Can Mac OS X be installed on a former Win computer?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If a hard drive was completely wiped out which say, once ran Windows XP, is it possible to install Mac OS X on that hard drive?

I obviously don't know much about this subject, but I am just curious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    As long as the physical specs (bus type, height etc) meets the macs requirements, then you should have no problems*

* usual odd incompatibilities apply
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Mac OSX can be installed on ANY HD ... but it won't do anythign unless that HD is connected to a Macintosh computer. (And there are some partitioning issues with big HD's on older Macs.)

If you are wondering if it will run on an Intel/AMD computer, then "No".
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Did you actually extract your HD from your computer and put it into a Mac? Or do you want to install OS X on the same computer as the one which used to run XP?

In the first case, not every Macintosh can run OS X. Be sure the machine you're using meets the specs (I think you need something like a Firewire-enabled G3 to run Panther).

In the second case, nope, you can't install and run OS X on Wintel PCs (and if your computer used to run XP, it is a Wintel PC). If you're a UNIX geek, you can always build and run Darwin (the core of Mac OS X) on your PC, though, but it will be all command-line, not the cool Aqua interface...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Did you actually extract your HD from your computer and put it into a Mac? Or do you want to install OS X on the same computer as the one which used to run XP?

It's the second, I wanted to know if a computer which I used to have run Win XP would be able to run OS X.

Oh well.

Thanks for the replies.