Nintendo DS Preorder Check-in

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I just hate the notion of today's gamers saying better graphics/more powerful system = better games.

YES! Now with PSP I can play the same game types I've been playing for the past 6 years (whenever the PSone came out). How exciting is that?

What about innovative gameplay? Or would you guys rather just play the same games over and over with better graphics?

p.s. The mic is being used in "Feel the Magic: XY XX (or whatever its called)".

I'm going to ignore D3ct from now on because he's simply spreading FUD and trolling, but tacojohn, you are behaving truly ignorant. You seem stuck on the false premise of the PSP being a portable PSOne (which is just a repackaged PlayStation). It is not. It is much closer to and perhaps computationally capable than the PlayStation 2, which still outsells the GameCube and XBox to this day.

Using a stylus or thumb to target enemies in Metroid DS is no more innovative than using a Light Zapper to shoot ducks or make Gumshoe float through the air. The touchscreen provides zero tactile feedback, only visual.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Ok, so it is a portable way to play games you've been playing for the last 4 years, not the last 6 (psone, so actually ~10).

The movie and music thing is a gimmick that won't take off. It's going to be about the games on the PSP and it might very well deliver and be great. I have no idea.

Sure, the dual-screen w/ one touch screen is a gimmick but so what? It's a useful, optional, built-in gimmick (unlike "Watch Shrek 2 on your little handheld! (Be sure to pack an extra battery or 4!"). You can play all the Gameboy Advance games (this is what sold me on the DS) so you are walking in to launch with a massive library of market-tested games.

The PSP will do very well, at the very least, because it will have the name "Playstation" on it. And if the games turn out to be great then it will do even better.

You might not be a fanboy, Eugene, but there are millions of fanboys out there for Sony (just as there are for Nintendo, only more than Nintendo). Pardon the defensive Nintendo fanboy for mistaking you for one.

Also, the store with my pre-ordered DS opens in 3 minutes, I'm going to go take a shower and pick it up.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Picked up my DS this afternoon along with Mario 64 DS.

Its so cool! The touch screen actually works quite well as an "analog" control for the game (make sure you're using the thumb strap though).

The Metroid Prime: Hunters demo is cool. I hope that there is a single player campaign on it 'cause not many people around have DS's right now. Maybe they'll make it on-line...

Check out the DS on my moblog...

tacojohn's moblog

Peace.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Ok, so it is a portable way to play games you've been playing for the last 4 years, not the last 6 (psone, so actually ~10).

The PS2 is still going strong and holding its own against the current generation GC and XBox, so while it's a 4 year old system, it's still current. On the other hand, the N64 is literally 9 years old.

The only thing 'revolutionary' about the DS is the touchscreen. If not for that I would consider the two screens far less flexible than the one huge screen on the PSP. At least wth the PSP you have the option of a single wide field of view without a half inch of separation. You can also split screen in software. The only reason why Nintendo opted for two screens is to pay homage to the old Nintendo Game & Watch handhelds.

No amount of gameplay innovation is going to help Nintendo overcome the limitations of cartridges and its underpowered hardware.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    first of all id like to tell you all to go to IGN.com, a company i hate for giving games unfair reviews, but go to the nintendo ds section and read the reviews for mario ds. it got an 8.9! and readers give it a 9.4+

the game is not a port, the nintendo ds works great with the d-pad and with the touch screen. the touch screen is not a gimmick as you can see people r saying its incredible even for that one launch game. 2 screens are not a gimmick and the size of the psp screen doesnt even come close to being the size of the ds screens. the wide screen is a gimmick, video games were NEVER ment for widescreen.

the psp is a DOWNGRADED ps2, and will NEVER advance in performance because it has a flaw: the more you push out of it the littler battery life you have. again the psp is already at its limit while the ds is JUST starting and ALREADY ACHIEVING DREAMCAST GRAPHICS. not n64 graphics.

