Something Is Fishy.... (iPod)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 403
    I have tried everything.

I opened it, it is filled with goop. It sits there sadly on my bureau, clicking sporadically.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 22 of 403
    mandricard

sorry to hear about your ipod but at this link is a fellow who went through the same thing you did. his ipod was dunked in coke and it shows with pics how he cleaned it all up and it seems to be working, check it out and good luck : <a href="http://www.pillowpillow.com/ipodfirstaid/"; target="_blank">http://www.pillowpillow.com/ipodfirstaid/</a>;

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: futuremac ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 403
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hmm, I wouldn't have dunked the HDD or battery in distilled water or 99% alcohol, but the circuit boards and other components for sure. It looks like his HDD was still borked after all that effort. He can probably find some place on Pricewatch that sells those Toshiba HDDs though.
  • Reply 24 of 403
    i saw a store last month advertising 10GB iPods as "clearance" and said that they all had to be sold. they didnt give the price but said to come in. i never went. i, too, had hoped something new would be unveiled at MWSF.
  • Reply 25 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

i saw a store last month advertising 10GB iPods as "clearance" and said that they all had to be sold. they didnt give the price but said to come in. i never went. i, too, had hoped something new would be unveiled at MWSF.<hr></blockquote>

The plot thickens... perhaps others should go looking for them, as well.

I await avec impatience the 25th of Janurary.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 26 of 403
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Ummm...no.

The 25th of January is a Saturday (you know the day after Friday)

Doesn't Apple normally update on a Tuesday?

A Saturday release would cause the loss of untold amounts of news coverage and hype.

And the iPod is a product meant to capitalize on news coverage and hype.
  • Reply 27 of 403
    Mandricard- I'm assuming that your iPod is under warranty. If it is, you could do what he did to his to get rid of any trace of the coke, and then send it into Apple completely denying any knowledge of why it went wrong.

OT- I got the same HD icon on the screen of mine, and it's being repaired at the moment. On another note, I have full all risks insurance cover (as well as AppleCare) for both my iBook and iPod, and would recommend it to everybody.
  • Reply 28 of 403
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Frank777:

<strong>Ummm...no.

The 25th of January is a Saturday (you know the day after Friday)

Doesn't Apple normally update on a Tuesday?

A Saturday release would cause the loss of untold amounts of news coverage and hype.

And the iPod is a product meant to capitalize on news coverage and hype.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he suggested the 25th because that's the day iLife is released. I also thought that there would be some other announcements that day. We'll see soon. Here's to hoping....
  • Reply 28 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Pilmour Boy:

Mandricard- I'm assuming that your iPod is under warranty.<hr></blockquote>

Nope. iPod bought November 2001. First batch.

Rats rats rats.

Anyway, the 25th is a Saturday, but my HOPE is that iLife software might contain clues to a new iPod's capabilities, so that the new one will be HOPEFULLY released on or about the 25th to go with iLife's capabilities.

Hope, as always, springs eternal.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. If anyone happens to be near a CompUSA or AppleStore, check out their inventory of 10 gig Mac iPods see if I am alone in my experience (and thus just blowing smoke in my own...er...face.).
  • Reply 30 of 403
    Apple Store online still has only a 1-2 day wait for the 10 gig but a 3-4 week wait for the 5 gig.
  • Reply 31 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by jante99:

Apple Store online still has only a 1-2 day wait for the 10 gig but a 3-4 week wait for the 5 gig.<hr></blockquote>

That is understood. The question involves the retail channels.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 32 of 403
    Pilmour Boy

where do you get this "all risks" insurance coverage from? any company? is it insurance just for computer equipment?

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: futuremac ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 403
    The insurance is a special add on to my household insurance, which I get from a company called Endsleigh.
  • Reply 34 of 403
    the five gig isn't available anymore...
  • Reply 35 of 403
    [quote]Due to significant holiday demand, the 5GB iPod is temporarily unavailable. <hr></blockquote>

Hmm..
  • Reply 36 of 403
    A friend of mine works at an Apple Store here in the Northeast and he says they are stocked full with every model, Mac & Windows. So I'm not sure what we are hoping for here, but it might not happen as soon as people hope.
  • Reply 37 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

A friend of mine works at an Apple Store here in the Northeast and he says they are stocked full with every model, Mac & Windows. So I'm not sure what we are hoping for here, but it might not happen as soon as people hope.<hr></blockquote>

Perhaps it is only my area.... but it did seem strange for both AppleStore & CompUsa to have none in stock and none on order...

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 38 of 403
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    Apple Store is saying:

Due to significant holiday demand, the 5GB iPod is temporarily unavailable.

So I think that means it's shortly gonna be dropped.

Any supplies still in shops are obviously last of the line.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: lucida ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 403
    We don't know that for sure... They could really just be clear out...
  • Reply 40 of 403
    The plot thickens....

<a href="http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=18191"; target="_blank">MacNN reports that there are no 5gb iPods available, and the 10 and 20gb models have gone to shipping in 5-7 days...</a>

HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE

Mandricard

AppleOutsider