Monitor for PowerMac G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been using the same 15-inch Apple Studio Display (ADC) since I got my G4 several years ago. I'd like some more screen real estate, but I don't need too much. I've been happy with the Studio Display, and I've considered the 17-inch version. There still seem to be a few of them available out there, and it fits my price range (about $700). I know I'll need an ADC/DVI adaptor to use any non-apple monitor, but does anyone know of any other alternatives that might work with with the GeForce2 MX in my G4?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by dylanw23

I've been using the same 15-inch Apple Studio Display (ADC) since I got my G4 several years ago. I'd like some more screen real estate, but I don't need too much. I've been happy with the Studio Display, and I've considered the 17-inch version. There still seem to be a few of them available out there, and it fits my price range (about $700). I know I'll need an ADC/DVI adaptor to use any non-apple monitor, but does anyone know of any other alternatives that might work with with the GeForce2 MX in my G4?

Thanks.

I dont know if you're looking for a CRT at all but I have a 17" Studio Display (ADC) in absolute pristine condition that I havent used since I got my PowerBook. Honestly I've been procrastinating putting it on Ebay but if anyone is interested in it I will be glad to send digital pictures. I would only want $60.00 for it and whatever shipping costs.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dylanw23

I've been using the same 15-inch Apple Studio Display (ADC) since I got my G4 several years ago.

Im not if you'll like the styling, but I really like my Dell 1703 Ultrasharp. Make sure to get the Ultrasharp, they sell some cheaper models.

It has:

- quite nice specs, although it is getting old, so not as good as a new LCD.

- pivot ( not very useful in OS X ).

- analoge and digital inputs, with a convenient button to change between them.

- 4 port usb hub.

- good stand ( like the original Apple 15" LCD ).

- integrated power supply ( no bricks ).

- CHEAP, last time I looked it was well under $400.

- the design is pretty muted, a simple, thin, black bezel, with just a little dimension to it, and some silver highlights that are pretty much out of sight.

- VESA mounting bracket.

All in all, a very nice monitor. In fact, if you are looking to spend about $700 you could probably get a 2001 or 2005 ( 20" and 20" widescreen ). The 2001 was down to $530 a couple of weeks ago. The 2005 is new, and has good specs.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Im not if you'll like the styling, but I really like my Dell 1703 Ultrasharp. Make sure to get the Ultrasharp, they sell some cheaper models.

It has:

- quite nice specs, although it is getting old, so not as good as a new LCD.

- pivot ( not very useful in OS X ).

- analoge and digital inputs, with a convenient button to change between them.

- 4 port usb hub.

- good stand ( like the original Apple 15" LCD ).

- integrated power supply ( no bricks ).

- CHEAP, last time I looked it was well under $400.

- the design is pretty muted, a simple, thin, black bezel, with just a little dimension to it, and some silver highlights that are pretty much out of sight.

- VESA mounting bracket.

All in all, a very nice monitor. In fact, if you are looking to spend about $700 you could probably get a 2001 or 2005 ( 20" and 20" widescreen ). The 2001 was down to $530 a couple of weeks ago. The 2005 is new, and has good specs.

Thanks. The Dell 1703 has been recommended to me by others, as well. The price is certainly right. How is the viewing angle? My Apple 15" is nearly perfect, and I'm a little concerned about a having big color changes when looking at it from anything but a straight-ahead angle.