iTunes to home stereo via Airport Express

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've always enjoyed playing iTunes on my G4 via a USB cable and some sound sticks. So now to expand the music into the rest of the house I've just installed an Airport Express Base Station next to, and connected to, my home stereo and put an Airport Extreme card into my G4. It plays fine but...

In iTunes I can either select 'computer' (with my sound sticks pre selected in the system prefs) or my airport station - not BOTH.

Is there any way that I can have iTunes playing through both outlets - that would really blow the neighbours away!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nope. It's an issue of lag.

iTunes converts the MP3/AAC to audio for local speakers -> fast

vs.

iTunes converts the MP3/AAC to audio, the recompresses to Apple Lossless, transmits over the network, and the AirPort Express decompresses the AL into audio -> not as fast

Even if there's just a .25sec difference, the sound coming out of your home speakers would be .25sec behind your local speakers, which would sound like crap.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    it'd be like a flanger, as john lennon used to say "flange that sucker"
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks guys - I suspected there'd be something like that. So I guess it's gotta be Led Zepplin in the lounge and Eric Clapton through my sound sticks!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If you read my first post you will see I now enjoy iTunes on my home stereo in another room.

However, I also like to listen to BBC radio via ?Internet Explorer? and ?Realone Player?, but at the moment I can only hear this on my computer, or through the attached ?sound sticks?.

Is there anything I can do to also have this service via my new ?Airport? setup? There doesn?t seem to be any prefs in Internet Explorer or Realone Player that will allow me to do this?

?unless you guys know differently?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by David Coasby

If you read my first post you will see I now enjoy iTunes on my home stereo in another room.

However, I also like to listen to BBC radio via ?Internet Explorer? and ?Realone Player?, but at the moment I can only hear this on my computer, or through the attached ?sound sticks?.

Is there anything I can do to also have this service via my new ?Airport? setup? There doesn?t seem to be any prefs in Internet Explorer or Realone Player that will allow me to do this?

?unless you guys know differently?

Maybe Apple might implement AirPort express into the system sound for future OSs. That way if you were on a powerbook you could watch a dvd with external speakers and no wires, that would be cool! AirTunes in DVD player!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I thought DeCSS Jon had written a hack to do just that? It added AirPort Express to the Output panel in the Sounds System Pref, IIRC. I could be wrong, but...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I thought DeCSS Jon had written a hack to do just that? It added AirPort Express to the Output panel in the Sounds System Pref, IIRC. I could be wrong, but...

is there a link anywhere? or shall i just search in google? thanks