Have to convince roommate not to get a cat

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is not about the merits of cats. I don't like cats, but regardless of what kind of small animal you replace cat with, I hold the same position.

I don't live in a big place, and it's shared. I've had some minor issues with this guy in the past, but all in all no problems. I'm pretty easy going, believe it or not. To paraphrase an excellent movie "The cat is not the issue. The issue is drawing a line in the sand, over which you do not!" Except in this case, the cat is partly the issue. I'm allergic to cats, and I think he's just trying to piss me off.

Last time he brought it up, I told him that if he got a cat, I would get rid of it. I think he took this to mean I would kill the cat, since he has seen me put the boot to the gecko problem that he uses as an excuse to get the cat, and since he brought up a number of animal cruelty laws immediately afterward. I was more thinking along the lines of trapping the cat, and releasing it near some dumpsters several miles up the road. But I think that this has all just made him more resolute.

I need some better reasons to stop this, because I don't want to have to spend an hour on the weekend transporting a cat from the house to its natural habitat. Plus, this won't be a good thing for diplomacy.

The whole allergic thing isn't cutting it, since he claims that he can restrict the cat, and the air, into his rooms alone. He is a smart guy, and has a mechanical engineering degree, so the whole truth behind air handlers doesn't phase his foolish notion of containment. I need some clever, manipulative people to help me hatch a plan. I'm not much of a manipulator. Usually I just threaten castration, and that does the trick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Have you thought about looking into non-cat-loving roommates?

Personally, I hate cats. Can't stand them. Love dogs. Hate cats.

Dog's thought-process: This person feeds me, gives me water, plays with me ... he must be God.

Cat's thought-process: This person feeds me, gives me water, plays with me ... I must be God.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    It's has been said before... but it merits occasional repetition.

BUNNIES ARE SOFT

• Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

Have you thought about looking into non-cat-loving roommates?

The real estate is too prime. Not worth passing it up. I'd rather take the weekend drive, get the point across, have him whine for a few days, and incite desire for him to leave.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Cats rule.

Hate dogs, but the bottom line is that he's being a dick if he doesn't consider the people he lives with by simply dropping an animal into the picture.

Does he really want to get a cat or does he want to push your buttons?

Is he home much? Cats are very self sufficient, but why a pet and why now?

If he's such a smart guy then he should really realize that confining a cat to one room of your shared space is quite cruel and not at all a cool thing to do to any animal.

Besides, the cat won't stand for that. It'll be dying to get beyond that door right from the start. Cats are very curious and clever. It'll find a way if it can.

And if it can't get out, it'll want to so much that it's going to be meowing like a mofo to get out when no one's there (neighbors hate that).

You can't confine a cat to a room - if that's what he's thinking. That sucks as an existence and it's just very inconsiderate to make this move when you've told him that you are allergic.

Tell the guy that it's cruel to the cat, it's cruel to you and if he really wants a pet then he should go get a better job and move out to his own place where he can make decisions like this without adversely effecting his housemate(s).
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Bunnies are portable crap machines... 'pellets' everywhere.

Yappy pet animals of any kind are more annoying than anything else.

Dogs are generally incapable of feeding themselves. Cats hunt.

As for clever arguments indirectly against the presence of pets... claim to habitually leave chocolate everywhere. Lethal if snookums discovers OD quantities.

But what's wrong with Geckos? Don't tell me you're stomping geckos, dude.

Walk on glass with VanDerWalls forces in microhairs is cool. Mosquito eating is cool.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

This is not about the merits of cats. I don't like cats, but regardless of what kind of small animal you replace cat with, I hold the same position.

I don't live in a big place, and it's shared. I've had some minor issues with this guy in the past, but all in all no problems. I'm pretty easy going, believe it or not. To paraphrase an excellent movie "The cat is not the issue. The issue is drawing a line in the sand, over which you do not!" Except in this case, the cat is partly the issue. I'm allergic to cats, and I think he's just trying to piss me off.

Last time he brought it up, I told him that if he got a cat, I would get rid of it. I think he took this to mean I would kill the cat, since he has seen me put the boot to the gecko problem that he uses as an excuse to get the cat, and since he brought up a number of animal cruelty laws immediately afterward. I was more thinking along the lines of trapping the cat, and releasing it near some dumpsters several miles up the road. But I think that this has all just made him more resolute.

I need some better reasons to stop this, because I don't want to have to spend an hour on the weekend transporting a cat from the house to its natural habitat. Plus, this won't be a good thing for diplomacy.

The whole allergic thing isn't cutting it, since he claims that he can restrict the cat, and the air, into his rooms alone. He is a smart guy, and has a mechanical engineering degree, so the whole truth behind air handlers doesn't phase his foolish notion of containment. I need some clever, manipulative people to help me hatch a plan. I'm not much of a manipulator. Usually I just threaten castration, and that does the trick.

Normally there is rules for sharing home.

At your place, I will simply say that if he take a cat, you will sue him. He will be responsible of your health problems, unless the door of his room is sealed. Seriously I think it's technically possible.

Killing the cat, or transporting in it's natural habitat (it does not do any sense, it's not a wildcat) is not the solution. The solution is that your roomate does not bring the cat, or if he is fool enough to do it, that he bring the cat back.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Dogs only don't hunt because it's been breeded out of them. Cats just aren't as domesticated.

Personally I've always wanted a sugar glider. It's a domesticated flying squirrel.

Tell him if he gets a cat your going to get a snake, and leave it's cage door open with cat nip inside
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

It's a domesticated flying squirrel.

Yeah, like a koala is a bear and a kangaroo is a rat.

Mendosi
  • Reply 9 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    introduce him to the wonderful world of cat pee. and hairballs. and dead birds on your step. and cats clamoring up and down his body while he's trying to sleep. and scratched up furniture. and...
  • Reply 10 of 32
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Tell him that you're going to get a skunk if he gets a cat. If he gets a cat, then get a real, full-fleged and scented skunk. Let it fumify (?) the place.

Then find a new place to live. Leave Scortched Earth in your wake.

Sorry, best that I can do. Negotiation and playing well with others is not my strong suite.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 11 of 32
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

...Leave Scortched Earth in your wake.

Sorry, best that I can do. Negotiation and playing well with others is not my strong suite.

As I would expect from someone who was ardently Republican and pro-Bush.

Oh, I'm sorry... This is outside Political Outsider?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Cake:

thank you. I think your information has saved my day.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I'm glad I could help.

I hope everything works out for you.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I will kill your cat.

If you get a cat, I will kill it.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I will kill your cat.

If you get a cat, I will kill it.

Wrong answer. The cat is innocent.

The right answer is : if you have a cat, I will kill you , and your testicles will be a good food for your cat.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    How about you suggest an equal split on the rent - three ways.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Dog's thought-process: This person feeds me, gives me water, plays with me ... he must be God.

Cat's thought-process: This person feeds me, gives me water, plays with me ... I must be God.

So true.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Wrong answer. The cat is innocent.

The right answer is : if you have a cat, I will kill you , and your testicles will be a good food for your cat.

It's just a threat.

But you have to look like you mean it.

"I will kill your cat."
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Yeah. Dogs have owners, cats have staff. True that.

But forget Shetline's bunnies. Yes, it does bear repeating that they are indeed soft.

But look at this.

Hello. I am a lemur and I am the cutest creature in the world.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

It's just a threat.

But you have to look like you mean it.

"I will kill your cat."

But me, I was serious with my own threat