Plea for an Apple Cleaner

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Let's face it, since Discreet bought Cleaner it's in the fridge. And buggy too. Apple's own Quicktime already does a good job exporting a myriad of compression formats, and as I experienced last week, better than Cleaner. It only misses a real interface with some features like a dynamic preview and the like. It should be fairly easy for Apple to implement, since they already have a powerfull engine with Quicktime. And the Mac-platform really needs a good multimedia compression program (Compressor only does mpg2).

Why isn't Apple doing this ? Money ? Strategy ? Politics ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Let's face it, since Discreet bought Cleaner it's in the fridge. And buggy too. Apple's own Quicktime already does a good job exporting a myriad of compression formats, and as I experienced last week, better than Cleaner. It only misses a real interface with some features like a dynamic preview and the like. It should be fairly easy for Apple to implement, since they already have a powerfull engine with Quicktime. And the Mac-platform really needs a good multimedia compression program (Compressor only does mpg2).

Why isn't Apple doing this ? Money ? Strategy ? Politics ?

Probably because Quicktime is being given an overhaul.

When it emerges - and I expect that to be soon - things like this will drop into place nicely.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

When it emerges - and I expect that to be soon - things like this will drop into place nicely.

I have my doubts, but let's hope so. Apple needs such a program if it want's to be an important player in the multimedia/video market.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Cleaner is a joke. Don't even bother trying to do MP4 exports.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Cleaner is a joke. Don't even bother trying to do MP4 exports.

... or anything else.

But try exporting to WMA or Real on the Mac platform. Quicktime can't. Cleaner is the only one (by my knowing) who can, be it only WMA8 (?) and Real 8. Apple needs to adress this issue urgently. In the meantime we have to use PC's just for this ... \
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:

... or anything else.

But try exporting to WMA or Real on the Mac platform. Quicktime can't. Cleaner is the only one (by my knowing) who can, be it only WMA8 (?) and Real 8. Apple needs to adress this issue urgently. In the meantime we have to use PC's just for this ... \

I used to use Cleaner for a long while, then it died. Compressor doesn't cut it. Sorensen Squeeze is the best out there supporting many future Codecs that will come out for Tiger and advanced QT codecs (H.264 and its variants).

Here is a great article on Squeeze 4. I used Cleaner 6 with Sorenson Video Pro 3.3 codec. The codec is $500 and Cleaner was also around the same. Squeeze is half that with Sorenson V3 which is still is the best video codec for QT until next version of QT/(Tiger) is available. Also, cleaner had no viable support for Real.

BTW, it would be questionable if Apple did produce a cleaner like product that it would export to Real or WMV or Flash Video.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...4_carroll.html
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    try VLC player

the name is mis leading since it actually incorporates a server function and transcoder. Not sure about all the exports, but we've been using it for quite a lot of projects (mostly just MPEG2, but still).

www.videolan.org
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

... or anything else.

Not true for Real Media. You have 2 options. Squeeze will export Real 10 or you could install Real Export and export to Real 10 from any quicktime aware app.