Powerbook 12 inch is to heavy!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I?m getting tired of carrying a 4.6lb PowerBook. To keep my portable business, Apple needs to come out with a sub-notebook. The 12-inch feels and looks like a brick and is the farthest thing to road warriors dream. With the lack of a decent mobile processor I don?t know how Apple can go any smaller but with carbon Fiber now being used more dropping the dent magnet aluminum would be a start. This is thread is more of a rant but I can't help getting pissed when I see things like the Sharp MP30, 2.7lbs with a media drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I?m getting tired of carrying a 4.6lb PowerBook. To keep my portable business, Apple needs to come out with a sub-notebook. The 12-inch feels and looks like a brick and is the farthest thing to road warriors dream. With the lack of a decent mobile processor I don?t know how Apple can go any smaller but with carbon Fiber now being used more dropping the dent magnet aluminum would be a start. This is thread is more of a rant but I can't help getting pissed when I see things like the Sharp MP30, 2.7lbs with a media drive.

dude.... no one i have ever talked to has said anything other than how light my 12" pbook is. have you ever picked up a Dull laptop??? everyone that picks mine up says "wow, thats really light!" if 4.6 pounds is too heavy for you, then you need to go to the gym. its hardly noticeable in my backpack i take to class.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

dude.... no one i have ever talked to has said anything other than how light my 12" pbook is. have you ever picked up a Dull laptop??? everyone that picks mine up says "wow, thats really light!" if 4.6 pounds is too heavy for you, then you need to go to the gym. its hardly noticeable in my backpack i take to class.

I'm 6 1, 190lb work out 1:30 hours a day. This thing is heavy compared to every other notebook in its size (I've done my homework). It is heavy, a friggen brick. I would give it slack if it were tough, but it's not. I've killed two Power 12ers in the last year, all traveling. If your happy with this thing in your bag cool, I'm not. Hence the bitching trip, Apple can you please give me a 3lb notebook. Plus dude I'm a geek, while taking on the phone with my left hand I'm holding and looking at my Powerbook with the right.

Also a proud owner of a NetBook Epoc special.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Could just be me, but it looks like Apple's going to be losing your business.

I used to sell the Sony 505 series notebooks in my store - those things were a nightmare for us. I can't fathom how much more fragile something two thirds to half the weight would be. Who knows - it might be decent, but I really can't see it just yet.

It's impressive that you've managed to kill two Powerbooks in a single year. I've only got a lowly little iBook but it's used for my full time school career as well as my full time job in retail electronics sales and management. I use it more than I use my home PC. I've had it since September and it runs identical to the way it did day one. I've got a mount for it in my car when I don't have any other place to work (naturally while the car is in park) and I've done the cell, notebook, briefcase/backpack juggle.

I don't want to cross a personal line but mayhaps you need to take it a bit easier on your electronics. It'd be better for your wallet AND the environment.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Can i get a few links to these 12" pc notebooks that weigh less and are more durable? i just find it unlikely, maybe you'd be better off with some weights and start curling a bit, cause that 1.5 hours you work out can't be your arms if less than 5 lb's is too much. My gradma walks 4 miles a day carrying 2-5lb weights, i think she could take you mb?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

Can i get a few links to these 12" pc notebooks that weigh less and are more durable? i just find it unlikely, maybe you'd be better off with some weights and start curling a bit, cause that 1.5 hours you work out can't be your arms if less than 5 lb's is too much. My gradma walks 4 miles a day carrying 2-5lb weights, i think she could take you mb?

I would like to see these as well. Find something that has a Superdrive equivalent and all the ports. (Firewire, USB, video, etc.)

Then look into battery life and the size of powercord/brick.

I've had several work supplied PC laptops that attempted to be equal to my 12" PB. They don't quite make it. Plus, they generally costed more.

I travel via airports at least once a week. Have had this PB as soon as they were made available. It is in primo condition. Doesn't seem to scratch like the iBook I had before.

You can get lighter machines but by the time you add up the weight of the accessories, you have more bulk and more weight.

