Memory foam mattress

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Several weeks ago, my friend bought a mattress after work one Friday. We were on the way to happy hour, so I dropped in the store as well, and lied on the tempur-pedic rig for 20 mins while the deal was made.

But $2000 for a mattress wasn't going to happen. Fortunately, I found some memory foam wholesalers. (memoryfoam.com) I got "the firmest mattress [they] carry," paid less than $600, and the thing is awesome. It's like sleeping in a cloud. . . the hype is legit.

I also have to give a shout out to memoryfoam.com. The staff there is extremely helpful, and they also go the extra mile and post a lot of information online. Plus, free shipping.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I got a queen size, which is quite large. Lots of sprawl room, especially for someone who's used to twins and sofas. The model I got was the cheapest one they had, although I wanted a really firm mattress anyway. Even so, pretty much everything is between 600 and 1000 for the queen size. When natural latex foam is used, the price goes up a bunch, but the crazy thing is that I don't think tempur-pedic actually contains any of the natural latex foam. Supposedly that's the real high-end in foam.

The other awesome thing about foam mattresses is that they don't need box springs. In fact, it is recommended that you don't use them. You do need a flat frame, though, but that can be accomplished in many inexpensive ways.

Elaborating on the feel, there's absolutely no body sag on the firm model, which is good for people like me who sleep on back or chest. But unlike firm regular mattresses, the foam conforms where it needs to conform while giving a lot of support. It takes about 30 seconds to fully settle, although the last 28 seconds of the process are fine details, since the foam responds to body heat somewhat.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

What I don't get is...

Latex is man-made.

Foam is man-made.

So what the hell is "natural latex foam"?

I thought some trees produced natural rubber?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Latex is a natural product. It comes from trees. Natural latex can be used to make foam. The product is called natural latex foam.

The real high-end combos seem to be made out of 6" of Latex foam under 3" of synthetic memory foam (The stuff that you can imprint your hand in). My mattress is 3" of hard foam under 4" of sythetic memory foam.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Sleeping on bed sounds so hot.

I use a buckwheat pillow and love how hard and cool it is. I need a bed like that
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Maybe you need the Chillow Pillow:

http://www.soothsoft.com/chillow.htm
  • Reply 6 of 17
    only problem is that the bed seals in heat like no other mother trucker. It does feel very nice, but when you live somewhere like in Arizona with temps in the summer averaging 110 degrees, those things are very uncomfortable at night. Sweaty and hot, even with the a/c and fans on.

could always go with the sub 100,000 dollar bed oprah has. lol with it's 1 million springs.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I live in Florida, and it gets quite hot here. THe weather is extremely humid, and it's even more oppressive than the DC weather I was raised into. Currently, it's more or less room temperature outside, but it gets very hot in the summer.

I was never bothered by the heat. In fact, I sleep on my stomach because I get cold any way else, especially when the temperature is less than 80 degrees F. I don't think I've ever flipped my pillow , and growing up, my dad was always hot at night, so I remember sleeping with a down comforter all year round. It's a combination of low-metabolism and veins close to the skin. I guess that's what makes me a damn good long-distance runner.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I got a queen size, which is quite large. Lots of sprawl room,

Cut to the chase, how's it for hammerin' ?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Cut to the chase, how's it for hammerin' ?

Wouldn't know. Some of my friends think it would take some time getting used to, since there's no spring-action. But what's for sure is that the person on the bottom would be very comfortable.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    i have a memory foam pillow, it'sd sooo much better than a normal pillow
  • Reply 11 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Those beds seem like they would be too hot.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i have a memory foam pillow, it'sd sooo much better than a normal pillow

How much memory do these things have and is it DDR?

Seriously, what does "memory" mean. Are these those things that keep the shape of your head?

That would drive me nuts since I toss and turn a lot.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Seriously, what does "memory" mean. Are these those things that keep the shape of your head? That would drive me nuts since I toss and turn a lot.

They keep the shape for only a short time after the heat and pressure of your body has been taken off. What's more important is that they 'give way' under high pressure points while still supporting low pressure areas, equalising the pressure on different parts of your body.

If you believe the hype then this actually prevents you from tossing and turning since your body isn't as uncomfortable remaining in one position leading to a better nights rest.