Nintendo DS Preorder Check-in

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Who else has paid up and is merely waiting for November 21st to walk into a store and grab their pre-ordered DS?

I have that and Mario64x4 waiting for me.

Just 11 more days!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Pre-ordered a DS about 5 weeks ago.

Not fully payed off but will be on launch day.

Also have a import Sony PSP on pre-order. Hope I get it in time for X-Mas.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I wouldn't mind a PSP. I'd like to see what they are doing with it.

I am also looking to get a DVD+-RW. So I need to get all of this cleared with the wife.

I can spin the DVD+-RW off as useful to both of us, but two handhelds would not fly.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm more excited about the PSP, especially if they get San Andreas on it.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Mac users are not representing for Nintendo.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    The Nintendo DS seems a little clunky and weird. At first glance I'd easily choose the PSP over it... but I've yet to play either one so, what do I know? As of right now, I have no plans to but the Nintendo DS. There are too many other things I rather spend my money on.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    "There are too many other things I rather spend my money on."

Like black tar heroin....oh wait that's me.

Yeah for random drug references!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    im poor but i really wish i could get the ds.

its gona be sweet, you all need to check out this metroid video on ign where they have a dude using the touch screen to control the gun with the left hand, using the right hand side 4 buttons to move up down left right, and using the right shoulder button to shoot. it looks like hell of a lot of fun and seems like a revolutionary new way to play as well as seeming comfortable.

the touch screen is sweet and i cant wait to see what crazy things they do in the future. the ds has graphics very superior to the n64, some games look like inferior gamecube quality but that might be rare.

it comes with pictochat to draw and write messages and send them wirelessly. it has wireless play and wifi compatibility. 2 screens both able to go 3d at the same time and one being touch screen, built in mic, gameboy advance compatibility, and the cartridges look cool theyr half the size of a gba cart and hold more data than an n64 cart! it gets about 6 to 10 hours of gameplay, brings a stylus, and brings the metroid game built in!

it looks like so much fun i wish i could buy it. some people are even designing linux for it, i hope someone makes os x for it !

the psp is cool too it has the capacity to achieve inferior ps2 graphics but no one is going to develop games that reach that quality because the batter life will be eaten up. average games like puzzle games will get 4 to 6 hours at most, while more graphic intense games will get a lot less. lame gimmicks include being able to buy music and movie carts for it. it has wifi as well, thats about it.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Mini-N64? No thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    more like a mini dreamcast with a hell of a lot of features and a revolutionary new vision for the future :]
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

more like a mini dreamcast with a hell of a lot of features and a revolutionary new vision for the future :]

Mini-Dreamcast? Give me a break. This machine is nowhere near as powerful and if you've ever used your trackpad at home to play games, you'll know how 'revolutionary' the second touch senstitive display is. The software ports suggest it is indeed a scaled down N64. Have you seen the Madden NFL 2005 DS screenshots? Uuuuugly.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Mini-Dreamcast? Give me a break. This machine is nowhere near as powerful and if you've ever used your trackpad at home to play games, you'll know how 'revolutionary' the second touch senstitive display is. The software ports suggest it is indeed a scaled down N64. Have you seen the Madden NFL 2005 DS screenshots? Uuuuugly.

Yes I've played games with the track pad on my computer. The DS is nothing like this. The touch screen is nothing like this. It actually works quite well. I've only played Metroid Prime Hunters with the stylus and it was easy to control and felt like playing a FPS with a keyboard on mouse.

I hear the thumb nub thing is supposed to be 10x better for contol on that game than the stylus. So if the stylus is decent I can't imagine what the thumb nub thing is like.

I do aggree that the graphics arn't like the dreamcast, but more like the N64. The movies on the internet don't do this thing justice until you see true 3d running on a little handheld. Its actually cool. Give it a chance. Whats wrong with the N64 graphics? GO back and play the N64 and then the PSone. The N64's graphics have stood up much better over time.

I'm hoping to see inovative gameplay rather than the run of the mill PSP GTA 45 and GT 50 games that I've played over 100 times, just with better graphics.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

I'm hoping to see inovative gameplay rather than the run of the mill PSP GTA 45 and GT 50 games that I've played over 100 times, just with better graphics.

Innovative gameplay? The last innovation in video game controllers was the analog stick. There's another word for that: joystick.

Using a pressure sensitive screen provides just about zero sensory feedback.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Thats not the only thing the DS (touch Screen) thats different that other systems. How about the dual screens? What about the built in mic? How about wireless multiplayer?

I'm sure these are going to lead to some interesting gaming in the future.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Thats not the only thing the DS (touch Screen) thats different that other systems. How about the dual screens? What about the built in mic? How about wireless multiplayer?

I'm sure these are going to lead to some interesting gaming in the future.

