No G5 PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

I forgot to say the G5 line doesn't rely on IBM processors... Motorola and their long awaited G5 chip?

As long as Apple continues to use the 970 in its computers, and call them G5's, then yes, the G5 line does rely on IBM CPU's.

There is no official confirmation as to the existence, past or present, of the "Motorola G5". Outside of Motorola/Freescale engineers and executives, as far as the buying public is concerned, that chip does not exist, and never has existed.
  • Reply 82 of 178
    What I mean is Motorola with their Freescale 32 bit/64 bit chip

maybe they could label it with some sort of extension that links it to the G5 range?
  • Reply 83 of 178
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

64-bit will be present in a PB in early 2005 (how many times does it have to be said)!!!!!!

Have you seen this written somewhere? Or you are guessing, like most of us here? Because your statement does not look like a guess.

Quote:

iMac G5, eMac G5 next year, Tiger OS...

and a pro-line PowerBook with a G4 processor and other minor revisions (don't think so).

pro- or no pro-line tells nothing as long as the Powerbook remains ultra-thin and the heat issues persist. Unless you know something. And do not enjoy to share it with us.
  • Reply 84 of 178
    Maybe, maybe not. Fun of the Forums!

Tell you one thing though: Nothing is 100% until a certain Mr Steve Jobs says so...

• Reply 85 of 178
    Quote:

Nothing is 100% until a certain Mr Steve Jobs says so...

Well, this I know already. Tell me something I don't know.
  • Reply 86 of 178
  • Reply 87 of 178
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Last I heard, the nearest equivalent Freescale has to a G5 won't ship until the end of next year. That's according to Freescale's roadmap, and roadmaps are famously optimistic.

Even if Apple gets the chip early, as they did with the 7455s, you're talking the second half of next year. Every machine in the line should have at least one upgrade before then. IBM is working on 970 variants due early next year, so those are our best bet for upgrades in the near term.

My personal hunch is that Freescale's 64 bit e700 core, when it appears, will end up taking the iBook (and eMac, if that's still around) to 64 bits if it ends up in a Mac at all.
  • Reply 88 of 178
    Too true...
  • Reply 89 of 178
    Quote:

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Last time I checked Apple are creating very exciting products that happen to make a shed load of cash at the same time. [/B]

We want the MONEY to buy them!
  • Reply 90 of 178
    I believe Apple wants to use IBM PPCs in all Macs. The heat issue is almost (if not already) solved). The real issue is the supply of G5s. If there are a lot, the eMac and iBook will get versions of the G5. this will put all the Macs on the same page so that the OS and application support can develop unhindered.

The Powerbook G5 is all but certain to be unveiled at MacWorld and the eMac G5 right behind that. The iBooks next revision will probably see it sporting a G5 as well. The iMac is a priority for Apple since it makes so much money, as is the iBook. the Pro line will probably be the one that we wait for shipping on because Apple needs to move the consumer line enough to make a good volume profit.

while the Freescale procs are interesting, I do not put much stock in them. Sure they are marketing them to Apple, but that does not mean that they fit in Apples plans.
  • Reply 91 of 178
    I predicted a while ago that the Powerbook G5 would debut in January and sport 2 GHZ at the top. I started to think that maybe it would only be 1.8 ghz. Now, it looks like 2 ghz is the mark again. A 2 ghz G5 Powerbook would be a beast.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0412powerpc.html
  • Reply 92 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

I believe Apple wants to use IBM PPCs in all Macs. The heat issue is almost (if not already) solved). The real issue is the supply of G5s. If there are a lot, the eMac and iBook will get versions of the G5. this will put all the Macs on the same page so that the OS and application support can develop unhindered.

The Powerbook G5 is all but certain to be unveiled at MacWorld and the eMac G5 right behind that. The iBooks next revision will probably see it sporting a G5 as well. The iMac is a priority for Apple since it makes so much money, as is the iBook. the Pro line will probably be the one that we wait for shipping on because Apple needs to move the consumer line enough to make a good volume profit.

while the Freescale procs are interesting, I do not put much stock in them. Sure they are marketing them to Apple, but that does not mean that they fit in Apples plans.

No way iBooks are getting a G5 before powerbooks do. iBooks probably going to have a G4 for a long time. The next rev of iBooks will only have faster G4's for a looooong time. It will basically be the only thing that will distinguish the powerbook from the iBook.
  • Reply 93 of 178
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

The iBooks next revision will probably see it sporting a G5 as well.

I don't think so. How long was it from the PowerBook G3 till the iBook G3?

2 years

How long from a PowerBook G4 to a iBook G5?

2 and a half years

While I'm not suggesting that an iBook G5 will be here in 3 years I really don't think it'll be as soon as 2005. The iBooks are selling really well and i see minor revisions on the horizon but nothing major till 2006 (or late 2005 but not a G5). Apple like to have a couple of processors in their line-up. It's useful if there are supply issues.

(BTW a PowerMac G4 was two years earlier than a PowerBook G4)
  • Reply 94 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

No way iBooks are getting a G5 before powerbooks do. iBooks probably going to have a G4 for a long time. The next rev of iBooks will only have faster G4's for a looooong time. It will basically be the only thing that will distinguish the powerbook from the iBook.

I never thought iBooks would be updated first. Powerbooks definitely will be first. Most likely in January. the ibook sjust recieved a revision, so that buys Apple time to get a G5 ready for that line. there may be a G4 speed bump to 1.5 ghz in there, but that wouldbe the max before G5. it does not make sense for the iBooks to have only G4s for a long time if the G5 can go in now. G5 iBooks will either come out late in 2005 or in January 2006. The G5 eMac will probably come out in mid 2005if not earlier. Apple really wants to get everything on the G5 level. The consumer line is Apples cheapo, but the competiton is fierce. a cheapo PC will net you stellar performance compared to an eMac or iBook. the G5 will change that.
  • Reply 95 of 178
    Quote:

Indeed. These boards are so much fun to read sometimes...
  • Reply 96 of 178
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

I never thought iBooks would be updated first. Powerbooks definitely will be first. Most likely in January. the ibook sjust recieved a revision, so that buys Apple time to get a G5 ready for that line. there may be a G4 speed bump to 1.5 ghz in there, but that wouldbe the max before G5. it does not make sense for the iBooks to have only G4s for a long time if the G5 can go in now. G5 iBooks will either come out late in 2005 or in January 2006. The G5 eMac will probably come out in mid 2005if not earlier. Apple really wants to get everything on the G5 level. The consumer line is Apples cheapo, but the competiton is fierce. a cheapo PC will net you stellar performance compared to an eMac or iBook. the G5 will change that.

read my post above, different people have different needs some people don't need dual monitor support, it's available now but not in the iBooks, nor is firewire 800, a G5 is a pro processor it wont be in the iBooks for ages!

(Edit: video mirroring to dual monitor support - you all knew what I meant though!)
  • Reply 97 of 178
    Well done MacCrazy
  • Reply 98 of 178
    I don't care what apple's plans are for the next powerbookline

all i want is a better battery!

and Tiger
  • Reply 99 of 178
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Maybe, maybe not. Fun of the Forums!

Tell you one thing though: Nothing is 100% until a certain Mr Steve Jobs says so...

and even then it may be delayed
  • Reply 100 of 178
    Too true