Extracting vector art from pdfs...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone know of a way to extract vector art from a PDF, so as to maintain the vectors?

I don't know for sure what program created the original art, but I'm hoping to extract the art in it's original format so that it's still editable.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Open the PDF file in Illustrator.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Illustrator, Canvas and Freehand all do this IIRC. Don't know of any free or close-to-free apps that can do it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks, everyone, for the help. I have a fairly current version of Canvas and it worked just fine!

Thanks again for the assistance!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    On the linux side there are Sopodi and InkScape, neither of which have made it onto MacOS X without X-11 yet.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    FWIW, there's a thread in the Stone Design forums where this came up as a request. Andrew said it's on the menu, but no one has really been pushing for it, so it's not a priority right now. Additional input to him might change that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

FWIW, there's a thread in the Stone Design forums where this came up as a request. Andrew said it's on the menu, but no one has really been pushing for it, so it's not a priority right now. Additional input to him might change that.

I really don't see Create getting this ability. If I were to lay odd I would say that the other big NeXT development house that is still standing would have a better chance: OmniGroup. While this has not been talked about at all at Omni, I could see OmniGraffle getting this sort of feature. Actually, I have been asking them to tweak a few things so that I can create PDF forms through their software.

But in any case... don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, if Andrew made it a priority, it would happen, but as I said, it's not and he even says it would take him a while. It's not something I'm looking for a this point either. I could have maybe used it a few months ago for a few pdfs of CAD drawings that I could have tweaked, but it's nothing I'm in need of at the moment.