iMac G5 versus PM G5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Argh, tough tough decision. I've been using a wonderful PB Ti G4 at 1ghz as my ONLY computer for some time, but my growing collection of raw photo files and the like is starting to push the seams of my powerbook. I'm considering a desktop, both for speed and more screen real estate and then dedicate my powerbook for wireless net browsing and other low power uses.

It is tough to decide given the current market, however, whether to get a iMac 1.6ghz at $1100 refurbished, a 20inch iMac refurb at $1799 or go all out and get a g5/1.8 duallie, probably with a dell 2005 20 inch LCD to save a few bucks

The iMacs are at a GREAT price point for what they give you..A gig of ram and a new 300-400gig HD and you are set for a while. However, I had a PM G4/533 duallie when they first came out and THAT was a great machine. Dual processors ROCK under OS X and really show the inherent power of the operating system.

Should I just suck it up, go into debt, and get the 1.8 duallie? The inherent advantage, of course, is that I can add a Radeon 9800 or X800 when I'm ready, second HD, etc, etc....

Comments from the gallery?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    long haul investment...Powermac. Just need something for now that you don't mind losing money on when you need to upgrade due to graphics card or the need for a dual processor machine...I have stopped buying consumer machines for myself because I kept losing too much money going that route...by now I could have had a great Pro machine....I bought my 20" screen, now I am saving up for my dualie G5. I am on a PB of the 12" variety right now and with my image files it is really killing it as well. So, I would say Powermac just because that is the choice I made.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Since YOU ASKED ....

I wouldn't go into debt for ANY computer ... get the best you can afford, but debt is a BAD thing.

Worst case ... get an external FW HD for your notebook (you indicated storage space was your main problem)... use it while you save up the CASH to buy the computer you want.

It's quite amazing how easy it is to save for someting when you DON'T have to make credit card payments, or car payments, or student loan payments, etc, etc every month.

.... remember ... you asked
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Since YOU ASKED ....

I wouldn't go into debt for ANY computer ... get the best you can afford, but debt is a BAD thing.

Worst case ... get an external FW HD for your notebook (you indicated storage space was your main problem)... use it while you save up the CASH to buy the computer you want.

It's quite amazing how easy it is to save for someting when you DON'T have to make credit card payments, or car payments, or student loan payments, etc, etc every month.

.... remember ... you asked

My levels of debt are beyond many people's reconning...

I went to med school at a private school AND my parents aren't doctors!

My regular (non-school) debt will be going away within 9 months...