If you can live with a machine that doesn't have all the features of the PB then Apple does not make one of those. Just like the rest of the Apple lineup, they don't sell things without the hubcaps. Out of box experience is the way they do it.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    I bet you those other 12" notebooks does not have something that the 12" Pbook has. Maybe no optical drive, fewer ports, maybe a small battery(say good bye to portability), or lacks a full size keyboard. My cat is heavier than my pbook and she barely gives me any arm strain. I am 5'6 and 150 pounds fyi.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    I've had my 12" for over a year and never, not once, thought it was too heavy. If you need to hold your laptop in one hand so you can do whatever it is you do with your other, I suggest you consider a PalmPilot or the like.

Plus, what can you do with your laptop when you are talking on the phone with one hand and holding it with the other? Type with your nose?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    People I just want a lighter notebook; can care less if it can make movies, burn to a DVD or transforms into a bike lock. I swear, God forbid if my needs go outside the scope of the Apple line. There are people like me who desire small and light electronics because it?s easier to transport. If campus life or short trips to work were the extent of my travels I wouldn?t be complaining, in fact I would have the 17-inch. I fly on a regular bases, 80 days a year I live out of a suitcase. These means I have to be selective on the things I bring because of weight, 2lbs frees up a lot of space for iPods and such. I would like to see a smaller Apple notebook; the 12-inch is too heavy (for me).

Until that time here are the machines I?m currently looking at; is there other sub-notebooks I should consider?

Sharp MP30

Sony VAIO T150

IBM X40

Panasonic Toughbook" target="_blank">Panasonic Toughbook-W2

Panasonic Toughbook-T2

Flybook
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

That Toughbook W2 looks pretty good, though...

It'll be about half as fast as the PowerBook (Pentium M 1.1GHz)

Oh... and there's no SuperDrive option.

And it takes a maximum of 512MB RAM.

No Firewire, either.

But it has a PC card slot, which the 12" PowerBook does not. Guess you could stick FW in there.

Oh... AND IT COSTS $2300!!!

You can grab them for about 1800 - 1900 bucks, 2300 is Panasonics sticker. It's a cools machine but the memory makes me cringe. The Toughbooks can literally be thrown across a room too, though I would think twice before you demo this feature. The Powerbook is not twice as fast as the 1.1; in fact I would give the edge to the Centrino over the 1.33 G4 (less cache).

Out of all of them I think I fancy the Sharp the most. It has the ability to play a DVD on the fly without booting into any OS and the battery is 4.5 hours with normal use. Better then my Powerbook 12-inch at 2.5 hours (normal use). Plus it weighs 2.7lbs and still retains a media drive. Although it has a Transmeta chip it?s clocked high enough at 1.6mhz to compete with the other Centrinos.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

Out of all of them I think I fancy the Sharp the most. It has the ability to play a DVD on the fly without booting into any OS and the battery is 4.5 hours with normal use. Better then my Powerbook 12-inch at 2.5 hours (normal use). Plus it weighs 2.7lbs and still retains a media drive. Although it has a Transmeta chip it?s clocked high enough at 1.6mhz to compete with the other Centrinos.

Apple claims 5 hours of battery life on a 12" PowerBook, so I would take that battery life with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

Apple claims 5 hours of battery life on a 12" PowerBook, so I would take that battery life with a grain of salt.

True that. On the Sharp boards owners have been getting 3.5 - 4 hours with iTunes playing in the background and WiFi however.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    i cant believe this guy started a rant against the 12 inch cuz he wants it 1 pound less. wtf?

someone is giving you some fake weights to work with man
  • Reply 13 of 38
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    To each his own.

Currently, you can get a refurbished 12" Superdrive PB for $1549 direct from Apple. Fully featured.

If all you want is lighter, don't care about features, speed, etc are willing to spend more for that, great.

I certainly know how much an extra pound means to me as much as I travel.

For me, it is very difficult to give up the features or worst yet, drag around extra components because of what is optional or missing. Using a compromised machine for sometimes half the work is just not acceptable for me.

