Something Is Fishy.... (iPod)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 403
    <a href="http://www.macmall.com/macmall/search/product_list.asp?id=2495"; target="_blank">Putting another twig on the fire.</a>

This is not much, but something is fishy with the 10GB iPod here as well.

Hope hope hope hope hope hope hope...

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 42 of 403
    <a href="http://www.compusa.com/apple/product_info.asp?product_code=292312"; target="_blank">and another....</a>

<a href="http://www.compusa.com/apple/product_info.asp?product_code=288491"; target="_blank">and another....</a>

<a href="http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=488&cat=538&scat=539&e=11179134"; target="_blank">and another....</a>

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. <a href="http://macnn.com/news.php?id=18211"; target="_blank">And now some cold water.....</a>

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: Mandricard ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 403
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    So, they're sold out everywhere? That's cool. My 5gig is having some battery longevity issues, so I may have to trade it in at compusa when whatever is released on Saturday is available. Here's to hoping....
  • Reply 44 of 403
    No doubt new iPods on the way with new iTunes 4 (MPEG-4 with AAC-Audio) which will be included with iLife and the other iApps.
  • Reply 45 of 403
    <a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/23.ilife.php"; target="_blank">Oh Rats.</a>

iLife delay, therefore iPod delay. TS says the delay has to do with hardware upgrades, though, which brings hope anew to my iPodless existence....

Hope springs eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 46 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Mandricard:

<strong><a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/23.ilife.php"; target="_blank">Oh Rats.</a>

iLife delay, therefore iPod delay. TS says the delay has to do with hardware upgrades, though, which brings hope anew to my iPodless existence....

Hope springs eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider</strong><hr></blockquote>

This was posted over at Macrumors by a person that has a 20GB on order:

Re: ...other hardware

quote:

[i]I want to know what the other hardware is!

Check this out. I ordered a 20 gig iPod on the 12th of Jan. Expected shipping was 1-2 days. Then it was changed to 5-7 days. The next day the 5 gig iPod was "unavailable".

NOW... I get this message,

Dear Valued Apple Customer,

We appreciate your recent Apple Store Order W4XXXXXX

Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following

item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

M8738LL/A, IPOD FOR MAC 20GB-USA

will now ship on or before 02/03/2003

Please note that product availability can change rapidly, and it is

possible that your order may ship much sooner than we anticipate. You

may even receive a shipment confirmation between the time we send this

email and the time that you read it.

If you prefer, you may change or cancel your order anytime before it

is shipped, and receive a prompt refund, by calling us at

800-676-2775 ext-56500 Mon-Fri 7am-9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm (Central).

If we do not hear from you, we will continue processing your order.

You will receive an email notification once your order has been

shipped.

Sounds like new Pods are coming. Should I cancel?? Or just wait and see what happens?[/b]

Something's brewing....

[off topic] Mandricard your sig reads "hope springs eternal" is that from a Robbie Williams song?
  • Reply 47 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by bperkins:

Sounds like new Pods are coming. Should I cancel?? Or just wait and see what happens?[/b]

Something's brewing....<hr></blockquote>

If it were me, I would cancel. But you are not me. My iPod was a casualty as I noted in my first post, and I am now waiting for the next revision to order. I could probably get one at target or somewhere, but I am waiting.

[quote][off topic] Mandricard your sig reads "hope springs eternal" is that from a Robbie Williams song&gt;<hr></blockquote>

No... it is from many years now of being on these boards and hoping for things (like a tablet) that never seem to come.... (I have heard a Capercaillie song by that name, though...

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 48 of 403
    even fishier:

There is only one CompUSA store within 50 miles of nyc 10gb ipod in stock.

This state of affairs can not last long.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

[Edit] Post Script: Shipping from the AppleStore has now dropped again to 1-2 days..... something imminent? What's going on?

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: Mandricard ]</p>
  • Reply 49 of 403
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Do you think the delay in the release of iLife and its component applications from Jan. 25 to Jan. 31 could have anything to do with updated iPods? Most rumor outlets simply speculated about a hardware-related delay, which I interpreted as referring to iMacs, PowerMacs, and displays. But it could just as well be iPod hardware.

Escher
  • Reply 50 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

Do you think the delay in the release of iLife and its component applications from Jan. 25 to Jan. 31 could have anything to do with updated iPods? Most rumor outlets simply speculated about a hardware-related delay, which I interpreted as referring to iMacs, PowerMacs, and displays. But it could just as well be iPod hardware.<hr></blockquote>

That is my hope... as always, eternal. The delay on the 10GB has gone back to 5-7 days.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 51 of 403
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, we got new PowerMacs, a new 20" ASD and lower prices across the Pro line this morning. That leaves the iMac and iPod lines open for an update.

