MWSF - New Keyboard/Mouse? (speculation)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think that it can readily be expected that we'll see new Powermacs at MWSF, but what about the peripherals to go with them? Namely a new keyboard and mouse. I think it is time, and would be surprised, now that the displays have been up to speed for 6 months, to see them continue with the white keyboard/mouse. perhaps they will finally role out a Pro keyboard.mouse that is Pro. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

I think that it can readily be expected that we'll see new Powermacs at MWSF, but what about the peripherals to go with them? Namely a new keyboard and mouse. I think it is time, and would be surprised, now that the displays have been up to speed for 6 months, to see them continue with the white keyboard/mouse. perhaps they will finally role out a Pro keyboard.mouse that is Pro. Thoughts?

i think it can be readily expected that this thread is among the worst ever. there won't be new powermac's and there is absolutley no need to update keyboards and mice. if you have a problem with apple's keyboard and mouse, browse through the millions of other ones that other companies offer.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    You wanna pro keyboard? Try the Matias Tactile Pro:

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php

It's $79 at Small Dog Electronics.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gfeier

You wanna pro keyboard? Try the Matias Tactile Pro:

If that's like the original Apple Extended Keyboard, that was the noisiest keyboard I ever used. I'd much prefer a PowerBook-like keyboard with scissor-key action. Have considered buying the Ice Key from MacAlly.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i think it can be readily expected that this thread is among the worst ever. there won't be new powermac's and there is absolutley no need to update keyboards and mice. if you have a problem with apple's keyboard and mouse, browse through the millions of other ones that other companies offer.

Yes, there are tons of keyboards/mice from other companies, but I am talking about from Apple. They are both due for an update, and all I asked for were folks opinions/thoughts on the current line, and a potential AL line. Apple has kept a uniform product line from head-to-toe in design for years, so why should they stop now. The current keyboard and mouse look good next to and iMac/iBook/eMac, but look out of place with the Power line. As such I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce new keyboard/mouse when they announce 3.0 machines, which would be a good time to role out DL drives and the x800 cards.

I am aware of other companies keyboard/mouse offerings, I am not complaining about the current line-up from Apple, I just think they are due for an update. As for the Powermac, the 2.5 seems stop gap, so I don't see it remaining at the top much longer.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

If that's like the original Apple Extended Keyboard, that was the noisiest keyboard I ever used. I'd much prefer a PowerBook-like keyboard with scissor-key action. Have considered buying the Ice Key from MacAlly.

No, the Matias is much, MUCH louder (we still use an extended on one of the old Macs). It doesn't bother me at all - I like the feedback, both tactile and aural. I guess a room full of them would be a problem, though.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gfeier

No, the Matias is much, MUCH louder (we still use an extended on one of the old Macs). It doesn't bother me at all - I like the feedback, both tactile and aural. I guess a room full of them would be a problem, though.

Hmm, ok, to each his/her own. I'm not really into clickity clackity. I'd rather listen to music, or silence.

As for the current Apple Keyboard, since it's not adjustable, tilt-wise, I think Apple should make a better one. I'm not sure how they'd make it look better with the tower and PB hardware. I think an aluminum keyboard might look tacky.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Yes, there are tons of keyboards/mice from other companies, but I am talking about from Apple. They are both due for an update, and all I asked for were folks opinions/thoughts on the current line, and a potential AL line. Apple has kept a uniform product line from head-to-toe in design for years, so why should they stop now. The current keyboard and mouse look good next to and iMac/iBook/eMac, but look out of place with the Power line. As such I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce new keyboard/mouse when they announce 3.0 machines, which would be a good time to role out DL drives and the x800 cards.

I am aware of other companies keyboard/mouse offerings, I am not complaining about the current line-up from Apple, I just think they are due for an update. As for the Powermac, the 2.5 seems stop gap, so I don't see it remaining at the top much longer.

1st of all, do you have a G5 with the white apple keyboards? i thought it would look bad too, but it doesnt. the pictures make the colors look drastically different, but when any kind of light hits the new G5s and cinema displays, there are white tones in them. if you want an apple keyboard, get an apple keyboard. if apple doesnt provide a satisfactory product for you, buy from someone else. its that simple.

and as far as the dual 2.5 being at the top, come over to my place and you can see how f***in fast it is. if youre gonna bitch about apple not having fast machines, spend some money and see for yourself. many would argue that the dual 2.5 was never at the top to begin with--it all depends on what you do with a computer. i do tons of motion graphics and video work, and the dual 2.5 G5 gets the job done faster than any PC or Mac i've used before. so if you somehow do more (processor-) demanding work than video, then maybe you should consider a PC if the G5 isn't quick enough. i'm not stopping you.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    From the TidBITS review of the Matias keyboard which is linked to from Matias' site:

Quote:

Speaking of special keys, the volume and Eject keys require a special driver that Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar users must install; a CD-ROM contains the necessary installer.