Again. To each their own. Good luck.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Unless it's been stated before, consider that Steven P. Jobs and the company both seem to value fully featured portables. Some of those laptops you showed through links seem interesting, especially with IBM biometrics. But remember; while you may not care about burning or playing DVDs, a lot of people do. CDs and DVDs can be used very effectively for work, depending on what people do. It's more reliable than a 3.5-inch floppy and its magnetic issues. And also consider how many people want or need desktop replacements; no optical drives, no this and no that doesn't work.

It's unfortunate your PowerBook does not meet your needs, but when considering these points and how economies of scale can work against Apple (it's not IBM, Matsushita/Panasonic or Sony), your decision seems obvious. Good luck with your next purchase.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

i always get 5 hours out of mine (about 9 months old). on one occasion i got a 6 hour battery life
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

It's unfortunate your PowerBook does not meet your needs, but when considering these points and how economies of scale can work against Apple (it's not IBM, Matsushita/Panasonic or Sony), your decision seems obvious. Good luck with your next purchase.

Thanks, the PowerBook is a great machine just a pound in a half too heavy. My sub-notebook needs; at least this time around will have to go to a different vendor. I know Apple has a limit as to what it can offer but it seems every other major computer manufacture offers a sub-notebook in the 3lbs or less category. So anyway I purchased the Sharp MP30, bought three batteries and bag to go with it. I just opened it up and am now installing NetBSD. The instant on DVD player is really cool, it has a mini controller connected to earphones for simple pause, stop and play functions. I love new toys, always puts a smile to my face.

Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

i cant believe this guy started a rant against the 12 inch cuz he wants it 1 pound less. wtf?

someone is giving you some fake weights to work with man

Yeah! This guy must be nut's to want a lighter Powerbook, I mean convenience sucks man. Kiss my fuzzy white """""""" If you read earlier ME TRAVEL, ME NO WANT EXTRA WEIGHT.

Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i always get 5 hours out of mine (about 9 months old). on one occasion i got a 6 hour battery life

Sorry, I have to call foal on that one. I have never ever gotten 5 hours on my Powerbook, iBook 700mhz yes.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    The entire point of this thread seems a little moot.

Apple doesn't offer what you want yet you seem content to bicker about what it does offer and you've chosen the same notebook twice this year (thrice if you decide to go with the 12" PB again). You seem to have plenty of other options picked out - what's the point of jumping on the board to complain about what IS offered?

I can almost see the point of "I value your opinions incredibly as you are all charming and intelligent people..." - Almost! However, we're Apple fans - did you really think you were going to get anything other than "uh... chief, we're pretty happy with the specs on the PB, so, like, pick whatever you want from the list you've got; we can't give a rats patoot what you end up with."

So print your list. Toss a dart at it. Purchase said notebook - let us know how it works out for you. That pound and a half has got to count for something... right? Right??

If you're really interested in seeing the spec on the PB change submit the idea to Apple or post your suggestions in Future Hardware (there IS a gnat's chance in a tornado that it might get picked up).

Anything else at this point is just trollin' for hollers.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Sorry, I have to call foal on that one. I have never ever gotten 5 hours on my Powerbook, iBook 700mhz yes.

ok... well i do.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Why not just say you want a 10" powerbook..i bet we could not the weight down

10.4" XGA TFT LCD that's the size of your sharp, and all i see you saying you use it for is dvd's ...get a dvd player and save some money and travel even lighter mb.

I guess i still don't understand the weight factor. You absolutely sound like a chick....wait I think most are stronger in this case.

Enjoy your toy, because honestly that's about all it is, and an expensive one for stick arms i guess.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    It sounds like what you really want is a PocketPC.

But seriously, I am going to make fun of you here, and say that quibbling about the noticeable difference of half a kilo is pathetic. In the one to two kilo range, which is roughly what the subject is, you're going to be more impacted by the size of the device than the weight. Your bag probably weighs somewhere between 1 and 2 kg itself. Beyond that, Apple's power converter is the lightest and smallest one I have ever seen

As far as I can tell, you want something small. Get a PDA with a fold up keyboard or something. There are a lot of little handheld terminals coming on the market as well.