the playstation UMD format is not ONLY a disc but a DISC within a cartridge With moving parts. the nintendo ds cart is HALF the size of a GBA cartridge. whats cheaper 2 tiny pieces of plastic surrounding a tiny chip? or a disc within a bigger cartridge with moving parts? exactly.

the DS games will cost NO MORE than 35 dollars, EVER. psp discs will cost NO LESS than 45 dollars, EVER. also keep in mind the psp will cost no less then 190 dollars u.s. (and thats not counting the memory cards and 50 dollar games you HAVE to buy to play it, while the ds needs neither a memory card or a game, and you can still play any game via wireless data transfer)

the cart has no limitation when compared to the psp disc, the psp disc can hold more than 1gigabyte, while the ds can hold 128 gigabit (there will still be bigger gigabit cards coming out if needed) the psp gets more loading time, the ds gets NO loading time And can transfer game data wirelessly so friends (up to 32 proven so far) nintendo ds's can play off ONE game cart (wether it be levels, multiplayer, or whatever): each have their trade off, sony wanted to give you something a little prettier and nintendo wanted to give you something more efficient with more options and capabilities. point blank

ds games are ALREADy looking dreamcast quality, not to mention the sound quality is being praised by everyone (virtual surround sound) and these are just the games that were under development before the system was even complete. wait till nintendo gets some practice runs, sony stands No chance.

i dont care how long youve been a fanboy of nintendo, im not a fanboy nore have i ever been a fanboy of anything, i call things how i see them, and you are just spreading lies to save face, like all cowards do.

i understand what u ment when you said when you said your a fan-BOI, it means you're a homosexual right? isnt that what people who use boi refer to it as? now you think your opinion counts more than anyone elses? get a life kid, your facts and your logic is horridly flawed. plus nintendo spent a good amount of time on mario ds, and reviews show how great this game really is.

in addition the ds comes with microphone wifi, multiplayer, stylus, metroid game, pictochat software, revolutionary touch screen, 2 screens,Virtual surround sound, no memory card usage, no loading times, more battery life, and by the time the psp comes out, it will have jumped down to around NO MORE than 120 dollars, PLUS the nintendo ds has more 3rd party support, and almost twice the size of games being developed. sony will Not win with the psp, period.

now go fan your ass, boi, you just got burned, and not the burn you get with your boyfriend. and to anyone else who thinks im an idiot or whatever you want to say, you can go to hell too. i never insulted anyone i simply stated FACTS. all you morons can do is give your little immature opinions, so i have no reason to restrain myself against your rude and childish remarks.

get a life eugene, you're the only one trolling im giving facts while your crying like a little girl and making up lies to make your prefered system seem better
  • Reply 26 of 36
    "128 gigabit"

I rest my case.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

"128 gigabit"

I rest my case.

most n64 games were 6 to 32 gigabits with only one ever reaching 60. 128 gigabits is more than you think, plus it can still go up to 256 gigabits, PLUS you can have a gba cart in at the same time to add even more "space".

PLUS they chose this for No loading times, and the ability to transfer game data wirelessly ending in a huge lan party of everyone multiplayer gaming or even co op gaming or even playing their own levels by themself, with only one person having the cart

no psp game will ever come close to even getting at the 1gb mark, most psx games were under 700mb.

so what exactly is the case you rested now? the uneducated case right? i see
  • Reply 28 of 36
    128 Gigabits is 16 Gigabytes. 16 Gigabytes in non-volatile memory will cost you, the consumer, well over $2500.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    The DS looks pretty cool. It is kind of like a futuristic laptop with a graphical touchpad. I like the idea of maps for RPGs on display the whole time, or even a Final fantasy battle menu adn /or world map visible so that you don't have to load up menu layers over the gameplay. I do think that the top screen should be a little bit wider, but it still looks good. The battery life is good and it has a ton of developer support. If the graphics are anywhere near as good as N64, then this thing is a winner (so far, the graphics have been at least as good - as well as can be represented on a small screen).

