Longhorn Vs OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone know of the new features in LH that might rival it against OSX, however I know by the time it's released OSX will be at another version with new tricks up its sleeve as well. Of the pics I've seen of it, its really utilizing the whole transparency whiz bang stuff..more eye candy for Win users....ape-ing OSX obviously. Other stuff Ive seen it's got some pretty cool graphic functions with particular software. But not much else to show..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/p...fo/conceptvid/

I wish we had an option in OSX to turn off some / all of the graphic heavy eye candy functions to make it even zippier than how OS9 runs.( Im running on a B&W G3 300, 1 gb ram) OS 9 flies with 1g of ram let me tell ya..even though I don't really use it any more. I hope Apple just keeps on streamlining OSX with future versions so the unfortunate souls (myself) running on older macs will be happy customers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I can't in good conscious call OS9 "zippy" ever. The OS was ok at running a task or two but it wasn't all that zippy when holding a menu down. That festering piece of feces of an OS was anything but zippy where it really counts.

Longhorn is the most rotten mad cow infested spaghetti code to come out of redmond since Windows ME. I'm not worried about a damn thing. Longhorn flat out won't work in version 1 and the users who are dumb enough to actually buy in will be talking about how the first damn service pack will clear up their issues. The more things change the more they stay the same. tsk tsk
  • Reply 2 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, OS 9 was nice-n-zippy as long as you paid attention to the frontmost app and didn't move out of it too often. OS X makes that tradeoff where other stuff in the background can still work well, but it takes a bit of zip off the frontmost process. Anyway, that's less and less true with each release, though app bloat and old ways of doing things under the hood (you know which apps do this) offset some gains made by the system in this respect.

I'm not clear on what is actually going into Longhorn at this point. I know the whole database-driven filesystem sutff has been ripped out for the most part, and I'm not sure where it lies in terms of the GUI. I think the whole Aero thing is getting cut back as well, but don't quote me on that. I know MS is concentrating on security for the OS, but I don't know if there's anything deep down in the system that's being changed at this point. I believe that .NET frameworks and related network and developer tools are getting a major upgrade. I'm sure we'll also see some Media Player hooks and additional features and services tying in with it and MSN. Longhorn seems to be shaping up to be a more enterprise-oriented release with security as its main selling point.

I'm sure there are others here who have a better track on Longhorn at this point. I kind of tuned out once WinFS was proven as vaporware and the new GUI seemed to be scaled back.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    having been a windows user all my life until now, here are some certainties about longhorn:

It will come out late.

Within the first few weeks, a major security flaw/bug will be discovered, and a patch will be released/

Even the most current hardware will struggle to run it.

It will be incompatible with many programs.

Yes, of course I am biased, but I have factual basis to back my claims up.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanTekGeek

Yes, of course I am biased, but I have factual basis to back my claims up.

Is the evidence known as "experience"?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ive tried to block those horrible "experiances" out of my memory.

its happend from 98 - me, me - xp, xp - xp sp2, and will happen with xp - longhorn
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I can't in good conscious call OS9 "zippy" ever. The OS was ok at running a task or two but it wasn't all that zippy when holding a menu down. That festering piece of feces of an OS was anything but zippy where it really counts.

well what I was referring to,( which you probably know) was responsiveness of menus and scaling windows, scrolling through web pages, opening windows/ folders basically. However OS9 pales, and is a joke, in comparison to X in regards to stability/ crashing & freezing, memory management etc.