GPU, CPU, or HD using Expose?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I searched this out in this forum, and found a few results, but I was going to see if anyone had any new insight on the phenomenon. I have a dulie 1.8 with 1.25GB and an nvidia 5200. When I use expose, i hear a slight click/whir that is higher pitched then the hard disk, but I dont know where it is coming from. Some say its the gpu making noise-but I would like to know how that is possible. Any insight at all would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by blkrt10

I searched this out in this forum, and found a few results, but I was going to see if anyone had any new insight on the phenomenon. I have a dulie 1.8 with 1.25GB and an nvidia 5200. When I use expose, i hear a slight click/whir that is higher pitched then the hard disk, but I dont know where it is coming from. Some say its the gpu making noise-but I would like to know how that is possible. Any insight at all would be great.

Thanks

its the gpu. i dunno what exacly it is inside of there, but it definitley comes from the graphics card. i forst noticed the click after 10.3.3.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The first generation G5's have a noisy Power supply that can emit a slight high pitch squeal when doing cretin tasks. It is common, but does not pose a risk to your computer. As with the dock, my G5 also squeals with other tasks, not necessarily video related.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I have a similar problem with my G5... I mean, it's not a problem, just a thing that the computer does. Here's the interesting thing- if you install the Developer Tools and CHUD, then go to the processor system preference, you get an option to turn off "nap" for the processor. Once nap is turned off, it doesn't make the noise anymore. There is an article about this on xlr8yourmac.com .

My computer also emits a soft beeping noise every second when processor performance is turned on "high." Annoying as heck to someone with sensitive ears. It also goes away with nap turned off.