Mac OS X: obsolete with every upgrade - why is it allowed?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have just about had it with this. EVERY SINGLE FILE I try and download for my iMac, which is not even that old, doesn't f*cking well work because facistic and moronic Apple and facistic and moronic software developers appear to have teamed together to make it so that older versions of Mac OS X are completely obsolete, and in fact to make sure that all upgrades to Mac OS X (very expensive) make it so that the previous versions are no longer usuable. My operating system, Mac OS 10.1.2, is not that old. It is Mac OS X, and yet no Mac OS X software out in the last year actually supports it. Getting Mac OS 10.2 wouldn't be enough even - now programs want 10.3? What's going to happen to .3 when .4 comes out - are they just going to yet again create a brand new set of programs incompatible with all previous versions?

What the hell are they playing at that they continually create new stuff that doesn't work on older versions of the SAME OS?! When I paid for this system, I didn't expect that Apple would be expecting me to shell out what.. £100 every year or so just to get an operating system that actually works with currently available software? I'm so SICK of trying to download stuff - useful stuff, utilities, like Windows Media Player, for instance, that any PC user with a 6 year old OS can get so easily, and having the Mac version ONLY support 10.1.3 or 10.2 or 10.3 or something instead of 10.1.2!!

Why do they make the new operating systems so different that its as if it's an entirely different system and not just another version of the same thing! I don't WANT to upgrade my system, I'm happy with OS 10.1.2 - it works fine. I don't see why I should have to pay huge amounts of money per year, having to waste loads of cdrs backing up my stuff in case the upgrade scrwes it up, possibly making my old software not work, just to make it so that I can actually download software that temporarily supports my OS. I think that it is criminal to make it so that NOTHING works on older versions on Mac OS X, and even more criminal to make older, compatible versions of necessarily utilities unavailable so that you are basically forced to either live without any software, or make an expensive upgrade for an OS which will no doubt be pushed into obsolencence in an extremely short period of time. If the upgrade was free, it would be different, but paying money for upgrades I don't even want is not how I want to spend my cash.

I bought this computer, believe it or not, because I was sick of having an unsupported OS (I was using an old Amiga). But damnnit, I still have one. In fact, it's worse than using the Amiga because at least there was lots of freeware available for that, lots of programs written for it, even if you couldn't get utilities and drivers directly from companies and websites. Why should I be forced to shell out money to upgrade to something I don't even want, and something which is going to no doubt be unsurped by another OS upgrade in the near future?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Relax...

Less ranting more info. What files are you having problems with. Give us more info on what problems you are directly facing.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    A lot of those programs simply wouldn't exist without newer version of OS X. Simply put, new versions of OS X provide new features to developers that wouldn't be possible on previous versions of the OS. For example, in 10.4 developers have access to Core Image & Core Video. Any application created that uses either of those technologies wouldn't be possible without 10.4.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Simply put Apple has made substantial strides with their OS and continues to do so. They've stated after 10.4 the development will slow a bit but until then the developers are looking to exploit the new features.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Morgoth

I have just about had it with this. EVERY SINGLE FILE I try and download for my iMac, which is not even that old, doesn't f*cking well work because facistic and moronic Apple and facistic and moronic software developers appear to have teamed together to make it so that older versions of Mac OS X are completely obsolete, and in fact to make sure that all upgrades to Mac OS X (very expensive) make it so that the previous versions are no longer usuable. My operating system, Mac OS 10.1.2, is not that old. It is Mac OS X, and yet no Mac OS X software out in the last year actually supports it. Getting Mac OS 10.2 wouldn't be enough even - now programs want 10.3? What's going to happen to .3 when .4 comes out - are they just going to yet again create a brand new set of programs incompatible with all previous versions?

What the hell are they playing at that they continually create new stuff that doesn't work on older versions of the SAME OS?! When I paid for this system, I didn't expect that Apple would be expecting me to shell out what.. £100 every year or so just to get an operating system that actually works with currently available software? I'm so SICK of trying to download stuff - useful stuff, utilities, like Windows Media Player, for instance, that any PC user with a 6 year old OS can get so easily, and having the Mac version ONLY support 10.1.3 or 10.2 or 10.3 or something instead of 10.1.2!!

