emails. Well, it sends them but it sends them as plain text. Someone here was experimenting with it a while back. You might try a different email app. While you're thinking, though, is there really anything in your newsletter that you can't get across with formatted text and a link to a web page? I know HTML emails can look cool, but it still annoys me every time I get one. At the very least, make sure you include a plain-text alternative for people who either can't or don't render HTML in their email app.

I took a cue from my college computer security professor and automatically relegate all HTML email to the trash. I do this because of all the 'web bugs' and other trackers can only be activated by allowing the HTML content to be loaded from the 'net.

I agree with Towel, create a text email with formatting, and provide a link to a web page with your newsletter.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I second Towel and PBG4Dude. Do a plain-text mail with a link. HTML emails are trashed with extreme predjudice here. Just too many potential problems.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I hate them to guys and I'm not speaking for Frank why I say this, but it doesn't matter how you guys feel. When I was wrangled into email newsletters I showed my boss a fairly nice looking text version I whipped up in BBEdit complete with ascii do-dads but that dog wouldn't hunt.

We only send newsletters to those who are subscribed. Basically they asked for it. I will soon begin experimenting with RSS but newsletters will probably still be a reality afterwards.

Instead of putzing around with a mishmash of PC hardware I'd love to be working with Mac hardware around the office. Dreams and reality never converge for me
  • Reply 8 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Absolutely. I actually enjoy getting the Apple newsletters, so I thought I'd try to emulate them for this project.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    HTML- mail's are great for good business relations. and bad for spam.

maxprog's MaxBulk Mailer X has ended up as my choice. Very good address list handeling. (con: shareware, but worth it).

Imailist is simple, powerful and free. Seems to work good as well. Better HTML previewing, but ot so many features.

There are others as well.

Remember the key to html-mails is to keep the CSS and the images online.

:-)