My 20" iMac arrived today...I hate this thing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Actually, I am pulling your chain!!!! I love this thing! This is my first apple and only the second one I have ever used (I used a IIe in middle school).

The BT keyboard is a little slow but no biggie! So far, I have got my wireless internet working, although I need to find my mac address so I can turn my mac filter back on, and the icons are simply amazing!!

I feel like a total idiot since I have no idea where anything is, how to setup my preferences, where my c: drive is. All in due time I guess. Until then, I will be fiddling with my new iMac!!

I had to post, I am about to bust!!

Eric

20" iMac G5, Superdrive (which is cool looking), 1 gig ram

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Actually, I am pulling your chain!!!! I love this thing! This is my first apple and only the second one I have ever used (I used a IIe in middle school).

The BT keyboard is a little slow but no biggie! So far, I have got my wireless internet working, although I need to find my mac address so I can turn my mac filter back on, and the icons are simply amazing!!

I feel like a total idiot since I have no idea where anything is, how to setup my preferences, where my c: drive is. All in due time I guess. Until then, I will be fiddling with my new iMac!!

I had to post, I am about to bust!!

Eric

20" iMac G5, Superdrive (which is cool looking), 1 gig ram

Congrats!

FYI, MAC address should be available in System Preferences --> Network --> choose Airport from the Show menu --> Airport ID is the MAC address.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Apple Menu (top left) -> System Preferences Everything should be pretty obvious, since it's laid out to make *sense*. I know, I know, you'll get over the shock.

C: drive: There ain't none! No more letters! No more stupid mappings! Drives are *named*, period. See that hard drive icon on your Desktop, upper right? The one that says Macintosh HD? Double-click it. That's your drive. Click the name, just like you would to edit a filename. Type in a new one. That's your drive's new name.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

The BT keyboard is a little slow but no biggie!

do you type at the speed of light or is something not set up right?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I don't type at the speed of light. But there is a slight delay, just enough to notice. Not sure why. My mouse is fine. Where would I look for a problem?

Btw, check out this thread in the software section. I have AutoCad LT 2005 running in Virtual PC 7. This ROCKS!!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=48566

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 12
    i definatly reccoment going out and buying "mac os x, the missing manual" from oriely. it is a great recource for switchers like us. tells you how to do everything you want.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Welcome to the Mac community! Enjoy your iMac.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

I don't type at the speed of light. But there is a slight delay, just enough to notice. Not sure why. My mouse is fine. Where would I look for a problem?

Btw, check out this thread in the software section. I have AutoCad LT 2005 running in Virtual PC 7. This ROCKS!!

Eric

ah VPC is the problem!!! j/k

make sure there wasnt a bluetooth antenna that came with the imac. when i dont have mine plugged into my G5, my devices get slow (granted, the G5 is all aluminum).
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

do you type at the speed of light or is something not set up right?

At first glance i thought you were talking about a fancy

motorized keyboard, ...

Warm welcome anyway

Don't get busted about how everything should/is to be set on the Mac.

Go explore, someone else here will say, - and this is the best recommendation ever to new Mac users, - in 99% of all possible cases Os X acts like you thought it should act.

Try "drag an' drop" everywhere.

Best
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    In regards to the typing delay... While bluetooth isn't as responsive as wired input, it shouldn't be noticable whatsoever on a keyboard. Some users can perceive a slight sloppyness with bluetooth mice, but definately not on a keyboard.

It is most definately a software problem. Here are a couple theories...

Safari has laggy input in some text boxes. This happens sporadically on even my wired keyboard. Certain pages, especially those with numerous animations, result in lagged typing. This is a known bug that will hopefully be resolved in Mac OS 10.4.

Another likely culprit is being short on RAM.

If you'd like input to resolve the problem, post some more details. Which programs are you running, how much ram do you have, and where (if not everywhere) is the slow typing experienced?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

The BT keyboard is a little slow but no biggie!

Sounds to me that its just the keyboard repeat rate, does it tend to be when u want to delete say a line of text a letter at a time? If this the case then if you go into the keyboard & mouse preference pane in system preferences and put the "Keyboard Repeat Rate" to "Fast" that should sort that out.

• Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Eric

Get FormZ. It isn't cheap, but it's less than AutoCAD and it runs natively on OS X. It's far better than AutoCAD LT. Hell, I like it more than the full version.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Congrats on the new iMac! Best part of learning the Mac is that you can learn the Mac, usually on your own, but with a helpful community as backup too.

AutoCAD is the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck, but people are often obliged to use it for one reason or another. (Some obligations are more legit than others though.) I feel for you, aplnub. \

However, if you're not obliged to use it and just need the file format support, pretty much all Mac 2D and 3D apps support the .dwg format and all of them, any of them, are far better apps anyway. (The only problem is when AutoDesk decides to scramble the format with each new release, but aCAD users are often used to exporting into older versions of the .dwg format, even if the recipient is using aCAD too.)