The official "Stuff You Can't Do On The Mac" thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Um, I can't train with my powerbook. My 10lb HP lapyacht is much better at isolating the biceps and deltoids.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Um, I can't train with my powerbook. My 10lb HP lapyacht is much better at isolating the biceps and deltoids.

LOL... Nice.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    I'm in a very different situation - I find that I am doing more on my Macs than I ever did on a PC, and I used PCs since the days of DOS.

iLife (actually iPhoto) was the first time I got into digital pics - right around the time I became a grandfather - and I also use PhotoShop Elements. Tons of very old family pics scanned and cleaned up, photo books from Apple, etc.

Now moving into digital movies.

Tons of freeware or inexpensive shareware on Apple's web site or, my favorite: http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/cats.php

Had an iSight chat from Seoul with the wife back in the States.

And there is VPC for the odd situation that needs XP - which is not allowed on the internet for any reason.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Let me explain further... My wife and I got married in Lake Tahoe last year and I have this disk of pictures from the photographer that only shows the scrapbook of images on a damn PC.

What kind of crappy photographer wouldn't give you the original digital images? How are you supposed to put the photos on your website, or make prints, or send them to friends and family? What are you supposed to do in 20 years when Windows SupremeSuckEdition'21 breaks the photographer's poorly-written-anyway scrapbook application? That would make me madder than hell that someone was screwing with my wedding photos like that.

I just can't believe that a professional photographer would be so unprofessional. Are you sure you can't get the raw images off the CD?
  • Reply 25 of 56
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Most wedding photographers don't give you jack. My wife and I lucked out amazingly in that ours was a commercial photographer by trade, did weddings for fun. We got proofs of every shot. He kept the negatives, obviously, but at least we got copies of everything... which is unusual.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

What are you supposed to do in 20 years when Windows SupremeSuckEdition'21 breaks the photographer's poorly-written-anyway scrapbook application?

Oh now let's be fair.... We all know that Longhorn will still be the most current version of Windows in 20 years, pending Microsoft's survival in OS business.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Just wait for the powerbook G5.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

What kind of crappy photographer wouldn't give you the original digital images? How are you supposed to put the photos on your website, or make prints, or send them to friends and family? What are you supposed to do in 20 years when Windows SupremeSuckEdition'21 breaks the photographer's poorly-written-anyway scrapbook application? That would make me madder than hell that someone was screwing with my wedding photos like that.

I just can't believe that a professional photographer would be so unprofessional. Are you sure you can't get the raw images off the CD?

I agree that this was somewhat unprofessional, but it was part of a package (actual proofs were not). So I am stuck with this disk that is completely unrecognizible by my Mac. I was thinking that I could load it onto my PC and use some screen capture program like Fullshot to pull the images off and then clean up the images in photoshop on my powerbook. Please notice how I try to avoid as much contact with a PC as possible. I have been putting this off for some time now because of the sheer frustration of having to go through all this. Any other advice would be appreciated, although I don't mean to derail the thread.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    I'll bet you $10 that the pictures are in a standard format (JPEG, etc) with a non-standard file extension to make it look proprietary...
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I'll bet you $10 that the pictures are in a standard format (JPEG, etc) with a non-standard file extension to make it look proprietary...

I hope you are right, I'll give it a shot this weekend
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Oh I can't do a lot of thing on my Mac that I can do on a PC.

1. Can't get mad and punch and kick the crap out of the Mac but, I can do with the PC.

2. Can't spend hours cleaning out viruses on my Mac.

3. Can't scream at my Mac when it crashes.

4. I can't be blinded by the ugly background on the Mac and future version of the Mac.

5. Can't break the tray off my mac( I have a pbook G4)

6. Can't enjoy reformatting my Mac.

There is a lot more but, to lazy to post them.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    I had a similar thing with my wedding photographs. They used a tool called FlipAlbum to generate a PC-only viewer, and I was also unable to read the raw JPEGs on the CD. I enquired and found that (1) the JPEGs were encrypted, and (2) there is Mac viewer for FlipAlbums, but the photographer needed a newer version of the program than they were using.