Dual screens doesnt interest me...expecially when many of the games are using one of the screens for a gigantic map. The built-in mic hasnt been shown to do anything. And the PSP also has wireless multiplayer.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

im poor but i really wish i could get the ds.

its gona be sweet, you all need to check out this metroid video on ign where they have a dude using the touch screen to control the gun with the left hand, using the right hand side 4 buttons to move up down left right, and using the right shoulder button to shoot. it looks like hell of a lot of fun and seems like a revolutionary new way to play as well as seeming comfortable.

the touch screen is sweet and i cant wait to see what crazy things they do in the future. the ds has graphics very superior to the n64, some games look like inferior gamecube quality but that might be rare.

it comes with pictochat to draw and write messages and send them wirelessly. it has wireless play and wifi compatibility. 2 screens both able to go 3d at the same time and one being touch screen, built in mic, gameboy advance compatibility, and the cartridges look cool theyr half the size of a gba cart and hold more data than an n64 cart! it gets about 6 to 10 hours of gameplay, brings a stylus, and brings the metroid game built in!

it looks like so much fun i wish i could buy it. some people are even designing linux for it, i hope someone makes os x for it !

the psp is cool too it has the capacity to achieve inferior ps2 graphics but no one is going to develop games that reach that quality because the batter life will be eaten up. average games like puzzle games will get 4 to 6 hours at most, while more graphic intense games will get a lot less. lame gimmicks include being able to buy music and movie carts for it. it has wifi as well, thats about it.

Graphics are not "very superior" to the N64. They are on par with the N64 graphics on average. Some games a SLIGHTLY higher and some are slightly lower than N64 quality. The Metroid game is not built-in. For one, it is a Metroid demo that allows you to play for ten minutes and get as far as you can...then you gotta start over. And as I said it is not built-in, but it does come with the DS. PictoChat is the one that is built-in. The Linux thing is a gimmick....as with ANY other OS for it. Doing things on those small screens and with only 100MHz to work with? It wont be too pleasing.

The PSP....it HAS PS2 level graphics...and will get better as time goes on as with the other consoles. When the PS2 first launched, its games didnt look as good as they do nopw, the same will be true with the PSP. Gran Turismo 4: Mobile is a DIRECT port of the Ps2 version...so yea it does have PS2 quality graphics. I have not seen a game for the PSP that looks bad graphically. Developers have already developed games that reach that, like Ridge Racers and GT4: Mobile. Puzzle games get much more than 4-6 hours of gameplay. Puzzle games hardly require ANY use of the processors, and the UMD drive doesnt take much juice up...seeing as you can watch a movie on UMD for 4-5 hours(and with a movie the UMD is constantly spinning). The big battery eater is the WiFi...which you wont even use until Sony sets up PSP Online or when you wanna play with friends.

Music and Movies "carts"? Wow...anyways...Sony will release UMD Movies and UMD Music. Sony owns Sony Pictures, Columbia, and MGM. Many movies will be coming out on the UMD format...same with Music. And you do not have to buy movies and music on UMD...you can put them on the PSP memory stick(Memory Stick Duo cards) and use them in that way.

People can call the two screens, mic and pictochat a gimmick too. (Why use pictochat when you can walk 50 feet to talk to the person anyway?)
  • Reply 16 of 36
    oh no, not another sony fanboy.

first of all the hardware of the ds is ALREADY capable of superior n64 graphics. the reason i say dreamcast graphics is because if you look at pictures of comparisons you will see that the games look a HELL of a lot better, as much an upgrade from n64 or psx that the dreamcast was. it might not have the Exact hardware specifications of a dreamcast (resolution and progressive scan) BUT, when a game is played on a smaller screen it automatically takes better form and looks better than what it really is, therefor the DS will look like dreamcast quality, and the DS has the capability to progress.

the psp on the other hand, CANNOT progress, im not saying they cant progress on the hardware and push it more to its limits, but what i am saying is that they wont. the psp already only plays such lame games as puzzles for only 4 to 6 hours MAX, while intense graphic games (like metal gear acid, a card game) will last hell of a lot less. they will NOT push games to their maximum on the psp wether it is capable of it or not, this will sacrifice gametime, and i know they dont want people to have to be connected to an ac adapter constantly, or else whats the point of a portable system? stop trying to lie to the people, the psp doesnt even COME CLOSE to being ps2 graphics first of all. and 2nd the widescreen is a gimmick, games are not ment for widescreen, the extra space will be filled with a status bar or the game will appear squished. one of the two.

you dont have to buy umd movies or music? so how are you going to get them on ur memory stick? from your friend? i guess so. first of all the memory stick is a joke r u serious? do u honestly think u can store gigabytes on something ment to save games? the memory stick can hold about 5 minutes of music or even less of video, proven.

