45 inch cinema display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since there is a lot of buzz around here about iServers, tv-tuners, iMovie and the like, there is definitely also going to be a strong desire for more power on the monitor front 8)

So, what do you think of the prospects for larger Cinema displays? In the NYtimes today a review of 45 and 46 inch high resolution Sharp and Samsung LCD screens:

NYtimes (registration required)

Also, now possible, a Dual 3.0 gHz dual core G5 powermac behind your screen.......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There is no need to get that big. Are you just bored or something? Have you seen the size of the 30" in person yet? DOOOD we are talking overkill. Especially when for what Apple will charge you'll be able to get a pioneer 55" HD Plasma for less, and plug that in.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    No. Makes no sense. One sits too close to a monitor to utilize something like a 45" screen effectively. Onlooker's right - the 30" is huge if you've never seen it in person. Dwarfs the 23" and makes it look like a 15".

Besides, the pixel count wouldn't be there. The LCD's you refer to in that article are 1920x1080... nowhere close to the 30" Cinema's 2560x1600.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    45" Cinema Display would of course be useful. If some people are actually contemplating dual 30" then a 60" LCD meets the needs of a select few.

I say bring it on.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The required resolution isn't there at this point in time.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Slightly OT, what happened to that much rumored Apple Projector?
  • Reply 6 of 66
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    why would Apple make a projector?

I don't even like their displays (high cost, low contrast ratio, LCD only)
  • Reply 7 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

why would Apple make a projector?

I don't even like their displays (high cost, low contrast ratio, LCD only)

I haven't seen many cheaper 30" LCDs with a matching resolution.

Contrast Ratio. Trust me I'd bet you $100 that your naked eyes couldn't tell 1500:1 versus 2000:1. People spouting off about Contrast Ratios have succumbed to spec whoring.

With LCDs it's not a matter of how many pixels but how fast you can push the data to fill those pixels. a 40" LCD in inevitable as the panels keep getting larger and larger and there's always a need for more screen real estate.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    For computer use, 45 inch is useless.

Giant screens are fantastic when you are looking it at some distances, but if you are looking a screen at two feets, it will become annoying, because the image will be too wide. If you step back, you will be able to see the whole image, but you will not be able anymore to read the small letters on it.

I want a giant screen for video, but I don't want a giant screen (read beyond 30 inch for computer use).
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Think outside the box fellas. Resolution independence is coming. That's a fact. Thus we can no longer think of desktop space in its current form. Everything will scale to what you prefer. Thus, a 45" would be overkill for today but may be perfect for tomorrow.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

Slightly OT, what happened to that much rumored Apple Projector?

I think the key word here is: RUMORED.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Think outside the box fellas. Resolution independence is coming. That's a fact. Thus we can no longer think of desktop space in its current form. Everything will scale to what you prefer. Thus, a 45" would be overkill for today but may be perfect for tomorrow.

Resolution-independence is coming for computer monitors, but not for TV displays. When you add real estate to a computer monitor, you get more data onscreen. When you add real estate to a TV monitor, you get a bigger display of the same data. The highest pixel count for a TV monitor is 1920 x 1080. The new 45" LCD HD displays are 1920 x 1080, approximately half of the pixel count of a new Apple 30" Cinema Display. If you ever see a 90" HD display, it will still be 1920 x 1080.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Resolution-independence is coming for computer monitors, but not for TV displays. When you add real estate to a computer monitor, you get more data onscreen. When you add real estate to a TV monitor, you get a bigger display of the same data. The highest pixel count for a TV monitor is 1920 x 1080. The new 45" LCD HD displays are 1920 x 1080, approximately half of the pixel count of a new Apple 30" Cinema Display. If you ever see a 90" HD display, it will still be 1920 x 1080.

Not that it's a bad thing.

I have a 20" viewable TFT CRT monitor and I run it at 1280x1024. WHY? because I can sit 3 feet away!

3 feet! that's how I've been using computers for 18 years and my eyes are still perfect.

I'd LOVE to have a 45" screen at 1920x1080. I could sit like 5 feet away and see everything! I wouldn't even have to take breaks!

Unfortunately, I hate LCDs. Years of playing video games allow me to see the advantage of 100+ FPS (vs 60) and the smear of LCD crystals as they change color. Watching movies on an LCD vs a CRT is just annoying to me, I want to turn it off or leave because I just can't get used to it.

Not to mention I can't live without PURE BLACK--something LCDs have yet to do.

I'm waiting for a 1980x1024 DLP PROJECTOR (you know, the kind that you mount on the ceiling of the room).. I think that's gonna be the end-all until *LED screens come out. Go to fry's sometime and look at the DLP projection TVs... man that's really cool, too bad it requires a dark room.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Yes HD is 1920-1080 but that doesn't mean that you cannot view HD on say an Apple Cinema 30" which offers 2560x1600

You will just have extra pixels around the edges. I see what you're saying however. With LCDs aimed at TV the resolution is tailored for HD.

Quote:

I'm waiting for a 1980x1024 DLP PROJECTOR

Yeah baby! 1080p DLP for me
  • Reply 14 of 66
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yes HD is 1920-1080 but that doesn't mean that you cannot view HD on say an Apple Cinema 30" which offers 2560x1600

You will just have extra pixels around the edges. I see what you're saying however. With LCDs aimed at TV the resolution is tailored for HD....

If Apple were to reduce the pixel count to 2560 x 1440, you could eliminate the "few extra pixels around the edges." However, the fundamental "problem" would remain. The highest resolution HD image than can be displayed is still 1920 x 1080, just stretched over more screen pixels.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    It's inevitable...one day huge ass monitors will be cheap enough that everyone will have 50" monitors in every room of the house. You'll be able to watch TV, movies, all through your computer which will have a resolution independent UI that will allow you to be anywhere in the room and use the computer as if it was sitting 3 feet in front of you.

I say 15 years.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

It's inevitable...one day huge ass monitors will be cheap enough that everyone will have 50" monitors in every room of the house. You'll be able to watch TV, movies, all through your computer which will have a resolution independent UI that will allow you to be anywhere in the room and use the computer as if it was sitting 3 feet in front of you.

I say 15 years.

I bet they're going to make monitors in place of wall paper. If you've seen the way LCDs work, they're kind of like that already (when you take out the light source).
  • Reply 17 of 66
    The bigger the better. My real world desk is too small and so is my monitor. Give me half a wall for viewing. Sure, I'll focus on one spot, just like real paper sitting on a real desk. Then I'll look around for that other file and drag it down to were I'm working. Then when I'm done, I kick back and turn on the TV or wathc a DVD on the entire screen.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    There are already Ultra HiDef projectors at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 and the 'kiretsu' will be pushing this resolution as the next video standard once HiDef has become the norm. A 45" or 50" LCD at that sort of resolution would work as a computer monitor. Make more sense than 2 x 30" do frankly.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    How the hell would you find your cursor on a 45 inch monitor?
  • Reply 20 of 66
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Could someone explain resolution independence?