Windows-Formatted iPod non-Music Files transfer to Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Can I transfer files from an iPod that was formatted in Windows to a Mac? I use my iPod as a large USB drive (in addition to music, of course). Would I be able to just plug in my iPod to a Mac and copy over all my files?

I'm aware that I need to reformat the iPod on Apple in order to sync up my music on it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Can I transfer files from an iPod that was formatted in Windows to a Mac? I use my iPod as a large USB drive (in addition to music, of course). Would I be able to just plug in my iPod to a Mac and copy over all my files?

I'm aware that I need to reformat the iPod on Apple in order to sync up my music on it.

Sure. Windows will format it as FAT32, which your mac should be able to read and write to fine.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

You are? Well, then you're wrong. You don't have to reformat the iPod to use it on a Mac for music. Macs can use PC formatted iPods without modification. But you can only "link" it to one copy of iTunes at a time.

Actually, I recently had a problem with my PC and had to replace it with somebody else's second-hand PC. I migrated my second harddrive, which had all my music and the iTunes XML file. I had to do a fresh install of iTunes on the new PC, but pointed my new iTunes to the new folder. The result was that my iPod and iTunes on the new PC were still in sync.

So this actually makes sense. I guess the key would be to ensure that my MP3s and the iTunes XML file retain the same directory structure.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    the windows ipod uses fat32?

I don't believe Apple could be that stupid