A quote from gamespot.com regarding the DS graphics that puts them somewhere in between N64 and Gamecube (more like Dreamcast):

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

"The Pikachu demo offered a virtual Pikachu to love or abuse with your stylus. The hopelessly peppy critter alternated between the two screens. You're only able to interact with him when he's on the lower screen. In addition to following his whims, you'll see onscreen text will let you know when he wants some attention. You can also call up a menu that lets you play with him in a variety of ways. You can use musical instruments, such as a xylophone, or even draw (well trace, really) over him with the stylus. The graphics in the demo surpassed their nearest cousin, the Pikachu in Nintendo 64's Hey You Pikachu!, but they weren't quite as crisp as the Pikachu in the GameCube's Pokémon Channel."

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

The only problem with the N64 was the limited size of cartridge memory which led to a lack of developer support. The graphics were outstainding. I still remember the Turok series and the Quarterback Club games. Those games even looked good compared to many Dreamcast and PS2 games, although there is an obvious polygon ocunt differential(yes, I am serious - search and look at them. I could not believe the graphics then).

Nintendo hardware always sports top notch graphics, innovation and best in class reliability. The same cannot be said for Sony (or Microsoft).

The PSP mightcome out with slightly superior graphics (the only Sony system in history to do this), but quality of the system is something I will wait and see about. Already, the button desing looks like trouble and from the looks of it, it is the same Sony cheap manufacturing. I like Sonys style and design, but speaking from experience, they do not build things to last. My PS overheated and broke. My PS2 has trouble reading discs and both consoles had inferior graphical capabilities to the Nintendo offerings.

In short, this i how the the DS and PSP stack up:

Nintendo DS:

-Attractive futuristic design

-easy to pick up and play

-Innovative dual screen gameplay

-rock solid reliability history

-awesome mobile graphics

-good battery life

-great additional features

-large intellectual property from which to derive games in addition to massive third party support.

Sony PSP

-strange form factor to play games with, but looks cool

-Cooler design than DS

-widescreen

-poor hardware reliability history

-awesome mobile graphics (superior to DS on some games)

-unknown battery life

-decent additional features

-almost entirely dependant on third party support.

Both systems will be winners in their own right, bu when compared together, the DS makes more sense. I hope the PSP breaks the mold of poor hardware on sonys part, but we will have to wait and see. right now, I would rather have the DS. Time will tell.

Now it is hig capacity cartridges vs. UMD. UMD immediatey seems doomed to failure. It will always be a proprietary media for Sony products, ala memory stick. As far as movies and such coming out, I don't think that will catch on. A new blue lser DVD standard is being hammered out and that will be the major direction for movies. there will be a few sony Pictures UMDs, but that will be it.

the media will be be pro and con. it will provide a cool=looking disc, but consume power and create a more expensive machine.

Ninitendos cartridge is at a super high capacity and has no cons at the moment other than being more expensive to produce, but barely so. The developers will not have to suffer the "cartridge tax" they did with the N64. the games will be priced competitivley and so the consumer does not see the cost here. The pros are numerous: anywhere from load times to antipiracy to power efficiency to media durability (and in a handheld, that is an improtant factor).

Ah, enough of this writing. Another saga in videogames is about to begin and it will be fun in and of itself just watching it take shape.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

Ah, enough of this writing. Another saga in videogames is about to begin and it will be fun in and of itself just watching it take shape.

And this is the big thing really, you will always get lovers of one manufacturer or another, some peeps have lotsa dif systems .. In the end its the games and gameplay that make the real winner..

In portables Nintendo has slaughtered every challenger so far, they wont give this up easily, it should bring the best out of everyone.

Happy gaming, cause thats the important bit.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Eugene:

I am very surprised you will say the PSP is just as powerful as the PS2 graphics-wise without any hint of skepticism. I'm not saying it isn't the case, but it certainly seems out-of-character for you.

Quote:

The PS2 is still going strong and holding its own against the current generation GC and XBox, so while it's a 4 year old system, it's still current. On the other hand, the N64 is literally 9 years old.

And what have we really gained in those 9 years? Smoother corners?

