Audion rides into the sunset...

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
...or maybe the sunrise? tough to tell. audion's now free, for anyone interested. but the truly interesting thing is the "story of audion" they have posted. better than most magazine articles and short stories i've read. it's like an addendum to "apple confidential" -- a chapter they left on the cutting room floor. maybe a few outtakes, to boot.

i e-mailed them about audion a couple months ago, and they said, rather vaguely, that they were working on a lot of updates, but never mentioned audion by name. i'm just glad they have other software apps to help keep the ship afloat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

...or maybe the sunrise? tough to tell. audion's now free, for anyone interested. but the truly interesting thing is the "story of audion" they have posted. better than most magazine articles and short stories i've read. it's like an addendum to "apple confidential" -- a chapter they left on the cutting room floor. maybe a few outtakes, to boot.

i e-mailed them about audion a couple months ago, and they said, rather vaguely, that they were working on a lot of updates, but never mentioned audion by name. i'm just glad they have other software apps to help keep the ship afloat.

Links please?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue27

Links please?

okay, here ya go...

Audion Free, and check out the Audion Story
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Fantastic reading. Every fan of Apple and the Little Guy (tm) should keep that story on their hard drive.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    That was an awesome read. Makes me respect their company and products a lot more and has made me try out Unison and a couple of their smaller apps as a result. Great stuff.

Amazing that Jobs really is the way he is believed to be
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

That was an awesome read. Makes me respect their company and products a lot more and has made me try out Unison and a couple of their smaller apps as a result. Great stuff.

Amazing that Jobs really is the way he is believed to be

Totally agree, I spent the good portion of my morning reading all of it. That, and what you said about respect, etc. Great read, one of the few things I have finished from beginning to end, and couldn't get enough.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    this might be my favorite part of the story. makes me wonder about my own life and direction and choices i have made, and continue to make...

Quote:

This is our only chance to do Panic. We don't have kids, we're not married, we don't have huge obligations. We didn't invest our life savings into it, just a few hundred dollars. We don't even have life savings. We probably won't get this opportunity again in our lifetime ? the full chance to take a complete risk, to experiment, quit our day jobs, start a business that certainly may fail, put our hearts into the soul of it, and try to make it fly ? making the best possible Macintosh software we can without the threat of mortgages or the cost of braces or kids wondering why we're never home. And while there may be a time in our life where we crave some stability, or there may be a time in our life when things don't work out with Panic and we return to be a player in a larger, awesome team like Apple, that time is certainly not now. Panic's time is.

• Reply 7 of 8
    Agreed, great read. I especially enjoyed the feud with C&G and the parts with Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    haha, great read!!!!!