Fortunately, my photographer was very accommodating and supplied me with some standard JPEGs that I could read.

They also supplied a very nice slideshow in .EXE format that of course I could only view on a PC. Ended up solving that by generating a DVD, though it's a lot lower quality than the higher-res PC slideshow.

There appears to be a lack of ways to make cross-platform, high quality slideshows. Most of the pro tools out there generate either PC-only slideshows, or lower-quality cross-platform output (VCD, DVD).
  • Reply 33 of 56
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Oh I can't do a lot of thing on my Mac that I can do on a PC.

I can't get angry when my company's promises about future products don't pan out like they planned. What f-ing promises? They don't tell me shit!!

--B
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Get a virus.

Bang.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Use MiniTab without VPC. My dad has to use it because of work, I still managed to talk him into getting a dual 2Ghz Powermac though.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neilw

I had a similar thing with my wedding photographs. They used a tool called FlipAlbum to generate a PC-only viewer, and I was also unable to read the raw JPEGs on the CD. I enquired and found that (1) the JPEGs were encrypted, and (2) there is Mac viewer for FlipAlbums, but the photographer needed a newer version of the program than they were using.

Fortunately, my photographer was very accommodating and supplied me with some standard JPEGs that I could read.

They also supplied a very nice slideshow in .EXE format that of course I could only view on a PC. Ended up solving that by generating a DVD, though it's a lot lower quality than the higher-res PC slideshow.

There appears to be a lack of ways to make cross-platform, high quality slideshows. Most of the pro tools out there generate either PC-only slideshows, or lower-quality cross-platform output (VCD, DVD).

I don't understand, with something like wedding photos, why would you not, along with everything, get a copy of the files right off the camera? why does he have the right to lock down your memories? maybe it is just me but I would want the .raw/.tiffs that came right off the camera - full res and uncompressed...Am i nuts?
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Yes. By law, as the photographer, he has 100% copyright. Period.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yes. By law, as the photographer, he has 100% copyright. Period.

oh, I guess I would just have a prerequisite going in that i get the .raw/.tiffs, call me a geek, but that is how i roll, if I am paying you to record me singing, i wouldnt want a 128k aac, i would want the studio tape (or at the least a 2nd gen. copy)

and to the copyirght thing: does that mean that they could sell MY photos that I paid for to (fill in magazine here) and keep all of the money but I could not redistribute the photos for profit? I agree that the photographer should have rights to the photos but the customers should have equal right. after all, who paid for the photogropher to take the pictures in the first place?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

oh, I guess I would just have a prerequisite going in that i get the .raw/.tiffs, call me a geek, but that is how i roll, if I am paying you to record me singing, i wouldnt want a 128k aac, i would want the studio tape (or at the least a 2nd gen. copy)

and to the copyirght thing: does that mean that they could sell MY photos that I paid for to (fill in magazine here) and keep all of the money but I could not redistribute the photos for profit? I agree that the photographer should have rights to the photos but the customers should have equal right. after all, who paid for the photogropher to take the pictures in the first place?

Well, you could always contract with (e.g. agree with) the photographer to get the negatives/RAW/TIFF/whatever. He owns the copyright to the photo, but I think he may need a release (from you) if he wants to sell the photo, etc. Two different property rights: the copyright on the photo he took (his) and the right to use your likeness (yours).
  • Reply 40 of 56
    I spent three days of my vacation troubleshooting my dad's PC. Windows XP service pack 2 uses ACPI 2.0 and I had to upgrade the bios on the PC for US $25 (www.esupport.com) to cure stability issues. I also had to spend about 6 hours running Ad Aware SE 1.05, SpyBot Search and Destory 1.0.3 and removing about 99 trojans and viruses. He has a legal version of Norton Antivirus that is up to date and he uses Zone Alarm Pro. After doing all this crap, I figure out the machine doesn't have a firewire card, so I cannot transfer my movies. USB streaming from the camcoder is not lossless...

To summarize, yeah, too bad I can't do all that on this iMac that just works.

I need some rest now...