Something Is Fishy.... (iPod)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A can of coca-cola blew up on my iPod today.

So I went to my Apple Store. No 10GB iPods. No estimated arrival date.

So I then went to a CompUsa. No 10GB iPods. None on order.

Something is up.

Hope springs eternal,

iPodlessly,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. What do you want to bet that these things are updated on or about the 25th, hmm?

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Mandricard ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 403
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Did the Apple Store give you a reason as to why there were no iPods?
  • Reply 2 of 403
    Sounds like they sold out during Xmas. The 10 gig I'm told was the most popular model. They are available from the Apple Store on line, 1-2 days.

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 403
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by Algol:

<strong>Did the Apple Store give you a reason as to why there were no iPods?</strong><hr></blockquote>

:: "They were getting of their inventory to make way for newer models" one of them said. then another added " We should probably start marketing those eMacs, they are going to be taken off the shelves soon too"::

ahhh,, only if people were that honest....
  • Reply 4 of 403
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    There were no Mac 10 GB iPods at the store when I tried to buy one. They did have plenty of Windows 10GB iPods so I got one of those instead. Perhaps for you guys it was only the Mac version that sold out.
  • Reply 5 of 403
    Just had a look on the Apple Australia site. All models are shipping within 2 days.

P.S. This is going to sound like a stupid question.... whats the difference between the Mac and PC version of the iPod........ is it just the software bundled with it or is there coding differences within the iPod itself..... and can it be changed to suit either/or.......
  • Reply 6 of 403
    Shipping from Apple is different from them being vacant in the retail channel with none on order. (The guy at the Apple Store said, "Uh......dunno" when I asked him when to expect them.)

Mourning the loss of my iPod,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. I am boycotting Coke in cans.
  • Reply 7 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Mandricard:

<strong>Shipping from Apple is different from them being vacant in the retail channel with none on order. (The guy at the Apple Store said, "Uh......dunno" when I asked him when to expect them.)

Mourning the loss of my iPod,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. I am boycotting Coke in cans.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why don't you just buy a Windows iPod (assuming you can find that) and format it to Mac?

(if you mean they have ABSOLUTELY no ipods I apologize).

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: drumbug1 ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 403
    Why risk buying an iPod now when some signs point to an update soon? I might even get one.
  • Reply 9 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>Why risk buying an iPod now when some signs point to an update soon? I might even get one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If January comes and goes without an update, I think I will. But I am at least waiting until the 25th.

Mandricard

HaplessOutsider
  • Reply 10 of 403
    That's a good idea. Maybe Apple will release a temporarily (yet effectively) Mac-only top of the line iPod featuring Firewire 800?
  • Reply 11 of 403
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>That's a good idea. Maybe Apple will release a temporarily (yet effectively) Mac-only top of the line iPod featuring Firewire 800?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Considering even the fastest 15K RPM HDDs don't touch FireWire 800s maximum throughput, I don't see why Apple would put FireWire 800 on it. It's not like Apple's going to put a second port on it to allow you to daisy chain devices off it...the second port wouldn't be powered either...

I don't see FireWire 800 being used as an expansion port for an iPod-like device either. It's a pod, not a hub.

I saw iPods at Best Buy today anyway...

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 403
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Sorry to hear about your iPod's early and painful demise, Mandricard. At least you have a local Apple Store too now.

I share your suspicion that something is brewing on the iPod front. However, I'm less certain as to the degree of any update to the line. Personally, I'm waiting for a low-end $149 5GB iPod. In addition to music, I'm planning on using it for audio language classes to brush up on my language skills.

Talking about future new hardware, I think that a ruggedized iPod (akin to Sony's Sports Walkman) would sell well. I expect that it would feature a smaller drive than other iPods to keep the price competitive.

I'll inquire about iPods at the Tyson's Corner (VA) store when they finally get a 12" PowerBook demo unit giving me reason to go there.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 403
    i dunno about ipod supply...but last week I sent my 10giger (scroll-wheel) in to get it repaired by apple-japan(dying battery) and I got a phone call from apple-japan that they will send me a new unit...so I am hoping that I get the new touch-wheel one instead. But to my disappointment, the new one I got in the mail today was a brand-new scroll wheel.

Damn, if they still got new ones of those kicking around....
  • Reply 14 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

]Sorry to hear about your iPod's early and painful demise, Mandricard. At least you have a local Apple Store too now. <hr></blockquote>

Thank you for ebing a voice of sympathy

[quote]I share your suspicion that something is brewing on the iPod front. However, I'm less certain as to the degree of any update to the line. Personally, I'm waiting for a low-end $149 5GB iPod. In addition to music, I'm planning on using it for audio language classes to brush up on my language skills.<hr></blockquote>

That would be great, but I am not sure if they will ever get components that cheap. Take the plunge, you will never go back: as soon as I new it was ruined I got in my car. that is how addicted I am.

[quote]Talking about future new hardware, I think that a ruggedized iPod (akin to Sony's Sports Walkman) would sell well. I expect that it would feature a smaller drive than other iPods to keep the price competitive.<hr></blockquote>

HOW ABOUT A COKE-PROOF VERSION?!

I personally think the size and form-factor will remain the same... what will change is the components within, and no firewire 800. Overkill.

In black,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 15 of 403
    I think we may see a $199 5 Gig iPod, possibly without the silver back, maybe all plastic or something like that.
  • Reply 16 of 403
    a little off topic, but how did the coke can explode? let alone on your ipod? were u using the ipod as a coaster?
  • Reply 17 of 403
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    I would like to see Apple's take on something like this:

<a href="http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C1383/"; target="_blank">http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C1383/</a>;

Using SD including Airport or Bluetooth {for wireless dragging and dropping file/folder copy}

maybe a nice 2MP digital camera with 640x480 30fps video capture.

Can all this be had with a long battery life?

Anyone here about the status of those recently announced 70% efficient solar panels?
  • Reply 18 of 403
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by fireants22:

<strong>i dunno about ipod supply...but last week I sent my 10giger (scroll-wheel) in to get it repaired by apple-japan(dying battery) and I got a phone call from apple-japan that they will send me a new unit...so I am hoping that I get the new touch-wheel one instead. But to my disappointment, the new one I got in the mail today was a brand-new scroll wheel.

Damn, if they still got new ones of those kicking around....</strong><hr></blockquote>

All of the 5GB models have the scroll wheels instead of the touch-wheels.
  • Reply 19 of 403
    duh..i know that...but the 10gigers are all touch-wheel now. (i have the 10gig)
  • Reply 20 of 403
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    This is really sad! Have you tried to fix it? Open it and clean the goop off the moving parts, dry it with hair dryer, etc.? :eek: