Enemy Territory (game) source code

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hey,

I was wondering, since the wolfenstein: enemy territory source code is available for everyone to look at, why isn't there a version for mac osx yet ? I don't know if this makes sence, but since the code is out there isn't there a way to compile it in os x ? has anyone ever thought of this ?

thanks

peace []

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Someone might know in one of the forums here:

http://www.idevgames.com/
  • Reply 3 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wanea

hey,

I was wondering, since the wolfenstein: enemy territory source code is available for everyone to look at, why isn't there a version for mac osx yet ?

Because no-one's tried to port it yet? Or, someone's trying, but they haven't succeeded yet?

Quote:

I don't know if this makes sence, but since the code is out there isn't there a way to compile it in os x ?

Not necessarily. Some Windows-specific code might have to be ripped out and replaced. Some x86-optimized code might have to be reoptimized for the significantly different PowerPC platform that Macs use. You're probably looking at millions of lines of code, so I don't think it would be an easy project to undertake. That doesn't mean nobody's working on it, just that if they are they might not have anything to announce for a good long while.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    ET is a very complex program compared to the other games that have been released (Quake & Quake 2). I'd be surprised if many Mac programmers had the time & money to pour into porting it to our platform.

I'd absolutely love it, but I don't see it happening.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Oliver from westlake offered to port it once but got denied somehow