What if...Apple and Apple got along?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was listening to the radio and a really fu thought popped into my head. Imaging what could happen if Apple Corps and Apple Computer reconcile thier differences.

I would love to see a Beetles iPod and maybe an entire digital "box-set" of all the Beetles music. Wouldn't that be awesome!!

Let me know what you think

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I doubt that will happen any time soon. Apple Corps have come right out and said that they like things as they are, because every time Apple Computer does something music-related, they can sue for more money. The more successful Apple is, the more they can sue for. So it's a winning situation for them, and they have no reason to change it.

The fact that they're sitting on one of the hottest musical properties in existence just gives them that much more power to enforce the status quo. They know that Steve loves the Beatles, and they'll milk that for all it's worth.

At this point, only two things will settle the dispute: A staggeringly large settlement by Apple (which someone on Apple Corps' team obviously leaked to the press a while back, floating the idea to see what the reaction would be), and an "enough is enough" ruling from a judge.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

They know that Steve loves the Beatles, and they'll milk that for all it's worth.

Well, it is thorough irony - in history, isn't it?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

The fact that they're (Apple Corps) sitting on one of the hottest musical properties in existence just gives them that much more power to enforce the status quo. They know that Steve loves the Beatles, and they'll milk that for all it's worth.

I seem to recall that Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles back catalogue.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I doubt that will happen any time soon. Apple Corps have come right out and said that they like things as they are, because every time Apple Computer does something music-related, they can sue for more money. The more successful Apple is, the more they can sue for. So it's a winning situation for them, and they have no reason to change it.

I guess this is predicated on the assumption that Corps and Computer are playing a zero-sum game. There is a third, "synergy" scenario, where Corps and Computer agree to do something jointly and try and grow the combined market further, making the pie bigger for both. Unfortunately, you are probably right, and this won't happen.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Jacko sold most of it back to Apple Corps.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Ah yes The Beetles. So many great hits......

Ladybug Madonna

Dung Tripper

You've Got to Hide Your Larvae Away

Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Insect

I Want to Hold Your Antennae

Pupaback Writer

Got to Get You Into My Cocoon
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

I guess this is predicated on the assumption that Corps and Computer are playing a zero-sum game. There is a third, "synergy" scenario, where Corps and Computer agree to do something jointly and try and grow the combined market further, making the pie bigger for both. Unfortunately, you are probably right, and this won't happen.

It also predicated on the assumption that Apple Corps. will win this time. Legal opinions are mixed, but seem to favor the fact that Apple Computer might have a legitimate case here.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

It also predicated on the assumption that Apple Corps. will win this time. Legal opinions are mixed, but seem to favor the fact that Apple Computer might have a legitimate case here.

My post was from what I can glean of Apple Corps' general attitude, and I need hardly say that they think they'll win. They've won every previous round, in practical terms. And yes, I do think their attitude is essentially zero-sum. I also am willing to bet that Steve is pushing for "synergy." If nothing else, that position might lend a little extra credibility to Apple Computer's side.

We'll see how things actually come out. Personally, I'm hoping for Apple Corps to get spanked into settling for a synergistic solution, because I really don't see any other way—simply because of Apple Corps' long-established intransigence on this issue.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Personally, I'm hoping for Apple Corps to get spanked into settling for a synergistic solution, because I really don't see any other way—simply because of Apple Corps' long-established intransigence on this issue.

This is my hope as well...if for no other reason than Paul McCartney's apparent belief that The Beatles are God's gift to music.

I also think that the deal with U2 might go a long way towards the syngery end that you suggest. I am expecting a "settlement" deal that involves:

1. No more legal action.

2. A Beatles "digital box set" sold on a Beatles iPod.

3. A Beatles iTMS.

4. A 6-month exclusive for Apple.

5. No more than $50M out of Apple Computer's pocket for all of the above.