Why do they make the new operating systems so different that its as if it's an entirely different system and not just another version of the same thing! I don't WANT to upgrade my system, I'm happy with OS 10.1.2 - it works fine. I don't see why I should have to pay huge amounts of money per year, having to waste loads of cdrs backing up my stuff in case the upgrade scrwes it up, possibly making my old software not work, just to make it so that I can actually download software that temporarily supports my OS. I think that it is criminal to make it so that NOTHING works on older versions on Mac OS X, and even more criminal to make older, compatible versions of necessarily utilities unavailable so that you are basically forced to either live without any software, or make an expensive upgrade for an OS which will no doubt be pushed into obsolencence in an extremely short period of time. If the upgrade was free, it would be different, but paying money for upgrades I don't even want is not how I want to spend my cash.

I bought this computer, believe it or not, because I was sick of having an unsupported OS (I was using an old Amiga). But damnnit, I still have one. In fact, it's worse than using the Amiga because at least there was lots of freeware available for that, lots of programs written for it, even if you couldn't get utilities and drivers directly from companies and websites. Why should I be forced to shell out money to upgrade to something I don't even want, and something which is going to no doubt be unsurped by another OS upgrade in the near future?

I find it interesting that you gave not a single example of this terrible problem you have with OS obsolescence. What is worst than that is that your claim carries significant implicit contradictions. First off, all of the applications that you used with MacOS X 10.1.2 when you first acquired it still work just fine. I infer from your post, however, that you have since acquired newer applications that are incompatible with MacOS X 10.1.2. If you purchased these apps, it would seem strange that you are willing to fork over money to everyone except Apple. But, somehow I doubt that. I would suggest that you acquire MacOS X 10.3.6 the same way that you acquired your apps that don't work on the older OS.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    I'm not actually talking about applications of the sort you pay for, actually, I wouldn't buy those if they weren't compatible with my OS. It's the shareware and freeware and necessary downloadable applications and utilities that I want. Shareware stuff, in general, no longer works on my Mac. The worst thing about it is perhaps that they often don't say that they don't work on 10.1.2 and when I download them THEN they say 'sorry, can't do that'. An example, today I was going to download Microsoft messenger because I had to use it for a university course related reason. Only works on Mac OS 1.3 or later. I was going to download Windows Media Player so I can look at Media player files but that also only works on Mac Os 10.3 or later. I downloaded applications for arranging pictures from versiontracker - same problem. I downloaded THREE different programs for using some sort of torrent file sharing system - BitTorrent - tomato torrent or something, and Azureus, that I wanted to download something with. Same again. The same thing happened with some sort of quicktime related thing I spent hours downloading. These are just a few examples I can think of.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    If a program wants 10.1.3 what´s the big deal - it´s free for you. You can update to 10.1.5!!! if you want for no money at all :-)
  • Reply 7 of 35
    use the WMP for OS9.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That pattern will be settling down quite a bit starting with Tiger. Not only will the pace of OS development slow down, but the libraries are stabilizing in terms of how they implement features and introduce new ones.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    another point is that, by all estimations, neither mac os 10.0 or 10.1 were really ready for prime time. many printer manufacturers, for example, nearly abandoned ship rather than continue trying to make usable printer drivers. a LOT of that (and other issues) was corrected with 10.2 and up, which is why you see a lot of developers insist upon 10.2 to run.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    Nothing is stopping you from running Classic apps, most of which, including WMP and MSN Messenger, run very well.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I remember feeling the same way, when 10.2 was in fashion. I was still running 10.1.5 and nothing new seemed to work. So I installed Linux and fooled around with that for a while, then 10.3 came out... after reading that it worked great on older macs I decided to give it a try and ordered a copy. The performance increase was outstanding ! I was really quite impressed.

I would suggest you fork out for Tiger when it is released. No doubt it will run very well and supposedly will be the last release for a while. The other thing you could do which will give you loads of access to free software is install Fink. That will give you access to loads of great linux software ported to OS X.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    I've only done minor development for OS X so far and I set XCode to let me build my programs to be as compatible with all releases of OS X. But, it seems as soon as I add functionality the ability to compile for 10.1.x goes away pretty quickly. My programs all seem to run on Jaguar and of course, Panther.

