question on Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi!

I never owned an Apple, but I'm thinking of buying a 12" or 15" Powerbook. Only, I'm getting the impression that now is not a good time: they are relative expensive and people on this forum keep saying January is "upgrade time".

I find the current G4's with videocard pretty slow (not intending to pay extra for what I consider to be "normal" for the price I pay, e.g 512 MB memory and an Ati).

What would be a realistic picture on a Powerbook upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Im in the same situation as you. Im holding out untill after MWSF, tiger, and the rumored speed bumps. I also dont have the money yet, but thats a different story. I am also plannin on getting a 15 inch with 128 mb graphics. But, as you know, nothing is certain.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Based on history it would seem a good guess that a PB revision would come at MWSF. I don't know about expecting a big price change though. PBs seem fairly priced. You may be able to find a few machines that are lower priced but not with the same specs as a PB. Only two months to go. I can't wait.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Thanks.

I'm not saying that the price is too high as a whole, but the price is too high in relation what you get back for it. E.g when the Ati will become standard for 12", and if it will contain a speed bumb or memory upgrade, I will buy it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I'm hoping for a few things with the speed bumps:

1. Bumping up the standard video memory to the 128 MB ATI

2. Making the default RAM configuration on the 15" 1 stick of 512 instead of 2 of 256.

3. Processor bump.

The thing that I would like most is the video memory bump, which is all but certain. Its those little $100 add ons that really bring up the price.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    ideal would be:

12" Powerbook:

1.5GHz G5

GPU upgrade: Mobility Radeon 9700

512MB RAM \\default
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

ideal would be:

12" Powerbook:

1.5GHz G5

512MB RAM \\default

if that was the upgrade that comes up next id buy one on the spot its the lil things like that that r holding me and others from making a purchase apple needs to get on the ball >:o
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Although this thread smells like FH, there are two schools of thought. Since the PB's are overdue for their speedbump, some are suggesting something good at MWSF (G5)!.

The alternative is that the reason they werent updated is because there are no faster G4's available and that a 7448 with 200MHz bus and 1.8G would be a decent update come MWSF.

My feeling is that SJ rarely does a song and dance with simple updates - so my money is on a 1.6G-1.8G G5 for the 15-17", not sure about the 12"?.

Either way, im definetly retiring my trusty old Ti400. Heck even the 1.5G would be good enough for me, but id be silly not to hang tough for another 7 weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Man, I haven't posted in quite a while!!! I'm going to do so now because I believe that this will be a worthy point. One thing I've learned is that first generation processor (e.g. G4 to G5 PowerBook) updates usually are buggy, to me the best thing to do is get at least the third or fourth version into the generation.

In my case, I got the 17" 1.5 Ghz PB G4 with 1 gig memory this past july, even though I knew the G5 might be around the corner, because I knew that I was getting a pretty solid system. It handles Photoshop and Illustrator like a dream, and that's all I need, not to mention video editing... beautiful, very very smooth and solid... no frame drops!

Maybe you think I'm just saying this to keep from kicking myself in the butt on january... Maybe you're right...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

ideal would be:

12" Powerbook:

1.5GHz G5

512MB RAM \\default

If this really comes out, it would be great!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Don't underestimate the power of the current powerbook. It flies compared to my old computer, but that might differ from your experiences. Did anyone else see those commercials from Gateway where the guy has the new computer and on his way home from buying it he notices someone putting a banner up for a newer new computer? That's how the computer industry is. Just think of it like this, what you get will be better (if you're smart) than what you had, and you can't let it get to you. Plus, there's always upgrades.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    the only solution to ever changing technology is to rob a bank
  • Reply 12 of 12
    i really hope that the 12" at least stays g4 with a very sweet upgrade i hope i hope i hopppe