We need DVD Studio Express

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
We have no way of making a DVD with 16:9 source video and it is such an oversight for Apple. I am not a professional iMovie is OK for me, but I have a 42" plasma and a Sony digital camcorder that records 16X9 anamorphic.

DVD Studio Pro is overkill just to add 16:9 support. I am quite happy to edit the video in iMovie even though it displays the video in 4:3, the real problem is the burning software. I bought Toast Titanium to find that that too does not support 16:9 material (Exasperation). the only programmes which do are DVD Studio pro and DVDION(bundled with the Formac burner).

On a PC you can buy tons of good software for around £60, which will burn 16:9 source material, I always thought macs were supposed to give better support to creative software than PC's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I always thought macs were supposed to give better support to creative software than PC's.

It really depends on what you mean by that statement. There tends to be little in the way of mid-range software for the Mac. In this case, the low end is covered by iDVD and the high by DVD Studio Pro. It does seem that a mid range product could be useful, particularly for you.

Still, if you are serious about DVD, it is well worth your time to learn DVD Studio Pro. Let me warn you though that it is a very manual process of creating a DVD in most cases. If you know what you are doing, this is by FAR better than letting iDVD (for instance) decide all of your settings, but you are right, it is probably overkill for you.

There is SOME hope though. Here is a workaround (look all the way to the end). Its a pain in the arse, but it will at least do what you need it to do.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I've had good luck using ffmpegX (to encode to 16x9 DVD spec) and Sizzle 0.1/0.52 (to author the DVD with or without menus).

Both are free to try out.

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

http://thegoods.ath.cx/~hmason/sizzle/
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

We have no way of making a DVD with 16:9 source video and it is such an oversight for Apple. I am not a professional iMovie is OK for me, but I have a 42" plasma and a Sony digital camcorder that records 16X9 anamorphic.

DVD Studio Pro is overkill just to add 16:9 support. I am quite happy to edit the video in iMovie even though it displays the video in 4:3, the real problem is the burning software. I bought Toast Titanium to find that that too does not support 16:9 material (Exasperation). the only programmes which do are DVD Studio pro and DVDION(bundled with the Formac burner).

On a PC you can buy tons of good software for around £60, which will burn 16:9 source material, I always thought macs were supposed to give better support to creative software than PC's.

youre thinking is a little off. what your camera is doing when it records 16:9 anamorphic is actually making a 4:3 picture with black bars on the top and bottom. using final cut express, you can have it capture the "widescreen" picture as its correct aspect ratio, so it will appear to be 16:9. so ya, just buy FCE. then you can stil use iDVD and have "widescreen" home movies. if you want true widescreen home movies, you need $5000 to spend on a camera (and if youre going that far then you can buy dvdsp)
  • Reply 4 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Don't waste your time on a lesser DVD app. If you are a student DVD SP is $250.

There is a definite opening for something in between iDVD and DVD SP but no 3rd party has stepped up. However it is important to be sure you're talking about 16:9 anamorphic video. If there has ever been a snowjob recently...the "fake" widescreen on low end cameras is it.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

There is a definite opening for something in between iDVD and DVD SP but no 3rd party has stepped up. However it is important to be sure you're talking about 16:9 anamorphic video. If there has ever been a snowjob recently...the "fake" widescreen on low end cameras is it.

no there isnt room for a 3rd app. you jsut have to be smart enough to use iDVD to its full potential. if you need more functionality, dvd studio pro is cheap, unlike Final Cut Pro (non-edu). i mean dvd studio costs the same as final cut express, so what market would apple possibly be targeting with dvd studio express???
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

You can actually get DVD SP + FC HD + Motion for $500 if you're a student.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

youre thinking is a little off. what your camera is doing when it records 16:9 anamorphic is actually making a 4:3 picture with black bars on the top and bottom. using final cut express, you can have it capture the "widescreen" picture as its correct aspect ratio, so it will appear to be 16:9. so ya, just buy FCE. then you can stil use iDVD and have "widescreen" home movies. if you want true widescreen home movies, you need $5000 to spend on a camera (and if youre going that far then you can buy dvdsp)

Some cameras (and not just expensive ones) have a "true" anamorphic mode.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

Some cameras (and not just expensive ones) have a "true" anamorphic mode.

mmm maybe, but 20 bucks says his camera isn't like that.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I am not a student, I have a camera that will record in three modes. 4:3 16:9 letterbox and 16:9 anamorphic. 16:9 anamorphic uses the full vertical resolution. DVD studio pro is a great application but it is £350 and that is a lot just to burn home movies in the correct aspect ratio.

I havce tried Sizzle, but getting iMovie content into mpeg2 is a pain and a proper mpeg2 encoder is as expensive as buying DVD Studio Pro!

Frankley, I don't see why there isn't a check box in iDVD to tell the application if the source material is 4:3 or 16:9.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

I am not a student, I have a camera that will record in three modes. 4:3 16:9 letterbox and 16:9 anamorphic. 16:9 anamorphic uses the full vertical resolution. DVD studio pro is a great application but it is £350 and that is a lot just to burn home movies in the correct aspect ratio.

I havce tried Sizzle, but getting iMovie content into mpeg2 is a pain and a proper mpeg2 encoder is as expensive as buying DVD Studio Pro!

Frankley, I don't see why there isn't a check box in iDVD to tell the application if the source material is 4:3 or 16:9.

no, quicktime pro is 30 bucks and will encode beuatiful mpeg-2's. and you can export them straight from imovie.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I have Quicktime pro and it can't export to mpeg2

• Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

I have Quicktime pro and it can't export to mpeg2

well you have a problem then. i would call apple and see if can work out whatever is causing imovie to not see the mpeg-2 exporter.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    To playback MPEG-2 in QT, you need the $20 plug-in:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/

QT Pro will not export MPEG-2.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

To playback MPEG-2 in QT, you need the $20 plug-in:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/

QT Pro will not export MPEG-2.

i've got 3 different versions of quicktime pro from each of my pro apps and all of the versions have had mpeg-2 encoding and playback.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    You must have some pro software that is adding that function to Quicktime, it isn't a standalone option.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

You must have some pro software that is adding that function to Quicktime, it isn't a standalone option.

ok well either way, the mpeg-2 component is only like 20 bucks.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ok well either way, the mpeg-2 component is only like 20 bucks.

No, that is for playback silly.. .

However, you can get ffmpeg going for free.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Curufinwe

No, that is for playback silly.. .

However, you can get ffmpeg going for free.

sigh... whatever

this page from the apple site clearly states that quicktime pro does include the ability to export mpeg-2's, but the playback is available as a separate package.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    ok well i guess i lose this one. i think i'll go export some mpeg-2's from imovie just for the hell of it. back to the origiinal point, just get dvd studio pro when you have the money saved up (or wait until april when 3.5 or 4.0 comes out).