Apple confirms retail expansion into Canada

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's first Canadian retail store is slated to open in 2005, the company has confirmed.

Apple Computer on Friday officially confirmed plans to expand its retail initiative into Canada, AppleInsider has learned.

In a message to employees and members of the Canadian Apple reseller channel, the company said, "Apple Canada is announcing today that an Apple Branded Retail Store location will be opening in Toronto, mid year 2005."

"Apple currently has ninety-six retail stores in the US, two in Japan, and one opening in London, England this weekend. The stores have been incredibly popular, attracting more than fifty million visitors since the first store was opened in May of 2001."

Apple further stated that its stores "provide great hands-on experience for customers" and that it welcomes the store to Canada as a great complement the existing distribution channels.

AppleInsider was first to report on Apple's plans to enter the Canadian retail market earlier this year. A subsequent AppleInsider report cited internal company documents that showed Apple had initially planned to open up to four retail stores in Canada by the end of the 2004 calendar year, but these plans were apparently pushed back.

Last month, AppleInsider confirmed that the first batch of Canadian Apple stores will begin appearing in shopping malls in and around the Ontario area in 2005. Sources pointed to a leasing agreement between Apple and the Yorkdale Shopping Center located in Toronto, which was said to be near final. Representatives for the Yorkdale Shopping Center later positively confirmed that an Apple store was coming to the mall.

Sources also recently confirmed that the forthcoming Vaughan Mills Mall--Canada's first regional mall since 1990--would also host Apple as one of its tenants.

In Friday's e-mail message announcing the expansion into Canada, Apple did not specify a precise location for the first store, stating only that it would arrive in Toronto (Ontario) by mid-2005.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Sources pointed to a a leasing agreement between Apple and the Yorkdale Shopping Center located in Toronto, which was said to be near final.

You have an extra "a".
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Can't wait. This is a very good development for Canadian users of Apple's products.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Ready to Go
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yorkdale is obviously the most likely location. Situated Toronto, this upscale mall is right of the city's (and province's) main highway, the 401. I think this mall is the perfect fit for an Apple store. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in the Eaton Centre (huge mall in downtown Toronto), but Yorkdale seems more appropriate.

Also Yorkdale is going through a massive expansion, adding many new and large stores set to open in "spring 2005" with a couple having opened this week. There would certainly be enough new space to add a large store similar to the ones in SoHo New York, and Regent Street London. I will upload pictures of the site plan and the current construction in the near future.

As far as Vaughn Mills Mall ?Nope. I just don't see this happening. The mall recently opened, there is no new retail spaces they are working on, and the mall is technically not even in Toronto.

I would really enjoy working at the Yorkdale location. I live 2 minutes away, love my Power Book, and love breaking down the unfortunate misconceptions people have about macs. If not, I'll be number 1 in line on opening day.

?Andrew Escobar
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Yorkdale it is. The location will be where the old Eaton's store was, as that area is being renovated to allow for multiple stores.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Yorkdale it is. The location will be where the old Eaton's store was, as that area is being renovated to allow for multiple stores.

They are adding much more space, than simply renovating the old Easton department store space. They are adding a whole new wing to the mall. From the plans I have seen I think one of the new spaces is more likely.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by andesco

They are adding much more space, than simply renovating the old Easton department store space. They are adding a whole new wing to the mall. From the plans I have seen I think one of the new spaces is more likely.

Like what they did to the "2-below" floor of Eaton's at the Eaton Centre, eh?

I'm absolutely certain that by going to Yorkdale and Vaughn Mills, Apple will be able to hit the right demographic and target market while at the same time minimizing the risk of stepping on the toes of people like CPUsed, Carbon, and the Computer Systems Centre.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    In your face, Manitoba!!! Any of the giant malls in Toronto would be fine. But I wouldn't be surprised if they try to secure to some prime real estate in Yorkville (Yonge & Bloor area) for the Canadian flagship store.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I seriously hope that this means that Apple is opened for more stores in Canada.

In Québec (the province, and the city too), we have 0 mac only or mac-centric retail. Our last one (B.Mac) have closed a few months ago.

Maybe we could have the first french Apple Store in Montréal?