The official "Stuff You Can't Do On The Mac" thread

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

I spent three days of my vacation troubleshooting my dad's PC. Windows XP service pack 2 uses ACPI 2.0 and I had to upgrade the bios on the PC for US $25 (www.esupport.com) to cure stability issues. I also had to spend about 6 hours running Ad Aware SE 1.05, SpyBot Search and Destory 1.0.3 and removing about 99 trojans and viruses. He has a legal version of Norton Antivirus that is up to date and he uses Zone Alarm Pro. After doing all this crap, I figure out the machine doesn't have a firewire card, so I cannot transfer my movies. USB streaming from the camcoder is not lossless...

To summarize, yeah, too bad I can't do all that on this iMac that just works.

I need some rest now...

6HRS TO RUN spybot and Adaware? sounds like your dad needed a defrag or a total reformat-reinstall which would take me in most cases 4 hrs (includeing installing updateing and configureing av, fw, office, mozilla-firefox and any other app he needed.)
  • Reply 42 of 56
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wow. You know how long it takes me to purge my system of trojans, worms, viruses, spyware and other crap?

About the two seconds it takes to remember I don't have to. *grin*
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wow. You know how long it takes me to purge my system of trojans, worms, viruses, spyware and other crap?

About the two seconds it takes to remember I don't have to. *grin*

I will be in that position soon...if I can keep my job past Christmas/newyear (retail job security this time of year blows...)
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

6HRS TO RUN spybot and Adaware? sounds like your dad needed a defrag or a total reformat-reinstall which would take me in most cases 4 hrs (includeing installing updateing and configureing av, fw, office, mozilla-firefox and any other app he needed.)

Yes, he uses a 450 P2 dinosaur (5 years old = which would mean 20 years ? in Macintosh terms). He also downloads and installs stuff from the internet a lot and has purchased online software making a clean format and install a royal pain in the neck. He is on a dial up connection. For some reason I had to run Spybot 4 times (run at boot time) to get it to work right. After which I had to go through the same with Adaware.

It was a riot to look in the system log to see the ACPI subsystem post a message saying the BIOS is doing something illegal. It was even more painful to find a boot diskette to flash the BIOS. For 25$ you would think they would provide disk-less bios updates...

I am thinking of building a PC gaming system to play Everquest 2 and WoW. So I am sure there will be more fun things to learn which I can't do on the Mac.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

I don't understand, with something like wedding photos, why would you not, along with everything, get a copy of the files right off the camera? why does he have the right to lock down your memories? maybe it is just me but I would want the .raw/.tiffs that came right off the camera - full res and uncompressed...Am i nuts?

In our case, copyright is transferred to us, along with CD's full of the high-res originals, two years after the wedding. Some photographers make you pay to buy the negatives back from them (or digital equivalent); in any case, some sort of arrangement like that is pretty standard. None we interviewed offered the option of getting the negatives immediately.

One of the ways these guys make a living is to retain the exclusive right to produce prints (not to mention the albums), at least for a while after the wedding. The digital proofs we got are low-res, so they're fine for computer viewing, but not an archival record of the wedding.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Just curious. When were you hired? As long as you aren't employed on a "seasonal" or "temp" basis, your job should remain very secure. I worked in retail for years and I never saw a regular employee lose their job during or after the holidays, unless they missed work, were poor workers or were caught stealing. That said, it's sometimes sad to see the temp staff go, but very good temp staff are almost always held on.

Maybe the situation now is different in the poor Bush economy. Maybe turnover isn't as high and workers are better, making competition more difficult. I was in retail during the early Clinton years and it was very easy to outperform all of the other lazy or inefficient employees.

We keep the top proformers so if some seasonal people do better sales wise than me - even at another location in town I could be gone...and there is NOBODY at my store who is lazy or inefficiant.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

We keep the top proformers so if some seasonal people do better sales wise than me - even at another location in town I could be gone...and there is NOBODY at my store who is lazy or inefficiant.

LOL i love the lazy and inefficiant comment, are you trying to tell us something about yourself?
  • Reply 48 of 56
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Not to get back on topic or anything, but I like how Explrer's minimized windows show you the % progress of downloads without having to maximize. This would be great for tabs.

--B
  • Reply 49 of 56
    I recently ran across videos that were split on a PC using something called Gsplit. Normally split media files are fairly simple to handle on a Mac. However, this new player splits files into some proprietary format. The files can only be re-joined and played with their player. Being free, my PC friends have started usng it exclusively, leaving the Mac users out in the cold.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I can't make waffles in my Powerbook without getting batter stuck in-between the keys.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    My PetPeeves:

1.) Forex trading station software is only available for PCs. You would think a place like refco.com, with 'billions in assets', could hire a lowly programmer to port a version to Mac? At least I can use VPC to run the trade station.

2.) Web conferencing software. PC only. One provider is currently testing a Mac beta (talkingcommunities.com). I can't get full features in VPC; some software doesn't work at all in VPC, some I get no sound, but can text message.

Sigh!
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacHen

My PetPeeves:

1.) Forex trading station software is only available for PCs. You would think a place like refco.com, with 'billions in assets', could hire a lowly programmer to port a version to Mac? At least I can use VPC to run the trade station.

2.) Web conferencing software. PC only. One provider is currently testing a Mac beta (talkingcommunities.com). I can't get full features in VPC; some software doesn't work at all in VPC, some I get no sound, but can text message.

Use iChat, and convince them to use AIM 5.5 or higher. Voila.

Proprietary vidchat solutions are *idiotic* anymore. I'm surprised that people still manage to make money at it.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    I'm a switcher (2 years now!) and here is one thing that's always felt awkward to me since I usually keep many windows open at the same time, some of which are full-screen:

On Windows, I can drag an element, bring it to the taskbar, hover on a task and its windows will pop up, allowing me to drop it right where I want in the application's window.

On Mac OS X, when I drag en element over an app icon in the Dock, nothing happens. If I drop it on the proper app, sometimes it will do something like opening the element in a new window, sometimes it won't do anything with it at all.

I have found a workaround to this: I can drag something, bring it to my Exposé hot corner, then bring it over the window I'm interested in, which will pop up after a fraction of a second, and then I can drop that something just where I want in the window.

I'm sure there must be a better way to do this, so if anyone could tell me, I would be glad to know.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    You can trigger Expose with a keystroke. Drag, key, drop. That's how I do it at least.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

If I drop it on the proper app, sometimes it will do something like opening the element in a new window, sometimes it won't do anything with it at all.

Neat tip, you can force an app to open a file you've dragged onto its Dock icon by holding down cmd-opt while you do it. So, for example, if you have PDFBrowser plug-in, you can force Safari to open a PDF. Or force Excel to open a tab-delimited text file.

To answer your actual question, though, can't you copy-and-paste most elements, if it's too awkward to drag-and-drop?