When I went out to my Apple Store to inspect the 12-inch PowerBook last week, I also played with the iPods. One was connected to a set of JBL Creature speakers. That would make a nice portable setup!

I also compared the mechanical wheel dial on the 5GB iPod to the electronic one on the 10 and 20GB models. I have to say that I prefer the mechanical dial. First, it provides tactile feedback, unlike the electronic dial. IMO, tactile feedback is one of the most important UI elements that is too often ignored in recent gadgets. More importantly from a practical perspective, sweaty palms don't throw off the mechanical dial. The electronic dial, OTOH, doesn't work properly with wet fingers (it skips and jumps), just like the trackpads on Apple's portables. If I were to get an iPod, I would want to use it while being physically active, and thus would prefer the mechanical dial.

Here's to hoping that the 5GB model will retain the mechanical dial but drop to $199.

Escher

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 52 of 403
    Apple will drop the 5Gi and 10Gi in due course!

Bigger better iPod(s) on the way with ambient optic display and controls - new case material too! YEP you peeked it hear first!

5Gi Dead

10Gi No change

20Gi No change

40Gi ambient FW 800 NEW

60Gi ambient FW 800 NEW

When? --- that would be telling ! ! !

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Rendezvous ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 403
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Just checked the apple store. 5GB iPods have no link next to them for mac or windows. You also can only add the 10 or 20 to your new powermac order...the 5 is not listed there either.
  • Reply 54 of 403
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by BR:

<strong>Just checked the apple store. 5GB iPods have no link next to them for mac or windows. You also can only add the 10 or 20 to your new powermac order...the 5 is not listed there either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Indeed, I was just about to post the same thing.

It's thicker than pea soup in here!

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Flounder ]</p>
  • Reply 55 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Rendezvous:

When? --- that would be telling ! ! !

<hr></blockquote>

AAAARRGH.

Dying for a new iPod. When when when when when. I am still hoping for next Tuesday.

40GB and 60 GB with FW 800 are overkill methinks --they will have to be way overpriced. FW800 on an iPod seems like it will be too fast for the slow little drive, too. I wonder what the price points will be...

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. What is an "ambient optic display and control" anyway?
  • Reply 56 of 403
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    So who says we tar and feather SJ if we don't get a new iPod on Tuesday?
  • Reply 57 of 403

Just like the pb17 - new iPod screens and controls will react to ambient light...

Many will say what the hell - we have backlight LCD - but this is far cooler and adds value to the top range iPod without batteryware...

Why would a company patent this stuff just for a keyboard on a pb17), when it can be applied to so many other devices... Come on you people, Apple lead the way...
  • Reply 58 of 403
    Last week, a site (can't remember which one) said that new iPods would be:

5 Gig @$199 (all plastic body, possible solid state scroll)

10 Gig @299 with aluminum back with solid state scroll

20 Gig @$399 as above

40 Gig @ $499 as above

Soon.

P.S. If software upgrade comes along with MPEG 4 that would add moer capacity for each version.
  • Reply 59 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Mandricard:

<strong>40GB and 60 GB with FW 800 are overkill methinks --they will have to be way overpriced. </strong><hr></blockquote>

each to their own but i'd snap up a 60 gig with ambiant keys.

(i'd snap it up even faster if it supported Ogg Vorbis and didn't have the current iPods 'silent gap' between songs!)
  • Reply 60 of 403
    [quote]Originally posted by Rendezvous:

Just like the pb17 - new iPod screens and controls will react to ambient light...

Many will say what the hell - we have backlight LCD - but this is far cooler and adds value to the top range iPod without batteryware...<hr></blockquote>

I probably would be one of those saying "big whoop," but they would be wicked cool....

Functionality I do not want changed:

1) Ease of use

2) Ease of use

3) Ease of use

4) Firewire 400 is fine for this little thing.

Functionality that could be tweaked:

1) Slightly Sleeker OS : better integration with iCal/Addressbook.

2) Line in recording (a meaderesque pipe dream)

3) More consistent battery performance

4) Ogg, etc.

5) If it goes to a color screen, than definitely jpg support, if not movie support.

6) Some kind of docking station for a stereo system? Perhaps via bluetooth?

7) COCA-COLA RESISTANCE.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. Crossing my fingers for next Tuesday......

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Mandricard ]</p>