I have been playing Mario 64 DS and the water is just fine. It's not Half-Life 2, but it doesn't make me think "How 9 years ago!", either.

Quote:

The only thing 'revolutionary' about the DS is the touchscreen. If not for that I would consider the two screens far less flexible than the one huge screen on the PSP. At least wth the PSP you have the option of a single wide field of view without a half inch of separation. You can also split screen in software.

There definitely is a problem watching both DS screens at once, but I haven't seen anything designed to require that yet.

Quote:

No amount of gameplay innovation is going to help Nintendo overcome the limitations of cartridges and its underpowered hardware.

All I know is that I am having a lot of fun with my DS. I don't really care what's powering it.

D3ct:

You make many solid points, but your delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

You catch more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar.

Quote:

the wide screen is a gimmick, video games were NEVER ment for widescreen.

I do not understand what that last part means. Wide-screen sounds great to me. More screen-real estate can never be a bad thing until you literally move outside of the viewer's field of vision.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Eugene:

I am very surprised you will say the PSP is just as powerful as the PS2 graphics-wise without any hint of skepticism. I'm not saying it isn't the case, but it certainly seems out-of-character for you.

I find it impossible to defend Nintendo this time around. I knew the N64 was doomed to fall to either the Saturn or the PlayStation 2, but I wasn't sure which. It was just obvious. The DS brings back those feelings.

At first I was wondering why Nintendo isn't marketing the DS as a GameBoy. I think I know why now. They don't want to risk sullying the name's track record with a doomed product. I'll bet Nintendo is secretly working on a second portable which could be released by next Christmas, just in case.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I find it impossible to defend Nintendo this time around. I knew the N64 was doomed to fall to either the Saturn or the PlayStation 2, but I wasn't sure which. It was just obvious. The DS brings back those feelings.

At first I was wondering why Nintendo isn't marketing the DS as a GameBoy. I think I know why now. They don't want to risk sullying the name's track record with a doomed product. I'll bet Nintendo is secretly working on a second portable which could be released by next Christmas, just in case.

I was thinking this this afternoon while playing my DS. What if nintendo decided to announce the new gameboy right before sony ships the PSP in the states.

They did say the DS is a third pillar in their lineup. Not a GBA replacement. So- what about a portable that plays the small gamecube disks as the new gameboy?

I think that would steal the thunder right out from under sony's PSP.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Yeah, I understand you feel pessimistic about Nintendo, but I don't see how that logically leads to faith in the ability of Sony to pack true PS2-level graphics in a handheld with a screen bigger than Jesus.

Quote:

The DS isn't really a Gameboy. I didn't see the distinction until I actually played the DS but it is just something different. I have no problem with it just being "Nintendo DS". If it is one-shot deal, no sequel hardware in the years to come, just "hey look, here's fun stuff" and then gone then I'm fine with that. I spent my money, I'm having fun and the future titles look like fun. I could not care less about future product line plans and megabits and googlehertz.

They would be morons if they weren't working on a new Gameboy to be released later. I have no doubt that they are working on it and have big plans for it. That definitely doesn't mean they think the DS is doomed to failure. If they thought that it wouldn't be out. I wouldn't have one.

With the DS they are obviously targeting older players, not kids. Look at games like XX:YY (or whatever it is called). Mario 64 is obviously a big waving flag to people my age saying "Hey, remember this from 8 years ago when you were in middle/high school!?"

There will be Pokemon and Animal Crossing and such for the DS, but the Gameboy is a different thing and will stick around. (Animal Crossing DS? be still my beating heart.)
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

(Animal Crossing DS? be still my beating heart.)

I can't wait for Animal Crossing DS- I hope they make it on-line 'cause that would be sweet! Being able to trade stuff with other people and download extras and stuff would be really cool. Invite people into your town or house. Show them your artwork etc.

Also can't wait for a zelda title and metroid hunters should be interesting.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    The ice slide in Mario 64 DS is foiling me just like it did on the N64.

Damn you Star Door #3!