Acrobat 7?

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
okay, this kinda surprised me, anyone else?

Adobe introduces Acrobat 7

now, maybe i'm just cynical and jaded, but it seems the biggest change in this update is the visual identity on the packaging. their "product tour" PDF is six pages long, and three of those pages are intro and conclusion. and easily half of the new features in their comparison matrix are windows-only.

i mean, i'm just kinda wondering who exactly they expect to pay for another upgrade with this, when it seems that acrobat 6 did a lot of this stuff okay as it was.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    And Adobe rep was in our lobby this morning so I posed your question. Amongst some of the new features there is a new Policy Manager for defining policies of course. She also said there's a commenting feature that's available in the reader if you have version 7 Professional. I got a packet..I'll look through it and see whatsup.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

And Adobe rep was in our lobby this morning so I posed your question. Amongst some of the new features there is a new Policy Manager for defining policies of course. She also said there's a commenting feature that's available in the reader if you have version 7 Professional. I got a packet..I'll look through it and see whatsup.

yeah, that did catch my eye. good for workgroups who want to collaborate, but don't want to shell out a per-seat license in order to do so. i guess this means they'll give reader the ability to save (i haven't used reader in a while, so maybe this has been there before).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    hmmm, i'm wondering how they will allow reader to save notes when it won't have the ability to save.

or maybe it will be able to save in version 7, but that has always been the "thing" which separates reader from the full version.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Well, it's alot faster to load up for one thing! On a dual 1.8 Ghz G5, having opened and quit the two packages once: Acrobat 6 takes nearly 8 seconds to load, Acrobat 7 takes 1.6 seconds.

Here's a list of some of the changes - no major show stoppers, especially if you're on a Mac. Alot of this upgrade is focussed at extending Acrobat's use for distributing engineering drawings rather than using Autodesk formats.

Creating forms is much easier and more powerful - they can be electronically filled in and signed. On windows, you can easily archive your inbox from Outlook - not sure about this on the mac just yet, will have to have a look. There's a browser plug in that means you can view pdfs direct from the browser window.

There's lots of CAD and engineering focussed stuff - great if you run AutoCAD, not sure how it affects Mac CAD packages such as Vectorworks.

You can attach files to your pdf document - there's an attachments pane in the interface to view attached files. Commenting and reviewing documents can be done through Safari.

You can get dimensions direct from the pdf. Security settings can now be made to expire after a given period. You can convert colours to CMYK. Large paper sizes are supported - I think the max used to be A0 (not sure about this) - it's now 15 million inches by 15 million inches.

You can embed 3D content into your file - Adobe Atmosphere files - not much use on the Mac, as you need Atmosphere to actually view them.

There's a button at the bottom of each column in multi column documents that takes you back to the top of the common.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Perhaps Adobe will finally release a proper pdf viewer for the browser OS X then.

Are there any windows only features?

Major Bad Karma if this is true. We are heavily into Adobe here and they are looking for any excuse to replace macs!

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There are tons of Windows-only features in 7. It's close to being a wash with 6, save the performance imporvements, on the Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Perhaps Adobe will finally release a proper pdf viewer for the browser OS X then.

Are there any windows only features?

Major Bad Karma if this is true. We are heavily into Adobe here and they are looking for any excuse to replace macs!

Dobby.

Most of the windows only stuff is only really relevent on PCs - things like integration with Inventor and AutoCAD which aren't about on Mac OS X. Most of the meaningful improvements to general functionality are there in both versions.

Haven't tried the new version of reader - assume it probably installs the same browser plug in as Acrobat Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The Forms Designer is Windows Only.

This wouldn't be bad news if Filemaker had a clue and had designed a simple internal PDF-XML solution that worked with Filemaker Pro 7 databases.

Then we could all sit around the campfire and wait for the Photoshop killer to appear.