Safar vs FireFox

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have to say that i am split between the two. I have always stayed with Safari because, when i put them right up against each other, you can see that the safari gives a little bit more web page room. I then discovered the small icons for firefox so i am once again, split.

I currently use Safari on the Mac and Firefox on the PC and Linux but i am thinking about firefox on the mac too.

A possible deal-breaker is, CPU usage? Does anyone have any experience and knowledge of their CPU usage of the two browsers?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Why not just open up the activity monitor and take a look for yourself?

Edit: Firefox seems to suck up more. Sitting on and loading Garfield's site firefox got up above 40% usage while Safari stayed sub 30% while loading and right now Safari hovers around 10% compared to 20% for firefox with the page loaded.

Safari does worse when I switch back to write this post and there are animated gifs. They suck CPU usage something horrible in safari. No idea why.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    also, opening multiple tabs [10+] in firefox is faster than safari.

Safari is very slow if you have a heavy-graphic webpage loading, and you want to open up a new tab and have that page load up to.

I'm also tossed between safari + firefox.

I like and use both, but keep all my bookmarks in safari, and use firefox when I'm bored or with websites that have a lot of flash/animated gifs ......
  • Reply 3 of 32
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    how do you import safari bookmarks into firefox?

thnx
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

how do you import safari bookmarks into firefox?

thnx

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19266
  • Reply 5 of 32
    regreg Posts: 832member
    From the firefox page

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=131693

2. How do I import my Safari bookmarks?

If File>Import doesnt work in this version, use this;

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11550

OR this;

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=161465

reg
  • Reply 6 of 32
    The deal breaker for me is the extensibility of FireFox over Safari. Features like RSS and Adblock, and Themes etc. (I know about PithHelmet).

These are features that we will not get until probably version 2 of Safari.

My solemn wish is that Apple uses either FireFox or Camino as the base for the next version of Safari (why they did not do this to begin with is anybody's guess). I know I am just dreaming.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by skenkin

My solemn wish is that Apple uses either FireFox or Camino as the base for the next version of Safari (why they did not do this to begin with is anybody's guess). I know I am just dreaming.

They won't and you don't need to guess. Konqueror offered a much leaner code base for them to build off while having similar functionality and support for open standards.

There's no reason for them to really move to Mozilla. All the features you're talking about they can add if they really desire and in fact RSS is coming. I doubt Apple will ever officially support themes though.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Why not just open up the activity monitor and take a look for yourself?

Edit: Firefox seems to suck up more. Sitting on and loading Garfield's site firefox got up above 40% usage while Safari stayed sub 30% while loading and right now Safari hovers around 10% compared to 20% for firefox with the page loaded.

Safari does worse when I switch back to write this post and there are animated gifs. They suck CPU usage something horrible in safari. No idea why.

I swear to God. I just went to Garfield.com using Safari and Firefox simultaneously. Both browsers worked wonderfully. Quite frankly, you would live longer is you learned to enjoy that site and others without monitoring the CPU usages of each browser for minor "advantages."
  • Reply 9 of 32
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Probably the only reason I continue to use Safari over Firefox is the automatic bookmark syncing over dot mac. If Safari did not have this feature I would have switched to Firefox a while ago. Alas I love having my bookmarks synced between my iBook and Powermac far to much to ever lose that feature.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

They won't and you don't need to guess. Konqueror offered a much leaner code base for them to build off while having similar functionality and support for open standards.

There's no reason for them to really move to Mozilla. All the features you're talking about they can add if they really desire and in fact RSS is coming. I doubt Apple will ever officially support themes though.

Firefox works for me on sites that Safari does not. Firefox is also faster than Safari.

I have stuck with Safari because I figure its a safer bet to always be around. However, I am so fed up with Safari's speed or lack thereof, and with pages not loading properly or at all, that I am going to switch to Firefox.

I do think that Firefox should make it easier to import bookmarks from Safari. That alone would get plenty of users to switch over. I will try the methods listed on this thread and see what happens.

Safari is a dog of a browser. It simply does not work well and is slow.

Apple would be smart to go with a Mozilla base, IMHO.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by skenkin

The deal breaker for me is the extensibility of FireFox over Safari. Features like RSS and Adblock, and Themes etc. (I know about PithHelmet).

These are features that we will not get until probably version 2 of Safari.

i dont understand why people download 3rd party ad blockers or use firefox solely for that ad block crap. i've never had pop-ups in safari with the 'block pop-up ads' turned on.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    OK, the debug menu method worked, but I wish there was a way to get the bookmarks directly under the firefox bookmark menu and not a seperate menu underneath.

Also, firefox wont allow me to delete the 'personal bookmarks' menu. who needs it?

I also noticed something about firefox. If you click off a screen and have nothing open, if you click on a bookmark nothing happens unless you open a blank page first. Thats annoying.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

There's no reason for them to really move to Mozilla. All the features you're talking about they can add if they really desire and in fact RSS is coming.

Agreed.

Quote:

I doubt Apple will ever officially support themes though.

AFAIK, Apple still supports custom skins for QT player apps from v.5

I've seen some odd QT skins using this method.

[ ** Note: the above link will pop open your copy of QT with a custom skin. This is temporary.

Quit QT and restart it and your player will return to normal. ** ]
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i dont understand why people download 3rd party ad blockers or use firefox solely for that ad block crap. i've never had pop-ups in safari with the 'block pop-up ads' turned on.

I think he was referring to those annoying moving ads on web pages, although firefox has them too.

I wonder why safari and firefox dont have something built in that could turn them off.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Safari is a dog of a browser. It simply does not work well and is slow.

Apple would be smart to go with a Mozilla base, IMHO.

I'm sorry you have problems but except for IE only pages I barely see a fault with Safari's rendering these days. That could just be the sites I visit though.

If it's slow then perhaps there is an issue with your install because certainly I find it faster than Firefox, but I also have a new computer.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

AFAIK, Apple still supports custom skins for QT player apps from v.5

I've seen some odd QT skins using this method.

[ ** Note: the above link will pop open your copy of QT with a custom skin. This is temporary.

Quit QT and restart it and your player will return to normal. ** ]

I noticed this after I made that post and I have to say I was surprised. I wonder why they've done that for QT and not other Apps, although I assume it relates to advertisements. They had themes back in the OS 9 days as well.

It would certainly be nice if Apple added themes. I guess you never know.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I swear to God. I just went to Garfield.com using Safari and Firefox simultaneously. Both browsers worked wonderfully. Quite frankly, you would live longer is you learned to enjoy that site and others without monitoring the CPU usages of each browser for minor "advantages."

Btw, i could have understood the whole discussion about mac browsers if it were about "Camino vs Safari".

But "Firefox vs Safari", i don't get, though.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Adblock isn't about blocking popup windows, it's about blocking inline ads from appearing...
  • Reply 19 of 32
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Wow Firefox can even process javascript correctly.

Both IE and Safari are very intolerant when interpreting javascript.

Dobby.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    well, so much for firefox.

It is just too buggy right now. I cant even copy and paste within my favorite message board.

In the trash it goes and its back to safari in the hopes that Apple can fix the damn thing.

sheesh