the unofficial college football thread

Comments

• Reply 81 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

This year's BCS rankings are comprised of the two major polls + the various BCS computer rankings. The human-based poll input should prevent weirdness like last year. (I don't remember the other teams records, but being the team that beat SC I'm quite familiar with their record last year. )

That said, someone is always gonna lose out. To them, the old system is preferred since it would rank 'em higher. And since this is changing constantly, nobody will ever be happy.

Overall, I think this years scheme is an improvement.

as long as it remains a beauty pageant, i guarantee you that it will continue to be fucked up.
  • Reply 82 of 232
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

as long as it remains a beauty pageant, i guarantee you that it will continue to be fucked up.

Yes. Unfortunately.

On an unrelated note... I was just day dreaming "what if Cal had beat SC again this year?" I don't know if we'd be #1, but I can assume we'd be ranked higher than SC... at least I'd hope so. (Maybe yes for the normal polls but not so for the BCS?) This is the first year I've really payed attention to all this rankings stuff so I don't have a good sense for how the polls trend.
  • Reply 83 of 232
    Quote:

Yes. Unfortunately.

On an unrelated note... I was just day dreaming "what if Cal had beat SC again this year?" I don't know if we'd be #1, but I can assume we'd be ranked higher than SC... at least I'd hope so. (Maybe yes for the normal polls but not so for the BCS?) This is the first year I've really payed attention to all this rankings stuff so I don't have a good sense for how the polls trend.

my guess would be that had you beaten sc, you guys would be sitting at number 3 and posibly in the same boat auburn and OU are going to be in if they win out. the pisser is that sc seems to be getting a free pass right now, even though they've really only played 2 solid teams and don't have to play in a conference championship game.
  • Reply 84 of 232
    This thread is surprisingly inactive. At the very least I expected Eugene and Applenut to post. After all, it is Big Game week.

Go Bears! Give 'em The Axe!
  • Reply 85 of 232
    looks like spurier is going to take over after holtz leaves sc.
  • Reply 86 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

This thread is surprisingly inactive. At the very least I expected Eugene and Applenut to post. After all, it is Big Game week.

Yea, kind of not as fun when I have work up the wazoo for the week and weekend.

Should be a fun game. First Big Game for me on campus. And our boathouse grand opening gala is Sunday. www.calcrew.com

good weekend, except for the 12 page paper, arch project review monday morning and 8 page draft due for my R1B tues
  • Reply 87 of 232
    Quote:

no shit. this has been a very slow year in terms of "discussion" of college football compared to the last 2 or 3. hell, even grooverat has only stumbled in here once or twice. what gives?
  • Reply 88 of 232
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Hey, I tried to pump up interest in Iowa State's run for the Big XII North, but no one else seemed interested!

J
  • Reply 89 of 232
    Applenut, you going to the Bonfire rally on Friday? I expect this year's to be crazier than most.

I checked out your pictures from the UCLA and other games. I'd hope you're standing in the student section, but some of the photos looked more like they were taken from my area in the young alumni section (my tix were in QQ).
  • Reply 90 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Hey, I tried to pump up interest in Iowa State's run for the Big XII North, but no one else seemed interested!

J

hey jeffboy,

is iowa st a done deal for the north title, or do they need to win out to secure it? the north has been somewhat of a disappointment this year, but i'm glad you guys are in the position to win it.
  • Reply 91 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Applenut, you going to the Bonfire rally on Friday? I expect this year's to be crazier than most.

I checked out your pictures from the UCLA and other games. I'd hope you're standing in the student section, but some of the photos looked more like they were taken from my area in the young alumni section (my tix were in QQ).

yea, i'll be at the bonfire rally as long as I get back from practice in time, which I should. I live in Bowles so its not that far . Last year I did the Rally Com thing and got to toss more wood on the fire which was pretty cool but I felt like my body was melting.

I usually sit in the student section on the left side if you're facing the field. I think that is RR? Some of the pictures I took were from higher up and towards the south end zone just to get a better view of the stadium. For the Big Game I have a student section athlete ticket and 4 reserve tickets. So, I'll probably be in the student section.
  • Reply 92 of 232
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

the north has been somewhat of a disappointment this year, but i'm glad you guys are in the position to win it.

"Somewhat of a disappointment"? I think a "thouroughly humiliating embarrassment" is more accurate.
  • Reply 93 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

"Somewhat of a disappointment"? I think a "thouroughly humiliating embarrassment" is more accurate.

the rat returns. where the hell have you been? besides, i was being nice. perhaps you should try it sometime.
  • Reply 94 of 232

No need to sugarcoat it-when a REBUILDING ISU is in the drivers seat, your division is an Edsel.

And amazingly enough, at 3-3 in the Big XII the Cyclones don't need to win out-the division winner might end up at 4-4!

Still, I'm loving the fact that they have something to play for this late in the season, even if it is just the chance to play cannon fodder to the Sooners and go to a Blue Field Bowl?.

There's a ton of freshman and sophomores on offense (all the skill positions, basically) and meaningful games can only help them get better. Todd Blythe is one of the leading freshmen receivers in the country-he and fellow frosh QB Bret Meyer could end up being quite a combo.

I feel kinda bad for OU (aside from having an awesome team every year) That conference title game's gonna hurt them two years in a row-however comes out of the mess up here's gonna kill their strength of schedule.

J
  • Reply 95 of 232
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

The bar was set 5 years ago...

It's not officially crazy unless it's five stories high and kills a dozen people before the thing has even been lit.
  • Reply 96 of 232
    28 fourth quarter points, back from 23-9 down!

GO KANSAS!

J
  • Reply 97 of 232
    Ohio State 37 Michigan 21

Once again the greatest rivalry in College football goes to the Buckeyes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=243250194

Not that great of a team this year, but nobody is leaving. Ohio State will have a good chance at winning the national title again next year.
  • Reply 98 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The bar was set 5 years ago...

It's not officially crazy unless it's five stories high and kills a dozen people before the thing has even been lit.

considering this was posted within 48 hours of the 5 year anniversary, the timing was quite appropriate...
  • Reply 99 of 232
    Looks like BCS is going our way... for now. Cal should be victorious against Southern Miss., but I'll be sweating the game for sure.

Panorama pictures from Big Game coming soon.

Roll on you Bears!
  • Reply 100 of 232
    Oh, and I almost forgot...

Bye bye, Buddy Teevans. I wish you were there for another year.