iPod mini revision to deliver storage increase

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A revision to Apple Computer's popular iPod mini digital music player is scheduled to debut early next year, AppleInsider has learned.

According to reliable sources, the iPod mini will see an approximate 25% storage increase that will allow it to carry 1250 songs, up from the player's current maximum capacity of 1000 songs.

Like Dell's new Pocket DJ and Rio's Carbon, sources say the new Apple player will be based around a 5GB hard drive. Hitachi, which supplies Apple with drives for the current line of iPod minis, has yet to officially introduce a 5GB version of its microdrive, though similar offerings are reportedly available from both Seagate and Toshiba.

Capacity figures aside, not much more is known about the revised mini. Rumors of potential color alterations and more 'metallic' finishes are abound, but remain unconfirmed at this time.

Apple introduced the iPod mini in January of 2004 to much fan-fare, but was unable to meet demand for the players until the second half of the year, due to poor planning and inadequate supplies of the 4GB microdrives from component supplier Hitachi.

It's likely for this same reason that Apple has never divulged its sales figures for the iPod mini, claiming only to have sold over 6 million total iPods since the original player launched in 2001.

"They've learned from past mistakes with the mini," said one insider, who expects an ample supply of the revised players to be waiting in a warehouse prior to their unveiling.

Also in early 2005, Apple is expected to launch a flash-based iPod that will sell for below (US)$200.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Apple has not sold 6 million iPods (yet). They have sold about 5.7 million iPods as of Q4 2004.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/12/03/10k/index.php
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Also, I want to speculate personally that I don't think that Apple will come out with a 5 GB mini. I think that they will sell AT LEAST a 6 GB mini, maybe an 8 or 10 GB model. An Hitachi part, not anyone else's. Apple will leap their 'competition'.

Check out the roadmap:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/hddpdf...nology2003.pdf
  • Reply 3 of 36
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    though the fiscal year ended on sept. 25th for apple, so at this point it's almost certain that they have sold 6 million units.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

Also, I want to speculate personally that I don't think that Apple will come out with a 5 GB mini. I think that they will sell AT LEAST a 6 GB mini, maybe an 8 or 10 GB model. An Hitachi part, not anyone else's. Apple will leap their 'competition'.

Check out the roadmap:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/hddpdf...nology2003.pdf

That .pdf has a graph on the first page that clearly indicates that 5 GB is the maximum storage capacity for the microdrive form factor. If Apple develops a 6 GB or more iPod mini, it won't be before 2006.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Moving the mini to 5 GB will just be a normal upgrade based on HD improvements. Changes in colors might add some kick.

The real market killer will be a Flash based iPod and rumors are that there will be one million ready for shipment the day it is announced.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Quote:

The real market killer will be a Flash based iPod and rumors are that there will be one million ready for shipment the day it is announced.

One million Flash-based iPods... it's hard to imagine the market is so healthy for iPods of all types. Apple is cleaning house.

Now the online stores just need something to "invigorate the senses" a bit more... they are beginning to look a little stale.

Not sure what that would be... maybe some color depth rather than the flat blue on the home page.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Damn damn damn, I'm supposed to get one for christmas...
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryceb

That .pdf has a graph on the first page that clearly indicates that 5 GB is the maximum storage capacity for the microdrive form factor.

I don't think the graph clearly shows that at all. In fact it looks a little unclear on that point. Unclear enough that there could be something larger than 5GB in early 2005. What is clear from the graph (and graphs aren't reality BTW) is 10GB in 2005...and one could interpret that to be the beginning of 2005.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Moving the mini to 5 GB will just be a normal upgrade based on HD improvements. Changes in colors might add some kick.

The rumor I read suggested two million actually. Either way...nice.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Damn damn damn, I'm supposed to get one for christmas...

Kwitcherbitchin, I still have a Gen 1 iPod I love dearly.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Geh. I'd love a Mini, but I already have more than 4 Gb of music and I'm barely halfway through ripping my music collection! I need at least a 10 Gb model, and you're telling me that might be '06?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Geh. I'd love a Mini, but I already have more than 4 Gb of music and I'm barely halfway through ripping my music collection! I need at least a 10 Gb model, and you're telling me that might be '06?