besides the fact that u even have to spend extra money to play a game forcing you to buy a memory stick, that is a gimmick in itself, and umd movies and music are pathetic and calling them a gimmick would actually be kind of modest.

why pictochat with someone 50 feet away when you can pictochat with someone 50 states away? ds comes with wifi, moron.

dual screen and touch screen, microphone, wireless, etc are not gimmicks, because you're not paying much extra for it. the ds will be 150 at launch, by the time the psp comes out its rumored to be at 100. games will be 30 dollars, psp games, which will be the same games from your ps2 will cost 50 dollars.

the ds can send game signal to other ds's nearby, meaning you can play a game ur friend might have without even having the cartridge in your ds, you can play multiplayer (head to head or co-op, or w.e)against a big network of other ds's close to you, without Anybody but one person having the cart, you can play levels on a game while ur friend plays a different level. this alone increases the value of the ds.

the ds will be the only one out of the 2 handhelds that could possibly advance in any direction, and many directions there are. theres already a launch game that makes use of the microphone and touch screen at the same time. nintendo has huge 3rd party deals for the ds, with over 150 games already in development, and you know for damn sure that number will probably be doubled by the time the psp comes out.

psp might have wireless multiplayer, but everyones going to need to spend the money to buy the game, not only will you have a hard time finding Anyone with a psp, you will have a harder time finding someone with your particular game.

to eugene: the touch screen will give you hell of sensory feedback, this isnt a voting booth this is advanced hardware. the last innovation in gameplay was the analog stick, who brought that to console gaming? nintendo? thank you.

you people are so negative, whats the point? im not buying any of these things nore do i plan to unless i get a good job or something, yet i still call things as i see them. you're all just a bunch of brainwashed fools like the american people. hate fills your souls because your insecure and conforming to society. grow up, the nintendo ds is a great piece of hardware. if you support apple you should support nintendo, they are the apple of the console market. they dont try to do whats in style, they try to innovate and retain their pride. i know that doesnt mean anything to any of you, but it means a lot to me from both apple and nintendo, and that is why i support them. i am tired of the common thinking scum such as the fools who inhabit this thread. get a life, and stop molding facts in favor of the view you want people to have, let them make their own choices. i provided nothing but facts while you provided nothing but opinion "dual screen sux, we all know how touch screen worked with the trackpad, the ds is scaled down n64", get a life and a new gimmick, fools.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Both of those systems look neat but the games coming out for them don't really interest me, some of the PSP games look good but $50 for them seems a little much.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    I just hate the notion of today's gamers saying better graphics/more powerful system = better games.

YES! Now with PSP I can play the same game types I've been playing for the past 6 years (whenever the PSone came out). How exciting is that?

What about innovative gameplay? Or would you guys rather just play the same games over and over with better graphics?

p.s. The mic is being used in "Feel the Magic: XY XX (or whatever its called)".
  • Reply 19 of 36
    the DS looks mighty fine...I would totally go for one except.

I really don't care for portable gaming.

I used to have a gameboy and a gamegear back when I was younger, I enjoyed them a bunch, but like, that was when I was younger and life consisted of 90% fun/games and 10% sleeping

Maybe if my brother gets a DS I might be interested, since then we can do the whole wireless thing, which I think would rule.

PSP...also looks pretty good, but I think the DS is a better system overall, nintendo has had a very firm grip on the portable gaming market for the past 6+ years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I haven't really kept up with my DS info, does anyone know whether it can interface with a Gamecube like the GBA can?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Sony fanboi, ahahaha. That's rich D3ct. What about me, am I a Sony fanboi? The only current generation system I own is a GameCube. How about that? I've owned an Intellivision, a NES, a GameBoy, an SNES and a GameCube. That's it. If I do buy a DS it will ONLY be because of Bomberman DS, and that is contingent on 3 of my friends also getting DSes. (Unlikely).

Face it, aside from the touch screen, there's nothing to rave about the DS. Dual screens doesn't matter than the single Sony screen is just about as big as both put together. In addition, UMD allows for much cheaper games. Cartridges are tied to non-volatile memory prices, so the only $30 carts you'll see are rehashes like Mario 64 which took almost zero time to port from the N64 version. How much is Sonic DS going to be? $50. How much is ESPN Football 2K5 for XBox and PS2? $20.

I was a Nintendo fanboi for going on two decades. You'd better believe Nintendo is hearing footsteps.

Quote:

PSP...also looks pretty good, but I think the DS is a better system overall, nintendo has had a very firm grip on the portable gaming market for the past 6+ years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I see it changing very soon. And it's not only because I don't think the DS is up to snuff. It's not even being marketed as a GameBoy. Why is Nintendo dropping such a successful, recognizable name from a product that is clearly its successor?

Nintendo is doing a lot of things these days that don't make any sense.