iPod question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a way to get the songs off the ipod manually ( without deleting them) once you put them on there? I mean its basically a HD, but when you open it up on the desktop the music files are hidden. My reason being I want to back up my mp3's and reformat the ipod as mac format instead of the win format, which it currently is ( I bought it used). Any suggestions or is it even possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    You shouldn't need to take the songs off your iPod as they are already on your Mac.

I reformated by iPod a couple of weeks ago and iTunes just sync'd them all again. Painless.

If you really want to do it, get hold of ipodrip

here :- www.thelittleappfactory.com/software/ipodrip.php

regards

Mark
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I got my problem solved, I didnt have my mp3's on my HD anymore (needed to free up room), since its only a 12gb, and I have about 4gb of mp3's. anyhow I used tinkertool to do the trick, so I was able to get them off the ipod back onto my hd and reformat it to mac and update the software. As you probably know, when you do an automatic sync with the ipod with itunes, the ipod will delete songs if it doesnt match whats on your HD, which is what I experienced when I first got it, so I had to manually update it, since I would delete my converted cd's off my HD once I put them on the ipod.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by markybyrne

You shouldn't need to take the songs off your iPod as they are already on your Mac.

It would be bloody useful to do the opposite of what iTunes does when there isn't enough space on the iPod. As in have 60GB of music on your iPod and only 20GB of the best on your laptop! That would be so useful if you have little space or don't want to have all your music on your PowerBook.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

It would be bloody useful to do the opposite of what iTunes does when there isn't enough space on the iPod. As in have 60GB of music on your iPod and only 20GB of the best on your laptop! That would be so useful if you have little space or don't want to have all your music on your PowerBook.

but then you could "borrow" someone else's iPod, and steal all their music. not that that's bad...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

but then you could "borrow" someone else's iPod, and steal all their music. not that that's bad...

i can do that anyway, either borrow their cds, or plug there computer into your using a network, copy their song files, all their itms music will platy on any ipod anyway! That;'s not at all difficult, done it to get music from a coupe, of my computers. It's not the fact that that's difficult (cos it isn't), what if i don't have two computers and I've corrupted my itunes library? Why not allow your iPod to music on five computers? Like the DRMs used, the iPod will recognise five computers and copy to any of them-obviously you could change them so could cause problems!