iTunes Help: Moving Music Between Drives....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The MacNN Message board was no help (yet) so I will try here...

Okay, so I have roughly 160GBs of music (yes, it is all legal) on an external hard drive. I am out of space, and would like to retire the music on my new iMac G5 and when I copy all of the music over, it of course comes up with a broken link in iTunes, telling me it cannot find the music....that makes sense since it is no longer on the external hard drive.

Now, is there a fast, more stream lined way to update all of these songs so I do not have to drag and drop them back into the playlists or double click to find the songs?

Just thought I would ask......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

The MacNN Message board was no help (yet) so I will try here...

Okay, so I have roughly 160GBs of music (yes, it is all legal) on an external hard drive. I am out of space, and would like to retire the music on my new iMac G5 and when I copy all of the music over, it of course comes up with a broken link in iTunes, telling me it cannot find the music....that makes sense since it is no longer on the external hard drive.

Now, is there a fast, more stream lined way to update all of these songs so I do not have to drag and drop them back into the playlists or double click to find the songs?

Just thought I would ask......

160GB of music stored on your OS drive in your iMacG5 is really gonna slow things down. you should keep it on the external, or get a bigger external drive.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

160GB of music stored on your OS drive in your iMacG5 is really gonna slow things down. you should keep it on the external, or get a bigger external drive.

It is already pretty slow on an external drive (with my old PowerMac G4), but I have since bought a new drive to transfer all the songs over to, so in either case....got any advice?