This is for apple lovers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
first i want to appologize if my question would bother any one of apple lovers , but

let's say i want to invest 1000$ in a new laptop,

for apple i would find the cheapest iBook which is 1.2GHz with 14.1 inch screen.

and for IBM i would find 2.6GHz (Celeron)processor with almost the same specifications.

I know Apple has better OS than others, it has great history and perfect name in market ,but i can't find the reason to take apple which is less in speed than half of the other good name.

i'll appreciate if any one advises me to make the correct step.

(let's say the software i need is available under the both machines w/o any problems)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Originally posted by prince973

first i want to appologize if my question would bother any one of apple lovers , but

let's say i want to invest 1000$ in a new laptop,

for apple i would find the cheapest iBook which is 1.2GHz with 14.1 inch screen.

and for IBM i would find 2.6GHz (Celeron)processor with almost the same specifications.

I know Apple has better OS than others, it has great history and perfect name in market ,but i can't find the reason to take apple which is less in speed than half of the other good name.

i'll appreciate if any one advises me to make the correct step.

(let's say the software i need is available under the both machines w/o any problems)

iApps?

Is windows included with the IBM price, or do you have to also buy that?

You say that you know that Apple has better OS than others, it has great history and perfect name in market - And this isn't a selling point for you?

Virus's? I am currently trying to remove all the virus' and spyware from my Mum's comp... and it is hopeless.

These are but a few great reasons to go an Apple... and if you were really concerned about top speed, you wouldn't be going an iBook in the first place.

If you use Apple you just have to accept that you will always pay more than PC users, and you willing accept that because the OSXperience is without equal.

iDunno
  • Reply 2 of 13
    will actually i believe there are not very much viruses under mac due to the huge number of users using windows,

i believe the viruses under windows is an evidence that there share in market till the moment is uncomparable.

the weak point in windows is the stability only ,

in my opinion.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

will actually i believe there are not very much viruses under mac due to the huge number of users using windows,

i believe the viruses under windows is an evidence that there share in market till the moment is uncomparable.

the weak point in windows is the stability only ,

in my opinion.

Thats entirely correct... I was using virus' as a resaon to avoid M$

iDunno
  • Reply 4 of 13
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    A GHz on a Mac is not the same as a Ghz on a PC when clocked for 99% of operations.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, that's mostly correct, iDunno. There are several glaring gaping security holes in Windows that enable the propagation of viruses, worms, and such that the Mac simply doesn't have.

To date, the number of MacOS X viruses, worms, trojans, and spyware is... zero. Yup, zero.

There were 37 viruses written for Mac Classic, the last in, um... 1993.

The Mac *is* more secure than Windows, and it's not just due to marketshare making one side a tastier hacker treat than the other, it's also about the underlying technologies.

But, that having been clarified, you also need to consider that a) the Celeron is a slow chip, even at high clockspeeds, compared to say a desktop P4. b) the clockspeeds between different CPUs is a vague comparison at best... due to relative efficiencies in architecture, you need to multiply the Mac clock by about 1.6-1.8 to get an equivalent chip speed on the P4 side.

So the difference you're seeing is artificial, strictly from the chip standpoint.

Then start adding in the workflow on both machines, and the Mac starts to pull ahead for efficiency.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Hi prince973,

the only thing that I can add here is my experience, I have had the pleasure and in some cases the displeasure of using and working with a number of OSes, machines or platforms etc.

In the final analysis there is no perfect solution, however the real hidden gem of owning a Mac is the MacOSX. I am quite frankly bemused that Apple does not promote OSX directly more than it does.

In my opinion OSX alone is worth the price of admission.

I was a PC junkie until April this year, I took the plunge and there is no going back. I actually look forward to using my PowerBook.

What it comes down to is do you value your time, in terms of reliability, maintenance, ease-of-use etc.?

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Worked a few years back at a very prestigious graduate school of management (your future boss!) on their Toshiba laptop program (your future boss doesn't know how to undelete his inbox!!!) and in the computer lab. Most of us there spent our days fixing PCs and we went home at night to Macs, no fixing required.

You can argue all day about the minutiae of relative specs, but I think this anecdote says it all.

--B
  • Reply 8 of 13
    rara Posts: 623member
    MHz/GHz != speed
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Ask yourself this question:

How fast do you want to run Word/Excel/IE/Mozilla, yada yada yada.... How fast is fast enough?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I don't think a 2.6 Ghz Celeron is faster than a 1.2 Ghz G4.

In that "IBM" machine, is there a video card or is the RAM shared with the graphics driver?

Sure, there seems to be some advantages in hardware coming from the "IBM" world. But you have to look at things like that to realize Macs are not that much more expensive than a comparably equipped QUALITY PC.

Then there is the OS. OS X, like somebody said, is worth the price of admission.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

The Athlon64 FX-53 also runs at a measly 2.4GHz.. I wonder why some idiots buy it at multiple times the going price of a clearly superior 2.6GHz Celeron?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    How much is your time worth !

Design-wise : PowerBook

Important apps: iLife

Least worries: Viruses, spyware, adware

What it really boils down to is this:

1. How much time do you want to spend on getting things done ?

2. How long time will you spend on maintenance on your computer ?

3. What kind of opportunities do you want to be presented to ?

Whether it is finding the best pictures of my son, (in a library of close to 3000 pictures), editing DV footage, managing my music, change settings on the system, being connected to the internet 24/7, ......

I choose mac.

Also, if you place an hourly wage on what you do on a computer, I think you will find that the mac is way cheaper than a pc.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I wouldn't purchase a Celeron processor if it were the next to last processor on earth. Use one. They are painfully SLOW!

I have a Pentium M 1.8 Ghz in my current Dell M60 and it does well. My guess is, that a celeron runs at least 1 Ghz slower than a comparable P4 chip.

Celeron just sucks. I have owned ONE before, never again.

Eric