Books for learning the UNIX part of OS X...

:-):-)
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey

I've been looking around at amazon and there's a whole lot of UNIX books around... I don't know anything about UNIX, and I don't expect to ever become an expert.

What I want to be able to do is to run various aps in unix (particularly a package called EMBOSS). I started playing around a bit thinking it couldn't be to hard... however I have come to the conclussion that I better increase my knowledge on this before I mess up my system...

Any suggestions as for what to get?

Any help appreciated, TIA

:-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    There is "Mac OS X Panther for Unix Geeks." I have the previous version "Mac OS X for Unix Geeks" which was somewhat out of date, but was still useful. Although most of the content can be found out on the Net, it's a handy book to have around.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/

The UNIX - Newcomers and UNIX - General sections are a good place to browse and ask questions.

You will probably want to get familiar with something like Fink:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

for installing and updating unix software not included in the default OS X system.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    You might want to check out "OSX Unleashed" by Ray & Ray, which is more like "UNIX for OSX Geeks", as opposed to "OSX for UNIX Geeks". Unleashed is very readable, and has at least a brief survey of just about every UNIX-related topic you might be interested in, from perl scripts to cron jobs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    "Learning Unix for Mac OS X" published by O'Reilly, it was published in 2002, but I was able to pick it up for 2 bucks this summer. It's a really handy and compact reference as well as being a good general introduction to the UNIX underpinnings of OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Thanks guys

I ordered a couple of the books you suggested- so hopefully I'll get started in a weeks time...

thanks again,

:-)