Of course you can still get the regular iPod. I understand that it is a heavyweight in comparison...but this is a relative distinction. It's still pretty small in its own right.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    wow, I'll be surprised if they can only squeeze out one more gb on the mini - would it really be worth the upgrade, or should they wait until 6-8 gb are available?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't understand--what mistake could Apple have avoided that would have allowed them to sell more Minis?

If Hitachi only made so many HDs, then how does Apple have to learn from that? All they could have done differently is downplayed the device to reduce demand... and I don't see how that would have helped them.

(I wonder how many Mini shoppers settled for a 20 GB instead?)
  • Reply 15 of 36
    I guess they could have introduced them later, but then you might argue that they would have missed out on all of the pre-orders...
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by sworthy

I guess they could have introduced them later, but then you might argue that they would have missed out on all of the pre-orders...

This would have indeed been a mistake. There is nothing wrong at all (contrary to the opinion of many on these boards) with announcing a product (a reasonable length of time) previous to its availability. It helps gauge demand and build accordingly. Wouldn't Apple have looked even worse if it had pre-built 2M iPod Minis and only sold 500,000?!?! (Many on these boards predicted the Mini to be a flop BTW.)
  • Reply 17 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    And either way... how would announcing later have helped them to sell more Minis?

In other words, what mistake will they NOT repeat with the next Mini, so as to avoid whatever sales they lost the first time?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

And either way... how would announcing later have helped them to sell more Minis?

In other words, what mistake will they NOT repeat with the next Mini, so as to avoid whatever sales they lost the first time?

The only Apple can do to insure that last year's fiasco doesn't repeat itself, is to make sure they have a adequate supply at the time of announcement. Just pray for an excellent and prompt supply chain and NO manufacturing problems.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

The only Apple can do to insure that last year's fiasco doesn't repeat itself, is to make sure they have a adequate supply at the time of announcement. Just pray for an excellent and prompt supply chain and NO manufacturing problems.

First, why was last year (BTW...I assume you actually mean earlier THIS year...since iPod Mini was only announced in January) a "fiasco"? Please explain?

Second, there is always great risk in building inventory in advance of sales/announcement...perhaps greater risk than in having a shortage. It is always a delicate balancing act. Apple has a better gauge on demand now, so pre-building a million flash Pods might be a reasonably (and not so) risky move.

Still, I would argue that last year (again...earlier THIS year) was NOT a fiasco. Apple sold all of the iPod Minis that they could make. How is that a "fiasco"? Yes, they certainly might have lost SOME sales to people that chose not to wait. But this is likely a small percentage, and there is a good bet that these folks will be back once supply catches up to demand (which it pretty much has already).
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

First, why was last year (BTW...I assume you actually mean earlier THIS year...since iPod Mini was only announced in January) a "fiasco"? Please explain?

Second, there is always great risk in building inventory in advance of sales/announcement...perhaps greater risk than in having a shortage. It is always a delicate balancing act. Apple has a better gauge on demand now, so pre-building a million flash Pods might be a reasonably (and not so) risky move.

Still, I would argue that last year (again...earlier THIS year) was NOT a fiasco. Apple sold all of the iPod Minis that they could make. How is that a "fiasco"? Yes, they certainly might have lost SOME sales to people that chose not to wait. But this is likely a small percentage, and there is a good bet that these folks will be back once supply catches up to demand (which it pretty much has already).

Maybe fiasco wasn't the most appropriate word. I was just referring to supply/demand issues. My point was that Apple should make sure it has an adequate supply before the announcement. That will prevent delays. Hopefully, the stars will align for Apple next year, as they haven't this year.

I understand that Apple doesn't control aspects of their supply chain (ie Hitachi HDDs), but I DO hope that they will be able to get the supplies they need so they don't have do delay any product launches (iPod mini worldwide release, iMac G5) in the future.