Apple acquisition possibilities.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Avid. They make some nice stuff themselves, but their subsidiaries would be an even better pickup and a great compliment for logic.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Since VoIP is apparently the next big thing, maybe Apple should take a long hard look at Skype. It seems to me like this application might be much more than just a fad. If Apple would buy in now, it might score big.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Coincidentally, i happened to just recently receive my normal /. headlines and one was about Skype. After finally doing all the info i could stand i decided to close up and got to bed when i see a little red one on the dock. Sure enough, it is you talking about skype.

Why do i tell you this, because i want to know if you happened to have just read the same /. (slash) engadget thing as i read?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Yep! /. just reminded me of this nifty app. It seems to me like Skype is an actual disruptive technology and who better than Apple could bring it forward? It could become as big as the iPod to Apple if they were to develop this new solution...
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRealtor

If Apple would acquire Intuit (much smaller market cap), Apple would or could:

Several years ago, MS tried to buy Intuit, but the government blocked it. I don't know if Apple would have the same problem, though I would guess not.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Some Nisus
  • Reply 27 of 30
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Several years ago, MS tried to buy Intuit, but the government blocked it. I don't know if Apple would have the same problem, though I would guess not.

MS Money and Quicken are really the only money management applications out there. It would be in violation of anti-trust laws if Microsoft were to buy intuit or if intuit were to aquire Money. A company other than microsoft aquiring intuit wouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

To turn the tables. I wonder is MSFT will ever do a hostile takeover of Apple. I would be in a corner crying but it could happen

How? You can't just buy a company, it has to be consensual, and we all know Apple would say no.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How? You can't just buy a company, it has to be consensual, and we all know Apple would say no.

Er... hostile...
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Actually, when a company is publically traded (that is, its shares are sold on the stock exchange market), nothing stops anyone from trying to buy all, or at least the majority of those shares. Only the people who own those shares can decide if they want to sell or not. Depending on the price offered for those shares, the "buying" company migh be able to convince enough people to sell their shares to them, even if the administration of the "target" company doesn't want to be sold (hence the "hostile" takeover). If 50% + 1 of the voting shares are bought by the "buying" company, it effectively takes control of the target company, which basically means that the target company now belongs to them.