PC Mouse Thingy

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a PC at work (who doesn't) that has a scroll wheel that when pressed down and held will give you arrows in every direction so you can just move the mouse a bit down and it will scroll that way. At home on my mac with the same mouse i have to keep moving my finger to scroll a long web page and it gets annoying that i can't just hold down the scroll wheel move the mouse a bit down and let it do the rest. Of even go sideways.

Anyone know of a way copy that feature of windows for os x? :-)

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    What kind of mouse, and have you tried installing the drivers/control software for the mouse? I believe the microsoft mac mouse control stuff lets you do this scrolling thing for microsoft mice.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Nah this isn't something i can get working from the driver.....it's part of the windows OS which i hope would be on the mac also....but it an't going happen by the look of it thanks one button mouse apple ships with every mac :-(
  • Reply 3 of 18
    That feature is just part of Windows applications such as Firefox and IE; not Windows itself.

OS X recognises the scroll wheel of my generic Logitech and I can click it to trigger Exposé, but it doesn't seem to do anything in Firefox, so I think the lack of that feature in OS X might also be an application issue. However, I'm not a developer, so I don't really know.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Works in any windows office app also...it's very handy...shame nothing like it on the mac.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

I have a PC at work (who doesn't) that has a scroll wheel that when pressed down and held will give you arrows in every direction so you can just move the mouse a bit down and it will scroll that way. At home on my mac with the same mouse i have to keep moving my finger to scroll a long web page and it gets annoying that i can't just hold down the scroll wheel move the mouse a bit down and let it do the rest. Of even go sideways.

Anyone know of a way copy that feature of windows for os x? :-)

Frank_t

Ok here's what you do: position the mouse over the scroll bar of a window, click and hold, then you can move the mouse in any direction and the window will scroll accordingly.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Err....no you can only move up or down or left to right...please try again with your wise comments :-)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Nah this isn't something i can get working from the driver.....it's part of the windows OS which i hope would be on the mac also....but it an't going happen by the look of it thanks one button mouse apple ships with every mac :-(

If you have a Microsoft mouse you can enable this for the mac through the intellimouse control panel. If you have another make of mouse, there's probably no way to replicate this.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I have a Microsoft mouse but i uninstalled its driver as it slowed down the mouse and my OS...if you read the reviews of the driver you will know why. I really don't remember seeing that feature in the driver for Mac OS X.....are you sure?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

I have a Microsoft mouse but i uninstalled its driver as it slowed down the mouse and my OS...if you read the reviews of the driver you will know why. I really don't remember seeing that feature in the driver for Mac OS X.....are you sure?

Yes, the feature's there. In the intellimouse control programme, click the button tab, then click on the wheel button option. Then you can select various options from a drop down menu, one of which is auto scroll, which does the same thing as you were talking about in windows - I don't think you get a graphical arrow like you do in windows though - it's a while since I've used my microsoft mouse as I've got an intuos tablet now.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Doesn't work on OS X.

It only works in IE in the MS world tho.

I also think its a pretty nifty feature. You need to have a good mouse tho as its a pain having to move your whole hand to scroll up and down which is why I prefer the scroll button.

Dobby.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Doesn't work on OS X.

It only works in IE in the MS world tho.

I also think its a pretty nifty feature. You need to have a good mouse tho as its a pain having to move your whole hand to scroll up and down which is why I prefer the scroll button.

Dobby.

Actually, I just tried it, and it does work. That's with the microsoft mouse driver and and intellimouse explorer. You don't get the little arrow thing that you do on windows, and horizontal scrolling isn't enabled, but the feature is there. Works OS wide - in Quark, safari photoshop etc
  • Reply 12 of 18
    actually why don't you just buy a freaking mouse with a scroll wheel? or beg one off a friend? I don't understand why you wouldn't have a mouse without a scroll wheel unless it gave your carpel.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

actually why don't you just buy a freaking mouse with a scroll wheel? or beg one off a friend? I don't understand why you wouldn't have a mouse without a scroll wheel unless it gave your carpel.

Actually, that's what we were dicussing, if you bothered to read the thread. Pressing down the SCROLL WHEEL on windows gives you autoscrolling - the original poster was asking if this works on OS X - and it does (on my "freaking mouse with a scroll wheel") but only with the Microsoft mouse driver (as far as I know) and only for vertical scrolling - you can also scroll horizontally like this on windows.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    mortigi tempo is correct.

The following statements are incorrect:

- "it's part of the windows OS"

- "Doesn't work on OS X.

It only works in IE in the MS world tho."

I believe the feature also works with Logitech's drivers as well. I can check on my iBook when I get home if anyone is interested.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I have MS' IntelliPoint driver installed and it may help others to note publicly that Shift-scroll wheel scrolls horizontally.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by lanky_nathan

I have MS' IntelliPoint driver installed and it may help others to note publicly that Shift-scroll wheel scrolls horizontally.

Even for scroll lock? I know it works when you turn the scroll wheel, but when I tried the button down , horizontal scrolling didn't seem to work. Maybe it's me!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by mortigi tempo

Even for scroll lock? I know it works when you turn the scroll wheel, but when I tried the button down , horizontal scrolling didn't seem to work. Maybe it's me!

No, I have the ScrollWheelButton set to 'Next application', brings up the Cmd-Tab Task Switcher.

just scrolling the scroll wheel, which normally scrolls up/down/vertically, when the shift key is depressed, scrolls horizontally.

I use it all the time in Safari for really large construction/site photos (damn site supers with 4 MP cameras ... I wish Safari would get an image autozoom like Firefox )