What? No Incredibles thread???

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
just got back from a late afternoon showing. just a really fun movie.. smart script, good story. and the animation, well, damn... if you have ever worked in 3D (and i have only done some still artwork years ago), your mouth will drop at some of the hair, lighting and water effects.

strangely, i think this was the first pixar movie without a cameo from a previous (or notably upcoming) character. but maybe i missed it.

my opinion is still out on "cars," which gets a preview. i dunno. that seemed less than great, but i thought the same thing when i saw trailers for bug's life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea there is a thread. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yea there is a thread. Sorry.

well, tell ya what... let's use a thread that's been started within the last, oh, 90 days. hey, here's one right here!

• Reply 3 of 8
    This movie looks good, but I'm actually surprised that Disney/Pixar also has another movie coming out soon...... Cars.

It doesn't look all that great. \
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

This movie looks good, but I'm actually surprised that Disney/Pixar also has another movie coming out soon...... Cars.

maybe steve and lasseter want to stick disney with one box office bomb before they ride off? no, never mind. they probably wouldn't do that. but, "dadgum?"

i will be interested to see the box office receipts from this second week of showing. it seemed like there was still a healthy crowd for this weekend, perhaps loaded with folks who wanted to avoid the opening weekend crowds?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

hmmm. that tow truck is pretty funny though. wasn't there a 60s tv show about boats that talk? or was it a book..i guess i'm also thinking of the little engine that could book

well isn't nascar huge in the US?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

well isn't nascar huge in the US?

Yeah. Cars is absolutely perfect. It's a cross-marketer's dream. There will be little "Cars" cars in every cereal box and happy meal in the world when that movie comes out. Resistance will be futile for parents.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Pixar trailers don't do justice for pixar movies. When I saw the trailer for Finding Nemo I thought that would suck. Same for the Incredibles. I was wrong on both.

I must say The Incrediables was a great movie. One thing I've noticed in Pixar's movies is that they use much more film technique in their films. More than Dreamworks. I feel like Pixar has "converted" the ideas of lens, focus, lighting, etc into the computer world much more effectively than Dreamworks does with their movies. It gives the Dreamworks films a much more flat feeling, while Pixar's movies almost jump off the screen.

Best line from the Incredibles was when the security guy said, "Let's take a shot every time they run." or something like that. I went on a Tuesday night showing at like 10pm so It was almost all college students, and the theater just burst out laughing.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Watched it last night. Brilliant.

Great end titles, too, full of production animatics in retro style.

Loved the Bond references and digs at Superheros and kitschy 'action' flicks laden throughout (yes I loved Tick-Live Action more than its animated version). A few shots at Lucas as well (though "Omnidroid" is credited as a Lucasfilm trademark in the credits).

Highly recommended.

Of note in the end credits just above RenderMan...

Final Render CPUs by: Intel

Bet that will change back soon.