By the way, why haven't you at least updated to the latest release of 10.1? If you're running 10.1.2 and a program you downloaded needs 10.1.3 (or was that a typo?), why not upgrade? As someone mentioned earlier, you can get 10.1.5 for the price of a free* download.

* Apple charges no fees for the download, but you must provide your own internet connection and bandwidth in order to download.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    This smells of a troll, but I will bite. Since you are bit torrent user, spend the time to download at least Jaguar or as others said, give up some cash to Apple.

Look at the dates of the shareware you are downloading. If it has been released or updated in the last year, chances are that it would require at least 10.2.

The shareware developers often exploit new functionality in the latest OS releases to gain a competitive or innovative edge. Therefore they cannot be expected to support all versions of OS X.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Really it comes down to two things. First unlike with Microsoft when Apple releases an upgrade they have actually made progress with their OS and second in many respects Apple hadn't really finished a lot of the work needed on OS X until 10.3/10.4.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    10.1.2? We're talking about a brand new OS here. You decided to be an early adopter and now are suffering the consequences. Why not just bite the bullet and buy 10.4. Sure, it's not that old but you should have known what you were getting yourself into. 10.1.2 is a free upgrade to 10.0, the first OS of that kind.

All OSs have growing pains...System 1 went to System 4 in less than a year if I remember correctly and broke lots of apps. If you can't cope with apps and OSs moving on to bigger better things, maybe you should use a platform that makes smaller strides...like Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Morgoth

I'm not actually talking about applications of the sort you pay for, actually, I wouldn't buy those if they weren't compatible with my OS. It's the shareware and freeware and necessary downloadable applications and utilities that I want. Shareware stuff, in general, no longer works on my Mac. The worst thing about it is perhaps that they often don't say that they don't work on 10.1.2 and when I download them THEN they say 'sorry, can't do that'. An example, today I was going to download Microsoft messenger because I had to use it for a university course related reason. Only works on Mac OS 1.3 or later. I was going to download Windows Media Player so I can look at Media player files but that also only works on Mac Os 10.3 or later. I downloaded applications for arranging pictures from versiontracker - same problem. I downloaded THREE different programs for using some sort of torrent file sharing system - BitTorrent - tomato torrent or something, and Azureus, that I wanted to download something with. Same again. The same thing happened with some sort of quicktime related thing I spent hours downloading. These are just a few examples I can think of.

Quite frankly, I don't believe you. I use quite a bit of shareware. I even pay the shareware fee for the stuff that I use on a regular basis. One of the reasons that I support shareware is that it is often as good as or superior to commercial stuff. Macintosh shareware authors seem more likely to use standard MacOS/MacOS X features rather than rolling their own, which maintains compatibility over future versions of the OS. Shareware authors also tend to produce more upgrades, and most of those are free of charge. The graphics application, GraphicConverter, is a prime example. The shareware solitaire game Klondike 7.70 was my first Carbon app. It still worked fine when I upgraded to Klondike 9.0 recently. The fact is that I cannot recall a single shareware title that gives me trouble. That is something that I can't say about commercial applications.

Furthermore, with the advent of MacOS X, the quantity of freeware available to Mac users has exploded. Much of it top-quality stuff. You have numerous choices if you are willing to explore them. Whether or not you are correct about your shareware acquisitions, the heart of your bad experiences seem to fall from the choices that you made. If on occasion you run Software Update, and follow that up with regular system maintenance, your experiences will be a lot better--if they have been bad in the past, that is.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    OSX is still an OS in development! As an example, we didnt even get CD burning until 10.2! And Apple has said that they wont close their API's until after 10.5.

THats still at least 2 years in the future!

If you complain so much, then switch to 9.2 which also came with your machine.. It has 15 years of development behind it..
  • Reply 18 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Morgoth, here's an idea. Contact the developers of the applications you want to use, and ask them if they have an older version that works on your OS. If they were around then, they likely will have those old versions floating around.

Simplest though is just to upgrade.

Honestly it sounds like you're miffed because Apple adds new technologies to new upgrades, and developers actually *gasp* take advantage of them. This is called a Good Thing(tm). You want the new toys, you need to upgrade to pay for them, simple as that.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Actually 10.1.2 is almost 3 years old.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Yeah. If his iMac is 'only a year old', it should at least have 10.2 on it. Hmm.