Hard Drive Brand

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got a new powermac G5 1.8 ghz and I quickly found out I need a bigger hard drive. I remember a few years ago there was a discussion here about which brand was best (Segate, Western Digital, etc) and I can't for the life of me remember what the title was and can't find it. So I'll ask myself. Which HD do you have in your mac and is it any good? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    you're pretty safe with all the major brands of drives, i suggest reading the warranties from each manufacturer. I've always trusted seagate though, and i've never trusted quantum, which i guess is part of maxtor now. so like i said, get familiar with the warranties, and see which suits you more, then go to pricewatch.com and find your best price.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I really like Western Digital. I've found that Maxtor just doesn't live up to the others. I've already had 2 maxtor drives die in my iMac. I'm with WD now, and no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I too have had less than stellar performance with Maxtor drives. Personally, I love Seagate drives, I've owned 3 over the past 3 years, and have been superb, whereas the 2 Maxtors I owned both went south about a year after I installed them.

So far, I've also been enjoying the Hitachi Deskstar line. I know my Quicksilver G4 came with an IBM Deskstar, does anyone know if IBM sold off the line to Hitachi? Or if they both use the same name? Just curious.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Seagate drives are good. I've owned several of them, and they all worked perfectly fine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Seagates are great - especially the five year warranty, but lately I've been buying Samsung SpinPoint drives. They are super quiet.