The first post

imeime
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all. This is my first posting here on AppleInsider after Google-ing some Apple products and information.

In the next few months I?ll be looking to purchase a new notebook and Apple has got my attention with its iBook and PowerBook products. Right now I am more leaning on the 14-inch iBook.

My question is what is: what is the difference between the iBook and the PowerBook, looking at their performance in the MAC OS X environment?

Lastly, what do you expect the prices will drop on the iBook and PowerBook notebooks by spring 2005, and do you expect that there will be new versions of the iBook and PowerBook by that time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Welcome. I think you'll find that most here, with some exceptions of course, will recommend the 12" iBook over the 14". Remember that they have the same resolution.

The iBooks were updated a month ago, and there's historically been an average of 6 months or so between iBook updates. That would put a best guess for the next iBook update in April. But who knows.

I think it's a pretty good bet that the PowerBooks will be updated in January, with a fair chance of seeing a G5 in them.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Welcome.

Your question is quite common, and if you search the forums for "iBook vs PowerBook" or similar keywords (the little search button under the speedholes on the top right) you'll likely find dozens of threads discussing the merits of one versus the other going back a few models.

What everybody will ask is what will you do with it?

If all you want is basic email, web, and basic iLife apps for simple music, photo, and video work, the iBook is probably the best bang for your buck.

If this will be a production machine for more professional work or requires connection to DVI monitors or needs the maximum performance in the most portable form factor, you'd obviously be looking higher up the food chain at a PowerBook.

The PB has better GPU, more VRAM, DVI out, true display spanning, clamshell mode, better keyboard, and slightly better performance at most tasks.

The iBook has slightly better Airport range (polycarbonate shell instead of Aluminium) and although the polycarbonate can scratch more easily, some find the iBook sturdier (Aluminium can dent). The 14" iBook has the best battery life if you tweak the settings right.

Pricing and 'days since update' can be found here
  • Reply 3 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    iMeMine
  • Reply 4 of 11
    imeime Posts: 40member
    I will mostly use the notebook computer for programming and web development, surfing the web, email, and listening to music via iTunes (which I love on the Windows machine I have).

Today I had an opportunity to take a look and try out a 12-inch iBook as well as a 15-inch PowerBook. I thought that the 15-inch PowerBook looked awesome - I love the widescreen.

Just curious, BRussell, why do you recommend the 12-inch iBook over the 14-inch iBook?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMe

I will mostly use the notebook computer for programming and web development, surfing the web, email, and listening to music via iTunes (which I love on the Windows machine I have).

Today I had an opportunity to take a look and try out a 12-inch iBook as well as a 15-inch PowerBook. I thought that the 15-inch PowerBook looked awesome - I love the widescreen.

Just curious, BRussell, why do you recommend the 12-inch iBook over the 14-inch iBook?

I'm getting a 15" PowerBook next week. I've owned a 12" PowerBook for almost a year now... great machine, but the 12" screen becomes constraining sometimes when you need more real-estate.

Most people recommend the 12" iBook over the 14" because they both have a 1024x768 screen resolution. So, you don't get any screen real-estate advantage with the 14" over the 12". The 12" model is extremely portable as well and cheaper. So, without any major reason to have a 14" (I think the 12" can have a SuperDrive now as well... right?), the 12" tends to be preferred.

If you can afford it... go with the 15" PowerBook. Great machine. And, even though I am getting one next week, I also think that new PowerBooks will be released on January 11 at MacWorld San Fransisco. Decide if you can wait it out or if you need it now... then buy.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

If you can afford it... go with the 15" PowerBook. Great machine. And, even though I am getting one next week, I also think that new PowerBooks will be released on January 11 at MacWorld San Fransisco. Decide if you can wait it out or if you need it now... then buy.

I am just doing some preliminary research before buying it in the spring time. Just trying to find out if the Apple will fit my needs and if so which to choose, the iBook or PowerBook.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMe

They both are native 1024X768, and so the smaller size of the 12" makes it more attractive, IMO. Usually larger screen means larger resolution, but not with the iBooks. It's also cheaper of course.

But there are some benefits to the 14": a bit faster processor, I think it has a longer battery life, and the option for a SuperDrive. Unless I needed the Superdrive though, I personally would get the 12".
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

They both are native 1024X768, and so the smaller size of the 12" makes it more attractive, IMO. Usually larger screen means larger resolution, but not with the iBooks. It's also cheaper of course.

But there are some benefits to the 14": a bit faster processor, I think it has a longer battery life, and the option for a SuperDrive. Unless I needed the Superdrive though, I personally would get the 12".

Nah I was not even thinking of the SuperDrive. The ComboDrive is all I need. I can burn DVDs on my PC.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMe

Nah I was not even thinking of the SuperDrive. The ComboDrive is all I need. I can burn DVDs on my PC.

Wait... you mean... you're keeping your PC after purchasing your Mac!? What's wrong with you!?

If I was just getting a Mac to "play" with, I'd get the 12" iBook. It's portable, cheap and a good introduction to the Mac in general. You may end up switching completely and, if that's the case, you can always move up to the PowerBook or keep your iBook and get an iMac or a Power Mac G5 when the need arises.

It sounds like the 12" iBook is the way to go for you... just a warning... once you go to the PowerBook, you can never go back. I considered getting a 12" iBook, but the PowerBook is just plain beautiful compared to that white plastic. You've been warned. Avoid that side of the Apple store.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Yes exactly. I saw the 15-inch PowerBook compared to the 12-inch iBook and the PB looks amazing with its wide screen.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMe

Yes exactly. I saw the 15-inch PowerBook compared to the 12-inch iBook and the PB looks amazing with its wide screen.

I vote for the 15" PB - and get 1GB of RAM and the 7,200 RPM drive. You won't be disappointed. This will last years. Also, if you can wait around until January, I would do so (it's only 7-8 weeks - you never know your luck!)