This just strikes me as weird. Why would you need a special driver? Why can't the keyboard just send the same signal that the eject key on Apple's keyboards sends? That's unacceptable considering that Apple's current machines don't have hardware eject buttons on the CD tray.

Or by referring to Jaguar, is the review saying that Panther doesn't need this driver, and only older versions of OS X do?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I am very happy with the current Apple keyboard and mouse. The keyboard is one of the best to type with, and I like the audible feedback I get.

That being said, perhaps they should think about offering a "Pro" mouse with 6+ buttons, scroll wheel and lots of other functions. This would be sold separately.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm going to make a request here.

"Pro" mouse and keyboard tells me nothing. There are pros who use the current Apple offerings, and pros who don't. Likewise with consumers.

So please drop the code word and spell out what you would like, and why Apple should make it universal and standard across their lines (because, face it, that's what they're doing). I'm asking this partly so that the discussion can be substantive, and partly because it will bring forth the point that if you ask two pros, you'll get three opinions.

In the case of a specialized keyboard or a multi-button mouse, what would they gain by adding one more product to a crowded field, and competing directly with their peripherals vendors? If you're content to buy a 6+ button mouse, sold separately, Logitech has just the thing for you right now. This kind of peripheral choice was exactly why Apple pushed USB so hard, and now that their push succeeded you want Apple to go back to trying to make everything themselves?

The only thing I miss on the current Apple peripherals is height adjustability. I prefer the keyboard flat. But I'm happy enough with it otherwise that I haven't replaced it.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    I think it wouldn't hurt to make some Alminum-ish keybord for the Power- line
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

1st of all, do you have a G5 with the white apple keyboards? i thought it would look bad too, but it doesnt. the pictures make the colors look drastically different, but when any kind of light hits the new G5s and cinema displays, there are white tones in them. if you want an apple keyboard, get an apple keyboard. if apple doesnt provide a satisfactory product for you, buy from someone else. its that simple.

and as far as the dual 2.5 being at the top, come over to my place and you can see how f***in fast it is. if youre gonna bitch about apple not having fast machines, spend some money and see for yourself. many would argue that the dual 2.5 was never at the top to begin with--it all depends on what you do with a computer. i do tons of motion graphics and video work, and the dual 2.5 G5 gets the job done faster than any PC or Mac i've used before. so if you somehow do more (processor-) demanding work than video, then maybe you should consider a PC if the G5 isn't quick enough. i'm not stopping you.

What???? Do you read before you respond?

Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I'm going to make a request here.

"Pro" mouse and keyboard tells me nothing. There are pros who use the current Apple offerings, and pros who don't. Likewise with consumers.

So please drop the code word and spell out what you would like, and why Apple should make it universal and standard across their lines (because, face it, that's what they're doing). I'm asking this partly so that the discussion can be substantive, and partly because it will bring forth the point that if you ask two pros, you'll get three opinions.

In the case of a specialized keyboard or a multi-button mouse, what would they gain by adding one more product to a crowded field, and competing directly with their peripherals vendors? If you're content to buy a 6+ button mouse, sold separately, Logitech has just the thing for you right now. This kind of peripheral choice was exactly why Apple pushed USB so hard, and now that their push succeeded you want Apple to go back to trying to make everything themselves?

The only thing I miss on the current Apple peripherals is height adjustability. I prefer the keyboard flat. But I'm happy enough with it otherwise that I haven't replaced it.

Ok, the current keyboard/mouse matches all i-Stuff. The white and clear looks good next to all of it. The current keyboard/mouse does not match the power line, meaning it has no AL accents that would allow it to. When I say "pro" I mean something that simply goes with the Pro line of hardware and software. So that would be PowerBooks, PowerMacs, the Production Suite as a quick overview. The PowerBooks have great keyboards with a really nice look to them, and it would make sense to make a full format keyboard/mouse for the PowerMacs in the same stylistic vein. Also, anyone that has used the ProApps knows that at least 2 buttons makes a world of difference in pace and accuracy. yes you can ctrl+click, but it is still slower than right-click. So 2 button + scroll wheel would be nice at least. But I am not even asking for these additionals features, it just seems to me, that the Power line should have a keyboard that matches it. Simple as that. The white keyboard looks fine, just as the black keyboard in front of mine does, but neither was designed to go with and complement the AL enclosures. January seems like the appropriate time for a switch.

You'll always have consumers that buy more than they need, and pros that do more with less, but the Apple line-up is clearly divided into a "pro" class and a consumer class. You have the iApps, which come free and get your feet wet in 5 different media and run well on the i line of computers; and the Pro Apps with Pro level prices and robust features that demand the power of the Power line. So...a keyboard and mouse that go with the Power equipment makes sense, and seems just about due since the AL displays have been readily available for a couple of months now.

