Red Light, Green Light

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If the Red button is Cmd + W, and the Yellow button is Cmd + M, what's the Green one? I know that a maximize command would be useless as far as maximizing minimized windows in the Dock (impossible to determine which one you wish to maximize with just a key-stroke), but what about me trying to use all of my 800 x 600 screen real estate? So many apps layer windows, and I just can't afford that lost centimeter--with just one new window I lose the scroll bar.

Is this key-strokable, anyone?

--J

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    It's not, but you can create a custom one in Sys Pref > Keyboard + Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts -- e.g. control-Z for "Zoom" in the Window menu.

By the way, the green button doesn't minimize or maxmize á la Windows, but "zooms" -- resizes the window to the contents of that window (or back to its previous size).

Windows-style maximizing a window to fit the entire screen isn't considered very desirable in classic MacOS philosophy. Mostly I agree. Cue long discussion and debate.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

It's not, but you can create a custom one in Sys Pref > Keyboard + Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts -- e.g. control-Z for "Zoom" in the Window menu.

Oddly enough, I just tried that (as in added the shortcut), and it didn't work. I wonder why...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Did you by accident map it to CMD-Z, which is already taken for Undo?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Or you may have to quit the app and relaunch before the key command kicks in...? If it works, OS X will display the new command in the menu item.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Will have to wait for Panther/Tiger, whatever I get next (seems to be impossible in the Jaguar SysPrefs).

Quote:

Windows-style maximizing a window to fit the entire screen isn't considered very desirable in classic MacOS philosophy. Mostly I agree. Cue long discussion and debate.

It is when, as I say, you've only got 800 eency-weency pixels across and 600 teency-weency ones going up. Thanks for the tip, though.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Will have to wait for Panther/Tiger, whatever I get next (seems to be impossible in the Jaguar SysPrefs).

Right, that feature was added in Panther. If you're holding out until Tiger, you're stuck targeting the green button, or checking out one the macro utilities - Keyboard Maestro, iKey, etc.

Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

It is when, as I say, you've only got 800 eency-weency pixels across and 600 teency-weency ones going up. Thanks for the tip, though.

I feel your pain. If it's full-screen browsing you're looking for, perhaps this might help?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Right, that feature was added in Panther. If you're holding out until Tiger, you're stuck targeting the green button, or checking out one the macro utilities - Keyboard Maestro, iKey, etc. I feel your pain. If it's full-screen browsing you're looking for, perhaps this might help?

Very, very cool. Saft v. 4.0.0 is good for Jaguar. Will try it when I get home. Perhaps maestro as well. Cheers!

--B
  • Reply 8 of 12
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Did you by accident map it to CMD-Z, which is already taken for Undo?

No... Oddly enough, mapping Zoom to *anything* doesn't seem to work at all, while other global menu items map just fine.

Can you get it to work? For that matter, can anyone?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Works OK for me.

• Reply 10 of 12
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Works OK for me.

Well, yes, mapping it does, but it does not show up in applications... Try TextEdit, for example.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I wasn't having much luck with control z, or option z or control option z or the like, but I tried F7, and it was quite successful. You do have to quit the app and relaunch it before it works, but it does work after doing so. TextEdit, however is a pain, it does not seem to want to accept any changes. Most other applications seem happy with it though.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lucy

I wasn't having much luck with control z, or option z or control option z or the like, but I tried F7, and it was quite successful. You do have to quit the app and relaunch it before it works, but it does work after doing so. TextEdit, however is a pain, it does not seem to want to accept any changes. Most other applications seem happy with it though.

iTunes doesn't like option in the keystroke. Why do windows users get a shortcut and we don't (for the mini wondow)