Windows NT 3.51/4 on Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I remember many moons ago that Microsoft used to make four different versions of Windows NT. One of those was for a Power PC processor.

Does anyone know if it is possible to load the PPC version of NT 3.51 straight onto a Mac? I'm just curious to see whether it would work or not...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

Hello,

I remember many moons ago that Microsoft used to make four different versions of Windows NT. One of those was for a Power PC processor.

Does anyone know if it is possible to load the PPC version of NT 3.51 straight onto a Mac? I'm just curious to see whether it would work or not...

Do you have any idea how old WinNT PPC is? NT 3.5 will not work on a new PowerMac because it has not been updated to support the hardware in a 2004-era Mac. IIRC, no commercial version of NT ever ran on a commercial version of the Mac. NT PPC computers were designed to run NT and not the MacOS. They were sold by Motorola and possibly others, but not Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    That shut me up, didn't it?

Oh well. It was a bit of a silly question but as they say, the stupidest question is the one that is never asked.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Do you have any idea how old WinNT PPC is? NT 3.5 will not work on a new PowerMac because it has not been updated to support the hardware in a 2004-era Mac. IIRC, no commercial version of NT ever ran on a commercial version of the Mac. NT PPC computers were designed to run NT and not the MacOS. They were sold by Motorola and possibly others, but not Apple.

Actually, they weren't NT PPC computers, it was an open hardware spec called Common Hardware Reference Platform, or CHRP ('chirp'). Several companies, including Moto and IBM sold them. NT was one OS that ran on them. MacOS 9 was reportedly ported to it, but it never saw commercial light.

But no, CHRP/PPC NT has no hope of running on a modern Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Actually, they weren't NT PPC computers, it was an open hardware spec called Common Hardware Reference Platform, or CHRP ('chirp'). Several companies, including Moto and IBM sold them. NT was one OS that ran on them. MacOS 9 was reportedly ported to it, but it never saw commercial light.

But no, CHRP/PPC NT has no hope of running on a modern Mac.

I am aware of CHRP, but I believe that Motorola's NT machines were not built to the final standard. Perhaps, someone could look it up.