The original intent of my post was to spark discussion about a keyboard/mouse that matches (read: is designed specifically to match the PowerBook and PowerMac) the Power line of hardware; with the occasional drift into feature request, but that's it. I am not attacking the current keyboard and mouse for their usability, I am only bringing up a suject that was hot about a year and half ago, but has since died out, as I think that now would be a good time for a new keyboard/mouse from Apple that goes with the PowerMac, PowerBook, and AL displays. I'm sorry, but a white keyboard with a clear plastic backing that was orginally released with an eMac is not what i would call being designed to match the AL products.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Well it'd be nice if my $3,000+ computer had a *decent* keyboard and mouse.

I mean, just a thought :P

Maybe have the option of a logitech mouse and keyboard?

All this bitching about "oh you can just buy it aftermarket"... well jesus christ, how much extra *bonus* cost is there to be expected in a computer that costs as much as my car and devalues even faster?!@

Quote:

Yes 20%

No 32%

No, but there should be 48%

I find this hilarious, on macrumors it'd be 99% yes and almost all the posts would be going off about how Apple's going to repackage the mx1000 and add touchscreens

The argument would be over the battery life in the wireless mouse (which would be standard, of course).
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Considering Apple's focus on aesthetics I would think that they would release a matching keyboard and mouse for the new displays and Power Macs.

I use an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse with my Powerbook, Even though I also have a Griffen PowerMate on my desk's keyboard tray to make up for the lack of a scroll wheel, I often resort to my IBM "mini mouse" (which is also plugged into my Powerbook's USB port) for scrolling and right clicking.

I find the Apple mouse to be far superior in general feel and "glide" aspects. (glide being the smoothness of movement), but the lack of a scroll wheel and second click option, keeps it from being a complete solution.

Keeping the current design and form of the Apple mouse, while making it more useful by using the rocking motion to "back click" as the second mouse button (on a no button mouse!), and adding a nice feeling scroll wheel (illuminated like my full size IBM mouse) would be perfect.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

What???? Do you read before you respond?

yes, i addressed two of the points that he presented.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Ok, the current keyboard/mouse matches all i-Stuff. The white and clear looks good next to all of it. The current keyboard/mouse does not match the power line, meaning it has no AL accents that would allow it to.

Since the release of the new aluminium cinema displays - Apple's pro hardware matches its white mouse and keyboard just fine. You see, the PowerMac G5 may not drape itself in any other color than the aluminium one, and the mouse and keyboards may not wear any other color than white, but the new displays carries both these colors, binding them together to form a wholeness of sorts. The main body of the displays are aluminium, but the sides, where the power- and illumination-buttons reside are actually white plastic - just like the keyboard and mouse. I think this is pretty nice.

Now, the input that is the keyboard and mice, matches the input controls that resides on the new line of displays. And the main body of the displays matches the beautiful casing that is the G5 PowerMac. Splendid!
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Somehow I do not see new keyboards or mice coming out in the near future. Not that they would be unwelcome. Currently, Apple is on an aluminum kick. The company has also been fond of matching aluminum with white. Take the new cinema Display for example. The bezel is aluminum, but the sides are white plastic. I must say that it is a nice look as well.

Aluminum keyboards would not look that great with the PowerMac or even Powerbook. The white gives it that something extra that creates a very classy posh look.

That said, if Apple were to come out with new keyboards and mice, I would be interested to see the design. Apple knows design, that is for sure. If Apple wants to make Aluminum keyboards, they would look at least as good as the current offering.

I do hope that they change the keys slightly. Teh current keyboard is not the easiest to type quickly on, but the keys have that perfct feel to them. the Apple mouse on the other hand is so elegant and a dream to use, that I hope they never change the mechanics of it.

If there is an all new Apple hardware release, then there may be a possibility of a new input device, but as of right now, I cannot see it happening.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    IMO, there will be a new keyboard + mouse sometime by WWDC, when new (and I mean, *new*, not only small upgrade) will come out.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    No, but there should be a 2 button mouse with scroll!
  • Reply 20 of 34
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

...I find this hilarious, on macrumors it'd be 99% yes and almost all the posts would be going off about how Apple's going to repackage the mx1000 and add touchscreens \\...

Probably so. I think AI readers tend to be a little more realistic.

I'm concerned that alum keys would be hard to read and would get dirty. Besides, wouldn't they be painted, and eventually start to peel? Have any PB users had peeling keys?

I would LOVE the lighted feature. I think I'd buy the keyboard just for that. I like to keep the room and monitor dark to reduce eyestrain. Mousewise, I use a logitech marble mouse optical trackball, nothing can beat it for accuracy (Kensington has a nice optical trackball too - make sure you get optical - mech trackballs are terrible).