why do people like shrek so much?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

I don't understand this disdain for Shrek. There seems to be an element of Pixar fan-boyism and just mean spiritedness about some of the posts I've seen. I love the fact that the Princess isn't made beautiful at the end. I happen to think that the underlying message that beauty is only skin deep and that real worth comes from within is pretty important these plastic/silicon days.

Also it's bloody funny. Oh and some of the visuals are just stunningly done, waving fields of corn and the such.

Shrek 2 wasn't as good, too messy and John Cleese hasn't been funny since 1979.

no. shrek sucks because it is weakly written, targetted at kids when it shouldnt be and assumes its audience is a bunch of toilet humor jackasses.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Thanks for putting me straight on that point. What was I thinking? Fancy targeting a childrens film at kids-the fools!
  • Reply 43 of 51
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, there was a really hot girl at the video store the other night when i was looking at movies that was ecstatic they had shrek 2 in stock. suddenly, i didn't mind shrek so much.

• Reply 44 of 51
    Well I disagree completely that that is the message. How about don't pretend to be something that you're not just to fit in with the rest? Of course Shrek also appeals to lots of adults, we're the ones posting here . Do you get that, kid?
  • Reply 45 of 51
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I hate anything Dreamworks does. Pixar, the exact opposite.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

Pixar movies are timeless, Dreamworks movies are "fads" featuring fart jokes and current innuendos

I reworded that a bit but that's a great one sentence reason I dislike Dreamworks flicks.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

I don't understand this disdain for Shrek. There seems to be an element of Pixar fan-boyism and just mean spiritedness about some of the posts I've seen.

Simply preferring Pixar over Dreamworks isn't fanboyism. There is a tangible difference in terms of quality. That Steve Jobs leads both Pixar and Apple and that some of us prefer both Apple and Pixar is just logical. He's maintaining quality across both.

Dreamworks caters to the trends, to the whims and Hollywood status quo whereas Pixar is out to make a standalone universe for each film, without resorting to topical humor and constantly referencing real life for soon-to-be-dated puns. And the trendy musical numbers are the worst part. Gahhh.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    If I can add my 2c, just seeing the Shark Tale advertisement posted over a number of busses around the place absolutely turned me off the movie.

To me the ad shows a whole cast of characters who look completely stereotypical and really cheesy. It's like someone commented about Eddie Murphy's donkey in Shrek.

There is a difference between DW and Pixar just like there's a difference between Meyerbeer and Wagner.

Mendosi